Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Startegy Game... Idea Stage (command & conquer)
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

3 different windows will not work out well. Since you'd have to check if the window is still active before every single output which will become a huge drag as we're aiming for max efficiency to pull this project off (well to make it run nicely)

Single window would just look soo much better and View.UpdateArea from 4.0.5 release solves the problem of partial screen updates
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

*hmm* Makes sense ... well, I have worked out my attack and defend formulas on paper, so I will try it soon. It would be really nice to have a moveable window... but if it's too much of a lag, I guess I won't be able to do that.
Mazer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
3 different windows will not work out well. Since you'd have to check if the window is still active before every single output which will become a huge drag as we're aiming for max efficiency to pull this project off (well to make it run nicely)

Single window would just look soo much better and View.UpdateArea from 4.0.5 release solves the problem of partial screen updates

I'm not sure that you'd still have to check for which window is active since you've already blown away the idea of using processes. That means that the only way the active window can change is if the user clicks on a different window for some reason, in which case you just change the active window within the program when you need to draw something to whichever window you need to.
Though it probably would look like crap having three run windows open. And you'll always run into the problem of moron users closing the windows with the X button at the top instead of letting it close by itself when the program is done with it. So, yeah, one window would be optimal.

BioHazardousWaste wrote:

*hmm* Makes sense ... well, I have worked out my attack and defend formulas on paper, so I will try it soon. It would be really nice to have a moveable window... but if it's too much of a lag, I guess I won't be able to do that.

What do you mean, exactly, by having a moveable window? Do you mean having the position of the window move around the screen or like having a scrolling map? If the latter, I don't see why that would cause too much lag, it'd actually be more fun if the battlefield isn't limited to the size of the run windw.
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I meant a seperate window, where the user can see status... e.x.
Factory Built
Infantry Trained
HEAVY TANK does 83 dmg to MEDIUM TANK
MEDIUM TANK does 49 dmg to HEAVY TANK

which they can move around there screen at liesure... but I am pretty sure I will incorporate it now, instead of using seperate screen, it just makes it a lot easier.
Krabjuice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I wonder, how are you going up pull off the click and drag aspects that make RTS games playable?
BioHazardousWaste

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

good old shift key Wink...
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Krabjuice wrote:
I wonder, how are you going up pull off the click and drag aspects that make RTS games playable?

If you mean to click and drag to select units, that won't be so difficult. you get the mouse coords when you press the mouse button, then take the coords again when you let go. Compare the coordinates of your units to the coordinates of the box, and if they're inside they become selected.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 37 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: