Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

If a MC server was made, would you play it?
(No ending time set)
Yes! Im a MC legend!
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Naw, I've got better things to do(LIES)
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Nathan4102

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:50 pm   Post subject: Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

Just answer the poll, this is for seeing how many people are interested in playing!

Nathan
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

I would, if I had internet on my computer (I bought it secretly).
I always use my parents' computers for wifi.
Sly14Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:55 am   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

I guess I'd play it considering I'd be the OP. I'm going to invite a ton of people. I am going to run it on our 15 year old computer which now runs Ubuntu. Meaning that I don't know how many people it can take. I've had it run with 5 people quite stable. I'll make it a survival world with the option to play Skywars 2.0, which I plan on making automatic, but I haven't played minecraft in a while.
jr5000pwp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 am   Post subject: Re: Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

I would point to http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=28495 but I'm not sure whats going on with that.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:41 am   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

^ That threads been inactive for months

@SlyCat sounds good, let me know when its up. Would this be an online or offline server?
Sly14Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

Probably offline. I know how annoying it can be to have to buy minecraft just to play with friends.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

Thank you, I cba to pay for minecraft just to play casually.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

Nathan4102 @ Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:04 pm wrote:
Thank you, I cba to pay for minecraft just to play casually.

Why not? It's only like, $14 or so unless they jacked up the price. Even if you play casually over a long time you'll be getting your money's worth.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

27$ :p
jr5000pwp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

Holy cow, I bought it when it was like $8 or something in Alpha. It's just a moral issue. I understand pirating a game to try it, hell, don't we all do that sometimes when we're sceptical? But if you have no intentions on purchasing it yet you plan to continue playing? That's when you should really consider buying it. Unless of course you want them to stop developing the game because people are no longer purchasing it?
As for the server, I'm afraid vanilla lost it's touch for me a long long time ago. However, I still enjoy Complete The Monument (CTM) style maps (Vechs are the most balanced) and Ultra-Hardcore (UHC). Both add extra difficulty, strategy and unpredictability. I mean, if you're running through a cave what won't you expect after a while. Ooh, maybe there will be a 1 thick layer of stone above lava you might accidentally break or a hole you could walk into, but there's nothing unpredictable there because everything is done by the computer (Terrain-gen and AI) As with CTM maps the whole map is generally made by a person who can make traps and various different forms of surprises as well as terrain generally not possible by a generator. And with UHC you still have normal minecraft, just no auto-regen (Only regen from Golden Apples and Potions, which are harder to make) and you have the addition of other players who are also plotting against you.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

I support UHC, I think that would be fun. CTM might also be fun, never tried it though.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

If the server is going to be something that enables pirated players, it probably isn't something that can/should be discussed on compsci. Besides with offline you have absolutely no reliability that the person who logs in is the person they say they are. What's to stop to me from logging as Sly14Cat and becoming an admin? (unless you go through all the trouble of setting up your own account system, which would alleviate some of the problems)
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

With essentials installed, we can all be assigned nicknames by the admin. Only the user himself and the admin would know our actual username. Sounds to me like that would fix the problem, let me know if I missed something.
Sly14Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

What's to stop you from logging in as me, I can just install a mod that makes you need a password to get in. That's what. As for pirated clients, I played minecraft for many months legally by just downloading the .jar, dropping it into the bin folder and playing offline. Legal and easier than getting a pirated client. Then I decided that I wanted to buy it.

I won't be adding a donation system because I don't think it's right for me to charge people for a server for fancy usernames is right. I will be the only admin and moderator and I will not tolerate inappropriate conduct.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Poll: Who is interested in playing a CompSci MC Server?

Sounds good to me. Have we decided between survival/UHC/CTM?
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: