Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I hate Rasberry Pi
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 am   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Pretty much any micro USB phone charger will provide enough power, especially if you've using a powered USB hub instead of connecting USB devices directly to the pi.

The biggest issues I've found with the board (I admittedly haven't used it very much yet) is that with ports on all sides it's a nightmare for cord management. The lack of a dedicated power switch is also annoying as it means having to pull the power cord every time you need to reboot (no support for rebooting) or power off.

I think hacking together a power control that works off of one of the IO pins is probably going to be one of the more useful add ons.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:53 am   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Hey MD I've been trying to figure out information on the GPIO pins, how are they accessed by the PI? Are they used as if it was a parrallel port? I'm wondering because I'd like to see if I could set up a framework for PI's to communicate through them, so I'd like to know if I need to learn a new language and/or framework for that to happen.
md

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:14 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

I haven't looked into it at all, I'm more interested in using the PIs I bought for their (limited) computing power.

I have a feeling that the GPIO drivers are well documented somewhere though. Either on the forums or wiki.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:53 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

wait, you got plural?
md

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:16 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

mirhagk @ 2012-05-19, 10:53 pm wrote:
wait, you got plural?

Of course! 3 to be exact. Only one has actually arrived, but the other two are supposed to be here by the end of June.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 am   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Oh okay, when did you order them? I got it like 3 days after it was announced, and I got on the waiting list and pre-ordered one like a couple weeks later. Still have to wait until June they say.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:26 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Heh, I ordered it last week when element14 accidentally opened preorders...guess I'm getting it next year then.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:27 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Probably lol
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:11 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

mirhagk @ 2012-05-21, 11:58 am wrote:
Oh okay, when did you order them? I got it like 3 days after it was announced, and I got on the waiting list and pre-ordered one like a couple weeks later. Still have to wait until June they say.

From RS about 10 minutes after their site went live, from Element 14 about 12 hours later when it would actually load.
apomb

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:40 am   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

A challenger has appeared! Link

This one seems a bit easier to manage the cables to since it is ATX compliant.
Maximum PC wrote:
The Via APC fits into any mini-ATX or micro-ATX

pretty neat stuff.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:29 am   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Also it uses a VIA chip that (correct me if I'm wrong) can run windows, ie silverlight, ie netflix on it. That may be a selling point to me over the pi. It also has more ram and built in flash memory (which hopefully makes it possible to store the OS on either the SD card or the built in memory). However the lack of a graphics card kinda puts in behind the pi.

The pi has graphics capable of what the original Xbox had with 1080, the APC only supports 720 and with integrated graphics won't be able to do anything special.

The PI is still better for people who want to experiment with hardware, and for a low cost machine that has quite a bit of computing power. (24 GigaFLOPS for the graphics card, so with a suitable multi-threaded application it could actually be faster than a lot of modern PCs). The APC seems like it's targeting the low cost computer market more, so that consumers can get a half decent machine for a very low cost. I'll probably end up getting one of each.

EDIT: Regardless of whether it can run windows, if it can run android apps netflix has an android app I'm pretty sure.
md

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:34 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

apomb @ 2012-05-24, 9:40 am wrote:
A challenger has appeared! Link ...

A challenger that draws considerably more power. I do like the board layout a lot more then the PI's rather hap-hazzard port placement though. Anyone considering running windows on that had best kick themselves though. Unless you're running Windows 98/XP you won't have nearly enough power. VIA has a horrible reputation for drivers too, so that is most likely going to be the biggest issue.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:35 am   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Obviously it'd run terribly slow, but if you got a stripped down version of xp or even windows 7 (people have made versions removing features that are not needed, or you could even run a normal version killing nearly every process and turning off all the windows features and uninstalling programs. All you need is silverlight and netflix.

Anyways if this is android, and supports their apps, you can just use the netflix android app (I'm assuming, although I'm not sure if they'd have some sort of restriction that'd prevent you from doing it). The programming on this won't be quite as fun as the pi though, so I'll get a VIA for my netflix box, and the pi for programming and all around fun-ness
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:46 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Engadget's impressions weren't very good for it as an HTPC so can anyone please confirm this?
Thanks a lot.

Quote:

Debian "squeeze" distro suggested for use with the board and opening a couple of tabs is enough to bring the entire system to a standstill. In fact, simply launching Engadget was enough to pin the CPU and bring the OS to a standstill for at least a few minutes. And don't even think about watching streaming videos -- there is no support for Flash or HTML 5 at the moment. And, in case there was any doubt in your mind about how painful just web browsing could be on this thing, we ran SunSpider (which also pinned the CPU) and got a score of 44,230. By comparison, our OG Droid (which is clocked at just 550MHz, but has the advantage of being a Cortex A8 chip) pulled a 11,188.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:13 pm   Post subject: RE:I hate Rasberry Pi

Yeah the PI isn't really meant to actually be used lol, it's just a toy to play around with. The part I'm interested in is those GPIO pins and the graphics card (which is quite decent for it's price)
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 51 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: