Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:02 pm   Post subject: Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

If so how.

And if you were to make a YouTube channel to be associated with the website would you recommend using an email that is @domain name or using a GMail email?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

Most domain providers will provide you with mail hosting for free.

1and1.com is what I use, they give you a bunch of free email accounts to use.
BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

I don't see free email accounts on their website
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

You buy a domain from Domain Registrar. The registrar's website will allow you to edit your specific parts of your whois info (specifically the nameservers). Eg: http://whois.cira.ca/public?domain=xshade.ca Registrars usually will also offer a DNS as well. I didn't because I'm weird (and probably couldn't find it in their menus at the time). https://freedns.afraid.org/ offers free DNS hosting by the way.

The nameserver records interpret the subdomains, and points to your web hosting server.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

MX records are your MailServer hosting. The configuration above is setup for Google Apps emails, which used to allow free gmail accounts using your domain name. Google closed registrations for the free version a month back or so.

A Domain Registrar (+DNS) and Web Hosting are separate, but you will often find them bundled together. I once read about separating the two just in case you dislike your web hosting (it tends to cost to transfer domains). I've never done it, but migrating files over FTP and SQL databases is annoying enough.

If you manage to get a decent gmail nick, then there shouldn't be a problem. It will also most likely be around longer than your __ year plan.
BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

Currently I own a domain name.

If the Gmail service was availible I would be able to have a CUSTOM_NAME@MY_DOMAIN for free?

The site I bought the domain through sells 25 emails accounts for $2 / month paid yearly.

or I get unlimited when I get hosting.

To be honest I didn't really understand your post Zren but do you have any suggestions as to what I should do to get an email with an @MY_DOMAIN
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:36 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

I'm confusing because I don't have enough experience with it. That and I'm confusing in general.

You only need 1 email. Are you going to use you web hosting? If not then just do the 2$ thing IF you will use the email. By Email addresses, what does that mean? Do they mean POP accounts that you use a mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird with? Or do they also offer a web interface?

What do you currently use for email and are familiar with?
BigBear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

I use Gmail.

I bought the domain from Domain.com

I am not sure what they offer but if there email interface sucks then I will just forward it to a Gmail
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

who is your web hosting with? You could set up a mail server with them.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

Even better ? Google Apps. Although they've stopped doing new free accounts. http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:33 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

Zren @ Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 pm wrote:
The configuration above is setup for Google Apps emails, which used to allow free gmail accounts using your domain name. Google closed registrations for the free version a month back or so.

Sorry Tony, Zren beat you too it.

The fact that you can't sign up is kind of a dealbreaker though lol
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 am   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

My bad, but no one said that you can't sing up Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

well yeah you could pay for it, but I think $50 a year is a bit too expensive for just a single mail account.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

you get gmail interface at a custom domain. It might not matter if all you do is forward the mail to another account, but if this an account you actually use, then no other UI you can setup for free will come close.

You also get 2.5x the current inbox space of free gmail.

So yeah, it's $50. The question is ? can you get $50 worth of value of having an email account?
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

It is a shame Google Apps no longer has a free option. I have been using it for some time and it relay does seem to be the best option (other then the potential eavesdropping by the US government).

I can't recommended trying to run your own e-mail server. It is possible and not that hard to setup but controlling spam and ensuring you have 100% uptime (and no messages are lost) can be a massive pain in the ass.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
md

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Once you own a domain can you also have an email @ that domain or do you need website hosting?

Nah, hosting your own email isn't too hard if you've got a VPS (or two, for failover). Problem is that you can't find anything even close to as good as the gmail interface.

It'd be great if Google made gmail boxes like their search appliances. Buy one, plug it into your network and *bam* instant gmail/calendar/google drive/whatever. That and allowing you to change the email associated with a google account (and merge them) would be spectacular.

[edit] And if you want to use your own email server you'll need to add some MX records to your DNS records. Nothing to do with whois data at all. 'Tis important to get details like that right Razz
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: