Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Given the circumstances will Math kill me in Ryerson University?...
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Given the circumstances will Math kill me in Ryerson University?...

Okay... since Microsoft is so big and diverse, they can afford to use profits from one part of the business to support the losses of another business, as long as it's justifiable as a strategic investment.

E.g. Bing can afford to burn through money, as long as Office continues to be very very profitable.

You'd have to cut a lot of heads on this hydra for a specific product to get killed off.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
randint

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Given the circumstances will Math kill me in Ryerson University?...

Like Office...it appears that they have given up on chasing down pirates they used to go after in the 2007-2010 period. That appears to be due to the failure of the Office Genuine Advantage program.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:23 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Given the circumstances will Math kill me in Ryerson University?...

randint @ 29th May 2013, 4:05 pm wrote:
Still, you need to pay that back, Dan.

As far as loans go, OSAP is a great deal. 0% interest in till you graduate and there are repayment assistance options after that. The only catch is you have to be responsible with your money and know you have to pay back most of it eventually.

randint wrote:

OK, here is a thing: computer programming is slowly declining because we do not have too many breakthroughs in the last 10 years when compared to say the 1980s and 1990s.

How do you define a breakthrough? There is tones of innovative and novel research going on in computer science at both the academic and industry level. 10 years ago we did not even have Youtube, modern smart phones or cloud computing (at least not AWS).

randint wrote:

Like Office...it appears that they have given up on chasing down pirates they used to go after in the 2007-2010 period. That appears to be due to the failure of the Office Genuine Advantage program.

From what I have seen, Microsoft does not seem to be giving up on stopping piracy but focusing more on adapting their business model to make it unnecessary. A great example is when they had a limited program when windows 8 just came out to upgrade from Windows 7 (even a pirated copy) to Windows 8 Pro for only $15 with a simple online purchases. The solution to piracy is not to shove DRM down peoples throats or sue them, but to improve your service and keep prices reasonable so it is more work to pirate a copy.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: