Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Trash Turing!
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Which programming language/program is the best?
(No ending time set)
Visual Basic
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Turing
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
C++
37%
 37%  [ 6 ]
Java
31%
 31%  [ 5 ]
HTML
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
PHP
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

But still even if you forget it does it for you. How is this bad in any way?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

VB is sad and a BS language..i tried it for a week i think Very Happy
Maverick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I like it cause you can integrate software and hardware in in i.e LED's and stuff. It also makes sense unlike damn turing.
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Maverick...(sorry to flame) but your an absolu te fool. I have wanted to be a programmer ever since I started looking beyond programs. (which was 3 years ago). I started out by learning HTML....very easy. I moved on to VB, it sucked and was to cheap so I went on to Java. I understood absolutely nothing, then moved to Cpp...which also tau ght me nothing. I then learned C...but could only grasp enough concept of it to create a calculator. Learning good programming languages (cpp, java) at th e start will not help you on your way to becoming a programmer. You MUST learn the basics of programming, which is why Turing is introdu ced in your first year of Compu ter Science. In my school, CompSci starts in grade 11...my teacher taught Turing, and then tried to transfer to Java....but nobody understood any thing...I barely understood it. So he kept with Turing. Turing is a language similar to pascal, and english...which makes it very easy to code because its like english.
code:

put "Hello World"

After 1 semester of Turing...I mastered all that had been taught, plus much more. Next year, we are being taught Java, becau se that is wh at th e teacher decided to learn last summer. (lol) A better idea is instead of java, teach Cpp. Lets take a look at the difference:
Turing:
code:

put "Hello World"

Cpp:
code:

cout << "Hello World" <<endl;

Java:
code:

System.out.printIn("Hello World");

Now do you understand? If you go straight to cpp or java....new programmers wont understand a thing. With no experience in programming, what the heck does "cout" mean??? What does "system.out.printIn" mean??? Its far too confusing...thats why a begginers (kind of) program is used...Turing "put". Then after teaching that for a semester, the n ew programmer gets a good grasp of the structure of programming, and can move on to a bigger step into something like Cpp or Java.
I hope you understand e veryone, that Turing CANNOT be Trashed! If th is happens, it could very well mean the end of computer programmers, or at least a large decline. So for the benefit of computer science, Turing must live on, and get better. This way, more stupid people can be infused with programming knowledge...but not before using something to grasp the aspects of programming. (ie. Turing)
Now NO more trashing Turing!!!
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

very well said , i said that the first time i responded to this thread ,
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ok....obviously somebody felt necessary to unlock this forum....(probably dodge) I locked it for a reason....its not a good idea to have people talking about trashing turing for the reasons stated above...an d for the good all newbie pro grammers....thistopic shouldnt be ab out trashing turing
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Turing is good for learning programming, it's pretty easy to pick up by yourself. But no one uses Turing to program anything that is market worthy. It's good for teaching, like in some University's programming course, they don't start with C++ or Java, they start with some language no one has ever heard of (kinda like Turing).

So Turing has it's ups and it's downs, no need to trash it, cuz I mean Tom obviously spend sometime updating the stuff for us and everything.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

it wasnt me
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I got bets that asian unlocked iit , but anyway , turing has come along way , tom has tried to give the ambitios kids somthing to reach for ,by amaking turing more game compatible ( BAsics ) , i mean look at hte joystic ksupport and the view.update / Area aswell , And turing is awsome for DWITE , if everyone used vb or C++ for that contest , i garunteee mabye 5 of the teams would place,
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:13 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hmm...supposedly not I, dodge, or azn unlocked it....and no other mods were online.... im reporting this to Dan....this could be serious. (Possible hacker in the database or someting...)
McKenzie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Asking "What is the best programming language?" is kinda like asking "what is the best kind of saw? Hacksaw, Jigsaw, bandsaw...." It is an incomplete question. More usefull questions are:
What is the best programming language to learn first?
What is the best programming language to have fun with?
What is the best programming language to get a job?
What is the best programming language to make a program for my dad's shipping company?
What is the best programming language to make a proffesional game?
What is the best programming language to ...?

Each language has pros and cons. The agument of "I tried language X for one week, it SUX" is absurd. If you don't understand why a language is popular say "What is language X good for? I tried it and just don't see the point."
DanShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well said.
Pros
Turing:
- easier graphical capabilities
Cpp:
- easier, more, and better net commands
Java:
- you learn more computer language, like system.out.printin is more to the point of what the ocmputer is doing, opposed to put and cout
Cons
Turing:
- weak net capabilities
Cpp:
- harder to include graphics
Java:
- harder to learn
Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You obviously sucked at VB which is why you think Turing is better then it. Turing is really easy to learn but after about a year of using it becomes kind of pointless to use. Only people who are extremely good at Turing can make an extremely good game i.e. Mazer.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

look at 3d engines made in turing.. look at the potential that Homer's projectile movement tutorial has, look at the particle blood program....

Turing is a language that is easy to learn but doesn't stop its potential after a year of learning... there is a lot to Turing...

oh yeah and look at the games in the examples\games section of the Turing folder
Maverick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Im aware.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 44 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: