Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 what school did u learn turing in?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

oh ya... I've heard that you guys are getting a multimedia lab... thats AWESOME, but you still need someone to actually teach you nice stuff. I doubt wayne will spend $3500 per license to install 3DSMAX... he'll probably tell shannon to download photoshop Wink

and yes, server does have C++ installed... I remember trying to use it back in the day...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I would like to sell every book in his office, not like he's read any of them. Approx. value is sure to be in the thousands. Anyways I'll see what can be done about the curriculum, but I know I'm gonna get some bullshit response like "we have to go by the ministry's guidelines". I've heard it before when I want to make things better, everyone should just do as I say. The world would be a better place.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

achotaly compsci is in a new cores in high school so there is not relay an sificate criumale for the cores but a guide line. that means that your compsci calse can use any progaming lauge your school whonts/has.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
sherb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im still learning turing at westmount C.I. in thornhill ontario.
azndragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
achotaly compsci is in a new cores in high school so there is not relay an sificate criumale for the cores but a guide line. that means that your compsci calse can use any progaming lauge your school whonts/has.

It's a semi-new course in my school. 2 years ago, it only went up to Gr. 11. Ever since last year, they've now offered it to Gr. 12 now, probably because now they have teachers that know how to teach it Laughing
yuethomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A. Y. Jackson, North York. Turing is offered only for the TIK2OA course. Grade 11 teaches C++ and grade 12 teacher Java.

Turing is good enough for simple programming, I suppose... but its grammatical limitations have a large impact on its practicality.

(Then again Catalyst can just jump out and prove me totally wrong. Smile )
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the fact that computer science education is different in every school really bothers me... its not right.

such as in my old school (metro prep - Asok's school) its:

gr10 - turing
gr11 - turing
gr12 - java

my new school:

gr10 - Qbasic
gr11 - Visual Basic
gr12 - C++

This really screws up some students. And universities too. Cuz say myself and Asok were to major in compsci (asume Asok didnt learn anything new languages on his own).

first year uni Asok would know turing (doesnt help much) and have half a year experience in Java.

Tony would know Visual Basic and have a year of C++ experience.

Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my school is diffent

10 - turing
11- turing/java
12 - cancelled (for now)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

CANCELED? Shocked

speaking of multiple languages...

my grade12 is actually:

VB/C++/Java

but VB was just a review from last year's (though I managed to learn most of it although it was new to me... 8) )

C++ - we did some stuff...

Java? Was somewhere in plans... dont think we'll actually get to it. My teacher just assigned us our ISPs and taking the rest of the year "off"
yuethomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Java needs a full year to teach, seriously. First there's the introduction of OOP to throw you off, and just as you get comfortable with it, Applet design with Swing comes along.

It's one hard topic after another.
Catalyst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hopefully there will be enough kids in comp sci when i get to gr.12 for them to bring it back (they took b/c hardly ne one took the course)
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

my schools is dfrent dpeanding on teacher:

grade 10 - turng
grade 11 -was turing now is c++
grade 12 - was c++ now is canclied*

*my school says you need at least 75 in grade 11 compsci to go on to grade 12 compsci and right now only 4 poleop including me are at or above that mark in school. plus i am moving this year so now it is 3, and you need at least 9 poleop to have a coures.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that's because I have a general opinion that the majority of people are moronic. That's also why I'm assuming we have a double year of turing as opposed to C++. Tony you've been to metro, you know what I'm talking about Wink
yuethomas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, teaching the same language two years in a row tends to get boring...

Plus C++ isn't all *that* good at handling OOP stuff, and it can't do GUI applications easily either.
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

right, but C++ is most commonly used in the field, so it makes sence to teach it in high school so students can become comfortable with it. I mean isn't that the whole point of highschool to prepare you for what lies beyond?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 7  [ 92 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: