Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ontario Canipre to get peoples' personal information
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

randint @ Wed May 15, 2013 10:44 pm wrote:
Yeah, it takes so much time just to pirate a piece of software, I might as well download free legit open source stuff.

I pirate stuff all the time, but open source is great, wonderful. There are open source alternatives for practically everything.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
randint

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Good point, 2goto1
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Libraries get special licenses from the government in order to distribute and show content. Schools, camps, churches and other groups also get similar licenses to show movies. You actually can't show movies or play music in any place that the general public could have access to (if you have a party and allow anyone in, then you're not allowed to play a movie or music technically. But then again so is having a gathering of more than 20 people in the park without a permit)
Panphobia

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

That is crazy lol, can't show at a party. Also if a teacher were to show a movie to the class, that they brought in, would that be illegal?
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

No because as mentioned, schools get licenses to show movies to classes. If they didn't have a license, then yes it'd be copyright infringement
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

My teachers bring in personal burned dvd's to show the classes... The license wouldn't happen to cover that, would it?
Panphobia

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Same thats why I said it lol...
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Oh, I thought you meant purchased DVDs.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Yeah the license is for showing ANY dvd, no matter who purchased it I believe, having to force the teachers to go through a supplier would mean older or obscure movies can't be shown, which is probably 99% of the movies they actually show.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Some of these laws are kind of ridiculous. Media creators should just accept the fact that people are going to play music in public and loan movies/books to friends. You can create as many laws as you want, if they aren't enforced, they mean nothing.
randint

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Nathan4102: +1 to post. Some laws here are just too stupid. you know.

Canipre cannot get very far due to a very simple technical reason: an IP address is not a person, and therefore no one can prove that an IP belongs to a particular computer. Even if it does, one can argue that, since the plaintiff cannot prove that the computer was not hacked, therefore the defendant is not liable.

The other thing is virtual machines. Nowadays, anyone can buy a computer with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD, I can create VMs, so that even if the MAC address of a VM is known, it does not mean anything, as VMs can be changed/deleted.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 41 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: