Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Turing 4.0.5 Update
Index -> Network News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I personally see no reason why people shouldn't be taught on C++. Java makes OOP too sloppy, and turing...well...ahh... Let's face it: if someone can't keep up with a C++ class in highschool, chances are they aren't cut out for programming. Turing leaves too many people with the 'Okay, I beat the game...what's next' feeling after learning it. Or after coding with it for a week.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The problem with C++ is that the syntax is so incredibly overloaded. Even bad code sometimes compiles.

And Java OO is cleaner than C++ OO, though both leave a lot to be desired.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Even bad code sometimes compiles.

indeed... for one of the assignments, I assidently wrote outside of array's range and spend a good hour together with a TA, trying to figure out what was going on Confused I though I was going crazy when comments seemed to have started affecting the execution... funny story
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hah, TA's are funny. In a lab today, freaking GNOME crashed (why can't we use Enlightenment?) in such a way that I could do just about anything except log out. I was just about to yank the power cord when I decided to ask the guy for some advice.
He literally spent 5 minutes trying to change my background to fix the problem.
The solution? Pulling the power cord.

Well, enough topic killing, for now.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea i noticed GNOME 2 is soo damn buggy. pfft. but KDE3 seems pretty stable.. i rather prefer WindowMaker.. so stable.. and the feel is just prefect.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really? I've found GNOME 2.6 to be incredibly stable, and I expect 2.8 to only be better.
shorthair

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

KDe 3.2 , SuSE 9.1 , recompiled 3d driver Enabled Kernal , Slick as cream Pie
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I wanna get linux, but I dont now what distro to get, I've used only live cd's to date (Kanotix, DSL[Damn Small Linux], and Morphix). What are some other linux distro's are good and can run on older (alot older) processor (166mhz)?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

*Looks at topic title (Turing 4.0.5 Update)...*

Anyways. I think pretty much any distribution of Linux will run fine on older computers. I've heard you can have a fully functional setup of Linux with just 25mb. What can kill you is the Desktop Environment (or Window Manager if you (like I) prefer).
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ok, I tried to use a live linux version of dsl, and morphix i didnt like them, I tried to get Kanotix to boot but wouldnt, dont no way. My computer should be able to handle some version of linux, after all it can handle winxp home sp2 with 166mhz 80mb, 1mb video system specs.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ouch guy...maybe it's time for a new computer? You can get a nice one (especially compared to that) for under $200. Check out www.tigerdirect.ca
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

timmytheturtle wrote:
after all it can handle winxp home sp2 with 166mhz 80mb, 1mb video system specs.

Weibo? Is that you?
Just kidding. I have a friend with specs like yours who runs winxp for some reason.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That, or get a real OS. Like linux!
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Ouch guy...maybe it's time for a new computer? You can get a nice one (especially compared to that) for under $200. Check out www.tigerdirect.ca

I would probley get on from a local store, I found a good computer for under $400 http://www.kingstoncomputerplanet.com/products/?cid=24&scid=01&pid=240100001,
or I would build it myself and just buy parts for cheap. Once I do buy an new computer for my self, Im smashing my old one.

Coutsos wrote:
timmytheturtle wrote:
after all it can handle winxp home sp2 with 166mhz 80mb, 1mb video system specs.

Weibo? Is that you?
Just kidding. I have a friend with specs like yours who runs winxp for some reason.

I run it cause I need to do file sharing (just music) between my computer and the family computer. I was surprised that my computer could even run XP, but now I couldn't care, I just wanna get Linux on it.
lama_daboul

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:11 pm   Post subject: Turing Update

Would anyone please send me the Turing 4.0.5 Update since HoltSoft website link to the update doesnt work. I know it will only take a person 5 minutes if they have it, so please send it to lama_daboul@sympatico.ca as I need it immediatly for studying 4 programs i have a test on in a couple weeks.
Thanks in advance!
   Index -> Network News
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 8 of 11  [ 165 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: