Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University Computer
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
.hack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ah, I wasn't thinkin laptop. Yea I would build or mod a laptop myself,, mainly becasue everything is integrated and thats a pretty small board to have to do alot of work so I wouldn't touch it, because once its broken Its broken.

Yea above I was thinkin PCs.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

modding laptops is not advised
recneps

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For a good, cheap computer you didnt make yourself (with warranty, etc) is MDG (www.mdg.ca) i know you've heard of em if you live in Canada. Razz
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mdg doesnt have best deals, tigerdirect does
naoki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tigerdirect is pretty good, though you have to read carefully since some of the products are re-furbished.

vibecomputers.com, canadacomputers.com and NCIX.com also have some pretty good deals. If you know how to build a computer (or know a friend who does), it's much cheaper to buy the parts yourself.

I mean, you know all those modding devices that they advertise in flyers? they're only like $6 - $25, depending on what you're cooling. and the alienware case is pretty nice, but unless you're trying to bed a hottie with a cool case i don't think a massive alien head on the front will really matter much in the long run

also, don't emachine computers use Celeron and underclocked AMD chips?

sadly, i only know all this because computer engineering forced me to
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's true. Well, not underclocked, but OEM parts...bleh.

www.hltechnology.com is another nice site
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There's no way that'll cost over a thousand

Ram'll cost about 200, processor another 200, video card 150, hard drive 100, motherboard 150. Case & monitor and stuff'll add a few more hundred, haven't looked into it yet. Plus these prices are going to fall for the most part by the summer.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rite now u can get a 200 gig hdd for 159.99 at tigerdirect.ca o and martin, ur forgetting about cooling and power supply
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jonos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

and they also have the best looking case around Very Happy . very powerful though, but the desktops are really expensive. i priced the one i built that i got parts from abacus computers (in guelph) at alienware, and it was about 1/3 more expensive, but who cares, they have cool cases.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

most cases have PSU and cooling, plus another fan's like 10 bucks.
naoki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

darkness is right most of the cases (usually the low end ones don't have one) have a power supply between 350W - 500W depending on the type of tower

i dunno if you mentioned it, but what kind of printer are you going to buy? some cheapo "essays only" one or something that can print out photos? because that can run you between $60 - $400
recneps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you should get a colour laser printer. They're ONLY 1k -20k+ Smile
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if you want a mans printer you need to get a 3d printer , thatwill cut and print on any material ( i think ) it makes 3d carvings aswell , there actually pretty cheap for what htey do there 9,800 $ ( USD ) a guy won one fro mtech tv , there s ocool , there called versa printers i think
Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ya thats way to cheap. I culd probly makre that in like 3 summers Smile
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah. I actually didn't think about printers...I should look into that.
Now the new debate: laser printer, or a car...
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: