Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Gravity
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i lerned all that from grade 11 physics , ( rockin course by the way ) , you learn all that and more
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sweet, I can't wait to take that course. Hope I get it first semester along with compsci next year. Very Happy
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

This reminds me of a black hole, except its not black, you know with the event horizon and stuff. A great extension to this program would be to have random rays of light passing, and those that come to the event horizon, would get sucked in. (I of course have no idea how to do it)
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

basic formulas of light , justneed to know that light always travels in straight lines , we know light travels at , 3.0 x 10 to the 8 m/s , so just give me a dirrection ditsance and a time , and its there right in fromnt of you , also you can use light ray diagrams to find the position of the light
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

black holes aren't black necessarily black paulbian Razz there is no light to reflect off the black hole to show us what colour the black hole is.

a black hole could be pink Razz

shorthair, "light always travels in straight lines" you said. except when near a black hole right? or am I hugely mistaken Confused
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ah, but if you do a simulation of a black hole, the center should be black, maybe the surroundings should have colors, cause there's light and other cosmic rays thats pulled in a crazy swirl but not inside the event horizon.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if its not pulled inside the event horizon then how would it be reflected off the black hole to show us the black hole's colour?
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nothing reflects off a black hole , it apparently sucks up all light , so we could never actually see one , because there would e no light that reflects off it , we cant recodt it becuase the lense relys on light coming back into it , also why is there a need for a black hole , i can make an event horizon , and a darn good reflecton engine based on a rotating side view of hte planets
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

some radiation comes out of a black hole
its called hawking radiation
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Never Heard about that , care to explain , before i go deep into a google search
Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its a bit complicated
but in a nutshell

according to quantum theory there are pairs of virtual particles (one normal one antimatter) randomly appearing and disappering in "empty space" all the time
stephen hawking proved that if this happens near the event horizon of a black hole, one of the particles may fall in and the
other would would escape the black hole via energy from the mass of the black hole itself
this is the "hawking radiation"
(it solved the confilict of black holes with the second law of thermodynamics)
this radiation implies that black holes will eventually evaporate away

(there is a lot of math and such behind this as well, and it seems very complicated)
shorthair

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i remember that now , i have his book , the universe in a nutshell , i have never read it yet , but i looked over it and found some awsome stuff
Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

his books are good Very Happy
if u havent already be sure to read a brief history of time
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think I heard of that hawking radiation bit before, at least some of it.
that seems so wierd though, that matter and antimatter particles could just pop in and out of 'empty space'. and if they pop in and out of 'empty space', why can't they do it in 'not empty space' like a meter to my left Thinking
Catalyst

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i beleive it happens everywhere , but its only noticable when the space is "empty". There was an experiment that proved these pairs. Two metal plates were put really close together in a vacuum. This space was too small for the pairs to form, so the pressure from the pairs was less between the plates then around them. So the pressure difference pushed the plates together. (known as the casimir effect)
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 40 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: