Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Difference between Visual C++ and C++?
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Panphobia @ 3/11/2013, 8:17 pm wrote:
Runescape is run through 'command prompt' check out the game, I don't think it looks weird o:

Wow... it's written as a console program?
Sorry about calling it command prompt though, I thought a console application was command prompt, but from what I at least think now, command prompt is a program made as a console application.
I'll just continue learning c++ though Razz I have a pretty good e-book I'm following
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Cancer Sol @ Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 am wrote:
Runescape is run through 'command prompt' check out the game, I don't think it looks weird o:

Sorry about calling it command prompt though, I thought a console application was command prompt, but from what I at least think now, command prompt is a program made as a console application.
I'll just continue learning c++ though Razz I have a pretty good e-book I'm following

No, he's wrong. Runescape is written in Java. The server is probably a console interface but the client itself is a Java applet which can is designed to run in a browser.

Here's the thing about the console. It exists only for text input and output (it can do graphics, but that's really hard and looks really bad). You type something in, and it spits something out. If you aren't typing something in or spitting something out, you don't need it. Heck, even if you are typing something in and spitting something out, you don't need it since you could just use your own textboxes. It's just the easiest way to do text I/O.

A lot of computers don't even have a desktop. The console window is all they have. Most *nix servers are like this. That doesn't mean the computer is old or weak though. They just exist for a different purpose.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Insectoid @ 3/16/2013, 1:20 pm wrote:
Cancer Sol @ Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 am wrote:

No, he's wrong. Runescape is written in Java. The server is probably a console interface but the client itself is a Java applet which can is designed to run in a browser.

Here's the thing about the console. It exists only for text input and output (it can do graphics, but that's really hard and looks really bad). You type something in, and it spits something out. If you aren't typing something in or spitting something out, you don't need it. Heck, even if you are typing something in and spitting something out, you don't need it since you could just use your own textboxes. It's just the easiest way to do text I/O.

A lot of computers don't even have a desktop. The console window is all they have. Most *nix servers are like this. That doesn't mean the computer is old or weak though. They just exist for a different purpose.

How does it look like when someone uses their own textboxes? I thought all computers had a desktop, but I guess I'm just really inexperienced :/
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:01 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Cancer Sol @ Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 pm wrote:
I thought all computers had a desktop

I think you misunderstand what a computer is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer
Quote:

the embedded computers found in many devices from MP3 players to fighter aircraft and from toys to industrial robots are the most numerous.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Tony @ 3/16/2013, 3:01 pm wrote:
Cancer Sol @ Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 pm wrote:
I thought all computers had a desktop

I think you misunderstand what a computer is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer
Quote:

the embedded computers found in many devices from MP3 players to fighter aircraft and from toys to industrial robots are the most numerous.

I keep forgetting that, I always thought of a desktop computer as a computer, since everybody I know just calls desktop computers a computer lol Razz
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:19 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Cancer Sol @ Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm wrote:
since everybody I know just calls desktop computers a computer lol Razz

A desktop computer is also an example of a computer Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

A textbox is just any box you can put text in. Turing's run window is a textbox (well, in text mode it is). The address bar in your browser is a textbox. Just about anywhere that you type things is a textbox.

Just about any program that run on your computer can be run from the terminal. You don't have to click on the icon. You can launch Chrome, Firefox, Word, Battlefront, whatever from the terminal the same way you launch your homemade c++ programs. The computer doesn't really care.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Insectoid @ 3/16/2013, 3:41 pm wrote:
A textbox is just any box you can put text in. Turing's run window is a textbox (well, in text mode it is). The address bar in your browser is a textbox. Just about anywhere that you type things is a textbox.

Just about any program that run on your computer can be run from the terminal. You don't have to click on the icon. You can launch Chrome, Firefox, Word, Battlefront, whatever from the terminal the same way you launch your homemade c++ programs. The computer doesn't really care.

So about textboxes though... how is it supposed to look better though? Is the user allowed to just type random stuff in the whole "textbox" program?
I knew what a textbox was, but I thought it was also some kind of program type Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

well, look at your address bar and tell me that doesn't look better than typing into a console. Again, it's a complicated subject involving libraries and stuff that you're just not ready for yet. Don't worry about it. Doing anything with graphics is probably at least a year away.
Cancer Sol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:42 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Difference between Visual C++ and C++?

Insectoid @ 3/16/2013, 3:48 pm wrote:
well, look at your address bar and tell me that doesn't look better than typing into a console. Again, it's a complicated subject involving libraries and stuff that you're just not ready for yet. Don't worry about it. Doing anything with graphics is probably at least a year away.

Haha, alright then Razz
Thanks for helping, everyone!
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: