Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ontario Canipre to get peoples' personal information
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Panphobia

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Isn't Piracy defined as Infringing Copyright for the intention of financial gain? So technically when you download a movie, it isn't piracy until you sell it...right?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
randint

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Some P2P downloaders have a "preview" function
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:21 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

"Unauthorized copying or sharing of computer software"

By downloading, you're copying the software to your computer, which is pretty much fits the definition.
randint

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Therefore, downloading a trial version of a software hosted by the creator's site is also illegal, as this can facilitate software cracking after installing.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Well you're fully authorized to download a free trial, but somewhere in the TOS, it says i's illegal to altar or crack the trial application.
randint

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Except that if it is legal to download these trials but not to crack them, there is no way to track these illegal downloads.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Trials are usually downloaded as .zip, .rar, .exe, or sometimes .bat's. Pirated content is almost always downloaded as a torrent on large torrenting sites. So I think they're separable, and I'm pretty sure these companies have ways of telling what torrents you're downloading. People in the US are being sued for piracy, so it can't be impossible!
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Panphobia @ Wed May 15, 2013 5:07 pm wrote:
Isn't Piracy defined as Infringing Copyright for the intention of financial gain? So technically when you download a movie, it isn't piracy until you sell it...right?

Piracy is not usually defined that way. Piracy is typically the act of copying something else without permission to do so, regardless if it's done for financial gain or not. In the case of a music CD say, piracy would be if you burned your friend's music CD. Piracy could even be if you copied your own music CD to your computer or iPhone. In both cases there is no financial gain for you, you're just committing piracy.

An example of piracy with financial gain can be found around nearly all universities. You'll find shady print shops who happily sell copied university textbooks to money conscious students. They literally create copies of the current university texts, and sell them to students at a deep discount compared to the legal printed copies. I've never seen any of these places shut down, but I have known one that was sued civilly, although I don't know what the outcome was. Despite the fact that these shady print shops are making money off unauthorized reproductions of books, they are not committing a legal crime. So copyright piracy with financial gain is not necessarily theft. In a similar legal case, in 2009 The Business Depot was sued for ten million dollars by Access Copyright, alleging that the chain allows people to copy books. I'm not sure what the result of the case was.

Contrast copyright with theft. If you copy your movie DVD and sell it, then you're committing piracy / copyright infringement. However, if you were to gain possession of the original master film that the movie was stored on, or if you shoplift the item, then you're committing theft.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
randint

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Except that if you legally own a hard copy and rip it to your own computer, it is completely legal unless you distribute it to someone else.
Panphobia

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

If it is not done for financial gain, then why doesn't the government go ahead and ban libraries? Basically the same thing, some guy buys a dvd puts it online and shares it with everyone. A library buys a dvd and rents it out to people for free also.
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

randint @ Wed May 15, 2013 4:34 pm wrote:
This is why I actually plan to move away from Microsoft products, for good.

This is the case with any commercial software that you have to pay for. Windows and Office are typically products that you have to pay for, so if you use a copy that you didn't pay for, and you didn't pay for the original, then you've likely committed piracy. Keep in mind that Microsoft does provide some products for free, but the core Windows operating system is usually not given away.

There really is no need to use Microsoft products. There are numerous open source alternatives such as all the various Linux distros. As a comp sci student you would benefit from going fully open source. The learning curve for Windows, if you wind up having to use various software on it, is pretty low.
randint

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Which some people like me would rip to my computer (but not distribute to anyone else) if I think it is good.
randint

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Yeah, it takes so much time just to pirate a piece of software, I might as well download free legit open source stuff.
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

randint @ Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 pm wrote:
Except that if you legally own a hard copy and rip it to your own computer, it is completely legal unless you distribute it to someone else.

Wrong. Remember that if you distribute it to someone else, it's still legal. It's just a copyright infringement. You're not committing a crime by infringing on a copyright. Well, it can be a crime, but it's not always. According to Wikipedia, "however, not all copyright infringement results in commercial loss, and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that infringement does not easily equate with theft." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement.

If your friend already had purchased the CD, but their CD was damaged by their CD player, and then you copied your CD and gave it to them so that they could enjoy it again, did the original producer experience a commercial loss? I imagine the difference to be extremely grey, with a general leaning towards copyright infringement not being illegal, more often than not.
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:55 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ontario Canipre to get peoples\' personal information

Panphobia @ Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 pm wrote:
If it is not done for financial gain, then why doesn't the government go ahead and ban libraries? Basically the same thing, some guy buys a dvd puts it online and shares it with everyone. A library buys a dvd and rents it out to people for free also.

I think a library would buy something under a different license agreement, as compared to you or I. A radio station can't pay $10 for a CD and expect to be able to play it over the air as much as they wish. They, like libraries, would have a different agreement, and a different price, for the same DVD.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 41 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: