Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K
Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:30 pm   Post subject: Re: The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

As a technical question: how do you go about upgrading firmware of things like refrigerators, laundry machines, televisions and other non-Internet compatible devices? Your idea is amazing, but how do people go about installing such software? Thanks.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:21 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

First of all, take televisions off the list of non-Internet compatible devices. My TV is connected to the internet.

I don't really know how fridges and laundry machines would connect to the internet. Perhaps a GUI of some sort where you can connect to your wifi? Or a small charge added to the price of a machine for a small cellular device inside the machine that checks for updates? Who knows!
randint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:35 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

OK, yeah, televisions can be WiFi compatible now. Anyhow, so I suppose it is pretty easy to add a 802.11g WiFi compatible device or whatever onto these things?

Hmm...my DVD player needs a firmware upgrade...
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:46 am   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Yep the company in question basically figured it'd add about $2 to the cost of the unit if they enabled it to be able to access cellular resources to check for updates. You could choose to connect to wifi instead, but that'd require configuring it for wifi.
   Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 4  [ 49 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: