Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Confusing Problem With View.UpdateArea (Era of War)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
dude we need a working game not a pretty one ,thast why we belive in updates and fixes

Amen shorthair... but as for the idea, I think it will work. I tried this:
code:

Mouse.ButtonChoose ("multibutton")
var mx,my,mbutton : int

loop
    Mouse.Where (mx,my,mbutton)
    if mbutton = 1 then
    exit
    end if
end loop

put "X - Coords: ", mx , " " , "Y - Coords: ", my

and it returned a negative value for Y when I clicked below the window... so could I not use the same thing? when the user clicks on the button on the second window, it will return a negative value, but I still know where the mouse is, so I can call the appropriate function. Yes? No? Maybe?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes you can do that.
I don't understand why no one thinks View.UpdateArea is good. The code that you sent me bio works fine once you make it all fit on the screen (ie. not having huge locates such as 37 and 48 (for the row).
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Both ideas seem to work fine, but the advantage that a second window has, is that it will be very easy to hide or show that window:
e.x. if the user wanted battle statistics they could be put there (e.x. Hvy Tank missed, Light tank hit for 40 dmg).
But that is later, I need to get the game made first
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually having a council window run on the side with stats and messages would be really cool (easier to debug too)...

the only problem would be the constant switching back and forth between the two... and say if the windows switch and the user clicks on the play window before windows switch back, output will end up in the wrong window Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
actually having a council window run on the side with stats and messages would be really cool (easier to debug too)...

the only problem would be the constant switching back and forth between the two... and say if the windows switch and the user clicks on the play window before windows switch back, output will end up in the wrong window

I got the idea from NWN (Never Winter Nights) and really liked it. But, I don't think that getting the right window would be a problem. Before any output is sent, if I put the Window.Select command there should never be an error, from what I understand anyways.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: