Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Good Computer Site
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

most people dont realise that computers evolve , i mean now we on 32 wehad 16 and 8 , but let me say this , not only is the athalon 64 amazing but its BACKWARDS COMPATIBLY , i know arnt you shocked , yes that means not only do you own the fastest home cpu there is , but you can also play a good ol game of counterstrike on your pc , thats why when 64 gets fully implemented it will sweep hte market , becuase there will be no problems wiht peopole not being able to use all hte apps they bought ,
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

*mouth waters* i cant wait to get one of these. BTW i beleive athlon is the only company with 64bit that is compatible withh windows
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

there the first one the market , and the cheapest , but the 64 bit windows was released about a month ago i believe, it beats windows 32 , wiht flying colors , and is just phenominaly better ,
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

*mouth waters again*
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
there the first one the market , and the cheapest , but the 64 bit windows was released about a month ago i believe, it beats windows 32 , wiht flying colors , and is just phenominaly better ,

ROFL, not right now. shure go try the windows xp 64bit batea test. if u are VERY lucky your computer may turn on, lol.

to have a 64bit os u need to have all your drivers 64bit comablte, even ones like for the mother borad, logic chips, ect. so the odds of it wroking right are low. and affter that u need to have comable appliations to uses with it.

right now just is not the time for 64bit, give it a few months to a year when every one starts going 64bit and geting all the bugs out then it will be phenominualy better (may be).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i was talking about hte full version , and using iit on a 64 based system , i was looking at hte benchmarks , i belive we were talking about it becomeing popular in the furute but , the way its going now , its looking like 64 is really going to make an impact
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i will bivle it when i see it w/o 1000 blue screens, lol
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Man, put linux on it. Mozilla is better than IE anyway.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
roer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok....you guys kind of have your bases covered.

First of all websites to buy your computer:
www.ncix.com
www.pccanada.com
www.tigerdirect.com
www.pricenetwork.ca

Quote:
if you wanna buy a kick but comp dont buy a 32 , i was just thinking that within mabye 2 years , 64 will be all over the market , i mean its already starting to take over , 32 will be obsolete soon ot come , the best time to buy a cmputer is when you go to university and by that time 64 should be at a normal price , and should be like what 32 is now , id hold off and get a 64 , but if you really want a computer now i guess go right ahead

You can get an AMD64 3000+ for around $310, I'd say thats pretty good for new technology. And 32 bit wont be obsolete anytime soon, have you seen a 64bit application that you find useful yet? 64bit has been around since October and only a few developers are talking about 64bit applications, they know if they make exclusive 64bit software they are leaving about 90% of the computer population away from their product. There are no 64bit games (Epic is remaking UT2K3 for 64bit I believe though) AMD got a headstart on the 64bit race but its a shame because theres no software to maximize its full potential.

Quote:
They still haven't come out with a Pentium 5 chip

Just to tell you, Intel is going to change the name Pentium after they finish their Pentium 4 line. Its almost done however, Prescot was released Feburary 2nd, Tejas will be released in June and Nerahelm will be the next breed Twisted Evil

Quote:
Why would they , there aiming at 64 bit now , they will restart the cycle with a new name it will stop at p4 , if not p5 will be the last , and why would you buy it , by the time it would be out , the 64 bit woulr would be ruling , if you could afford a p5 you could afford a 64

Apparently Intel's working on 64bit compatibilty and will release around the time WindowsXP64 comes out. While AMD pushed forward this technology Intel sat back and relaxed. Prescot might have 64bit on the chip but its disabled. P4 "B" had hyperthreading but it didnt have it enabled, just because Intel had leverage. If their B chips were doing bad they could release hyperthreading, if not, they would release it on their next-gen chips.

Quote:
*mouth waters* i cant wait to get one of these. BTW i beleive athlon is the only company with 64bit that is compatible withh windows

http://www.intel.com/products/server/processors/server/itanium2/

This is one of the reasons Intel's hesistant to move to 64bit. Intel spent millions if not billions on the itanium project. If they moved their desktop CPU's over to 64bit then the itanium's would be worth less and it would really hurt their pockets.

Intel will eventually make the jump to 64bit, but their technology for desktops will be immature while AMD will have matured their cores and refined their manufacturing techniques. If I were you I'd wait until Summer when AMD will release their San Diego core, you wont be dissapointed. Unless you need a computer right now, if its that the case get the AMD64 3000+ for an amazing price/performance ratio.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Gaming performance actually drops on windows xp 64 bit, but that's more than likely because of unoptomized drivers.
recneps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why should everything have to change, the way i see it, from someones explanations, 64 bit is just 64 processes per second compared to 32... isnt it??? *confused* Confused
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it has to change because it processes totally different , im not sure on hte deep techinical aspects , but in basis its the fact that , also things have to change becasue yes if you bring 64 on the market everythignn will still work , but if you dont have one , and all the software goes to 64 , then you cant run anything new , the guys post above me ( the looong one ) explains everyhitng really well
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

64 bit whould be gr8 but whould it mean even less combatibity in the computer world? i dont whont to be upgrading all my comps in a year just b/c they stoped sporting 32bit or somting crazy like that.

any how i think this topic was sposted to be about buying computers, and as for 64bit cpu's in new computers i whould say dont go for it. it is not worth it yet. may be when EVERYTHING is 64bit comablet but till then it is only somting to impperse poleop, just like 1000mb network crads, there gr8 but almost no one has 1000mb networks.
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ut apparently , after all the testing , its fully compatible they havent found an app that wont run yet , the athalon 64 has a good word to its name ( thast what tech tv says )
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dan, its not that expensive... you can get a motherboard and a cpu for 600-700 bux
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 5  [ 61 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: