Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Good Computer Site
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i found them the same, but i haven't really explored xp so i don't know. the way i buy computers is if you have the money, buy really good stuff that you probably do not need, but will need in the future so you don't have to upgrade again or buy another computer.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya i might just wait till i get a job or till i go to university but i dont wanna wait 2 years Sad
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if ur getting a new comp, get an athlon 64 fx if ur rich or a normal athlon 64 if ur not that rich... trust me u wont regret it
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya i just saw those, supposed to be sweet. Im not rich tho Sad
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you wanna buy a kick but comp dont buy a 32 , i was just thinking that within mabye 2 years , 64 will be all over the market , i mean its already starting to take over , 32 will be obsolete soon ot come , the best time to buy a cmputer is when you go to university and by that time 64 should be at a normal price , and should be like what 32 is now , id hold off and get a 64 , but if you really want a computer now i guess go right ahead
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

www.tigerdirect.ca is very cheap.

Now, you want to get this computer all put together. Make sure you have at least 512mb of ram, and that it's all THE SAME brand. If you mix brands of ram, you get nasty effects.

Second, AMD is rated to the approximate pentium processor. Ex. An AMD XP 2000+, while only 1.667 GHz, runs equivilently to a P4 2.0 GHz. For more exact benchmarks, check out www.sharkyextreme.com
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

jonos that's a silly way to buy a computer.
Let's take a look at the processer. If you buy a really good chip that you don't need yet you are buying at the top of the market which is really expensive. If you want a while until the time that you do need that kind of a chip then you will save lots of money.
what I do is buy the cheapest chip of the kind that I want. (I bought a 1.6ghz pentium 4 chip). That way I can upgrade it later if I want to when its cheaper. Seems like its paying off Smile They still haven't come out with a Pentium 5 chip Smile
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why would they , there aiming at 64 bit now , they will restart the cycle with a new name it will stop at p4 , if not p5 will be the last , and why would you buy it , by the time it would be out , the 64 bit woulr would be ruling , if you could afford a p5 you could afford a 64
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i bought high and a lot of good stuff because i had the money, and my parents have saved for university computers, so im gonna buy a really good laptop with that money when it comes to that. my friend and i did a little research and estimating and i will not have to upgrade my computer for a long time, because all the stuff i have has no problem with the currect stuff, as well as some future stuff (hopefully, but probably). thats how i buy guitars, buy really good so i won't need a new neck/bridge in 5/6/7/8/9/10 years. that is how i buy things.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

darkness, the athlon 64 beats the p4 3.2 ghz at any and every benchmark
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ive seen p4 3.8 gHZ now CRAZY.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

doesnt matter, its 32 bit... so it sux ass
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what does 64 bit do? or what does it improve
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the cpu supplies 1s and 0s really fast, with a 32 bit, the cpu can only generate a thread of 32bit sequence each clock cycle for each layer... the p4 has 4 layers, so it could generate four threads of binary, each 32 digits long. with the athlon, there are i think 8 layers of processor, plus since its 64 bits, the chip can create 8 sets of 64 digit binary... and the clock cycle is basicly the ghz... meaning each seconds, how many times the cpu can perform the above... you've taken computer engineering, so u noe what they could do to with the binary sequence using logic gates
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok i see what you mean. Ill have to look into one of those when i go to uni.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 5  [ 61 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: