Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K
Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
randint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:50 pm   Post subject: Re: The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Wait, are you saying that embedded chips are still using 32-bit epoch settings due to the high cost of using 64-bit? But, could any of you explain what type of embedded chips you are talking about? Because I suppose if too many devices (such as refrigerators, microwave ovens and regular ovens) will fail due to the epoch rollover, then these manufacturers need to think seriously about how they are going to make their next generation products 2038-compliant. Remember, no matter how high the cost is, if some fatal technological glitch prevents a device from running after a certain time, then it has to be fixed, or else the manufacturer goes out of business and no one on Earth will be able to use these devices after January 19, 2038.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:08 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

I don't think most refrigerator manufacturers expect their products to remain in use by 2038. By 2030, 64-bit chips will probably be pretty cheap. The company would probably love it if everyone had to replace their appliances within 8 years of purchase, even if it's a one-time deal.

Besides, what's the worst that will happen? Oh, boo hoo, your microwave can't tell time anymore. It still microwaves things though, right?

Important things like your car's computer will have to be replaced, and expensive things like that will probably have upgrade packages available.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:13 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

People already have learned about these things. In 2000 they had to deal with upgrading electronics, however they started years in advance to 2000. My electrical teacher from high school started replacing PLCs in the mines 4 years before 2000. People aren't stupid and they will start replacing things many years in advance to 2038. OR any Y2K threat crap.
randint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 pm   Post subject: Re: The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Hmm, yeah, a car purchased in 2013 is probably not going to be usable in 2038 (I project that they have a maximum lifespan of 15 years, not 25). So I hope by 2028, this problem gets fixed. But still, WHY ARE 64-BIT CHIPS EXPENSIVE ENOUGH FOR THEM TO NOT BE FEASIBLE TO BE USED IN EMBEDDED SYSTEMS?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:24 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

I don't think they're that expensive, however if your job is to cut costs, and the 32-bit chip costs $3 less, you're gonna take it.
randint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

But what if doing so will prevent a piece of hardware from operating properly (if at all) after 2038?
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

If they designed their products to survive beyond 2038, they would go out of business.
randint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:55 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Wait...ARE YOU SURE that 64 bit computers are in no way affected? Because there is this 25 year mortgage problem that involves dates post-2038!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:59 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

32-bit programs running on 64-bit computers will still show errors, however I imagine most important software will be updated to 64 bits by then.

Time is stored in a register (or a memory address, but that's not important). In a 32 bit computer, that register is 32 bits long, and that register will overflow to around negative 2 billion, which you can imagine will do some pretty weird things. In a 64 bit computer however, the register is (you guessed it!) 64 bits long, which can store about 9 quintillion, easily enough to store dates millions of years in the future, effectively ensuring the 2038 problem will never happen again.
randint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:05 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Or, by the time it happens (to 64 bit hardware), 128 bit will be outdated.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:48 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

By that time binary will be outdated.
randint

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

[I am a Java programmer]: so, tell me, is there any way to compile x64 code? I mean, I feel that I must write x64 code, and not go back to x86, ever.

I know that Java is 2038 compliant, as it sets up 64-bit integer time representations (where the number is the number of miliseconds since what looks like January 1, 1970 00:00:00 UTC).
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Java compiles to a bytecode that runs in a virtual machine, which allows it to be platform-independent. I'm not sure about the specifics, but 64-bit systems will run the 64-bit VM, and 32-bit systems will run the 32-bit VM. I don't know how or if this affects program execution, though.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:23 pm   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Largely, the JVM makes the execution environment the same between x86 and x64 systems (after all, that's the reason it exists--to make all platforms look the same).

There are some differences: 32-bit JVMs cannot address more than 4GB of RAM (even on a 64-bit OS), while 64-bit JVMs require more space for each pointer (8 bytes instead of 4 bytes) and will therefore consume more RAM, though there's a switch to tell the JVM to use 4-byte pointers in 64-bit mode, whenever possible.

There are no special switches to use a special version of Java that's 64-bit, and there's no need to recompile any programs. Install a 64-bit JVM and suddenly all your Java programs are 64-bit programs.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 am   Post subject: RE:The 2038 Syndrome: Second Coming of Y2K

Strange, my compiler allows me to go beyond 2038 and im using 32 bit.
EDIT: Maybe mine is type-zero ... lol
   Index -> Programming, C -> C Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 49 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: