Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Pygame Graphics
Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aange10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

Haha I honestly don't have a desire to make games. Right now I'm just exploring a lot of concepts. Mainly the things I'm discovering in Udacity, problems on Project Euler, etc.

A game is much too involved. I've written enough of an rpg to know that I don't want to make a game. Maybe later, with a team of friends and with me having more knowledge on what is actually happening, and hopefully some grasp of 3d engines.

I really have a lot of concepts I want to learn. Games seem like something I'd do with a group of people later on in my life.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 am   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

Games provide an interesting way to show off some cool algorithms, and I've learned that you can design a game such that no artwork or time consuming data entry is needed, you can design it to all be algorithmic based, which is pretty cool. (for instance throw in some types of weapons, and adjectives and have the computer through those together to create weapons, with the power being equal to points on a function).

But yeah I'm kinda getting in the same spot, there are a lot of concepts I want to learn, and that's why I'm working on a kind of game engine that provides things like scripting, artificial intelligence, parallel programming, and all those goodies that are fun to write.

I'd suggest looking into some of the things C# has to offer (lambdas, LINQ, cryptography, reflection etc)
Aange10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 am   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

I have been thinking about picking up on C# (btw, Python has lambdas!). And that actually sounds rather interesting, the algorithm games.
Amarylis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 am   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

I'm very happy that Udacity has a class on algorithms- that's one thing among many that my school is seriously lacking in, and I find that it's something quite crucial...
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:36 am   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

Actually algorithms are not as useful as you'd think. The majority of programming jobs are creating applications or maintaining software, both of which you use built in tools (you should never be implementing your not sorting, cryptography or pretty much any other algorithm on your own in a production setting, too much risk). It is a really fun thing to learn though, and really sets you apart from people who merely know how to write code.

@Aagne10 if you wanted you could actually join the project and add whatever algorithms you think would be useful in a video game library. The general idea of it for me was to have fun implementing algorithms, but also create a game library that can be used alongside another engine (or an in-house one) that implements all the tools and concepts that aren't normally in games, but would be awesome to have (scripting, modding, good artificial intelligence, I even want to experiment with creating people from values, like in skyrim, or the sims)

clarification: I'm not saying learning algorithms isn't useful, just saying they are less used that one would think, since most of programming is maintaining rather than creating new products from scratch. The good jobs are creating though, so definitely learn it
Amarylis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:50 am   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

I'd love to learn a thing or two from you about the process of algorithm development, if you'd be willing to teach
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:13 am   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

I'd be willing to teach, but I'm by no means an expert. If you want to learn something I can probably put together a tutorial or something and post it here. What would you like to learn?
Amarylis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

Everything you're willing to teach. Literally.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Aange10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

Haha I too will read and provide feed back Wink
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:58 pm   Post subject: RE:Pygame Graphics

Alright I'm currently working on a project that both of you guys will probably like.Once I go public with it I will write a tutorial explaining how it all works.
   Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: