Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Looking to partner with a website programmer
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
kisokumu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:22 pm   Post subject: Looking to partner with a website programmer

Hello am looking for a programmer who is in Toronto or GTA and can build a dating website and an app which goes with it. this will be a totally difference concept from the regular dating sites so Please email me at kisokumu@hotmail.com. I have no idea of how to build a website but i have the best catchy idea of a dating website that will get everyone in the dating scene and want to have fun going crazy for it. thank you [/b]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DanShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 am   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

Just thought i'd post a comment in reference to the ambiguity of your proposed partnership.

You say you are "Looking to partner with a website programmer" (not hire), and in your post you say you have a great idea, but have no idea how to build a web-site.
What kind of partnership are you looking for? It looks like you are seeking a programmer to make the web-site for you (without contributing anything beyond the initial idea).

If you are looking to hire a programmer, that is a different story.
If you are looking to collaborate with people who have multiple industry required skills (such as Web Design, Graphic Design, Web Programming, Database design/administration, SEO, social media marketting, etc), then that is also a different story.

A wise man once told me "The difference between having an idea, and producing a marketable project lies in design & implementation".
kisokumu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

Well I have the idea and Will work with the programmer as a guide on how the website work and we will partner 50/50. If he likes the idea well and good if not then that's ok too.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:37 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

kisokumu @ Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:16 pm wrote:
Well I have the idea and Will work with the programmer as a guide on how the website work and we will partner 50/50. If he likes the idea well and good if not then that's ok too.
Partnering wouldn't be a good idea if you expect that programmer to do all the work...
kisokumu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

Ok then can anyone give me a price to make a dating website then. If you do it as a private project for me. Thank you.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

It really depends on how complicated your dating website is, how many users you're expecting and so forth.

Let's assume it'll take a good web programmer about 4-6 months of full-time work to bang out the kind of website you're interested in (I wrote a web-based test application in about that length of time, and at a guess the level of complexity is similar). Now, consider that novice programmers start at $16/hr, and you can figure you're probably looking at $200/day, or about $4000/month, or around $20,000 to $24,000 to develop your site.

This does not include maintenance costs, setup costs, hosting costs, etc. This estimate is assuming that you have already developed detailed, accurate specifications for your website, and that you won't be dropping any changes on the programmer once he gets started programming -- if you do, the price starts to go up very fast. This estimate also doesn't include the cost of any graphics, design or art efforts -- those should be done by a graphic designer, and should probably be ready before the programmer gets too far into the project; you should have your layout, presentation, workflows and so forth sorted out by about a month into the project. Art can come later, as long as the programmer has some "dummy" art to work with.

Assuming the difference you're talking about is in the matchmaking algorithm, then you really need to consult with someone to determine whether it's even feasible, much less how much it will cost to develop.

This leaves you to consider how you're monetizing a matchmaking service in an environment that's saturated with very skilled opponents, how you're attracting users, how you're advertising, etc.

I don't want to discourage you from pursuing this idea. However, website development is not cheap or fast, and it usually requires a pretty significant investment of effort. You will go through a LOT of money before your site even hits the web.
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

$1,000,000, 50% retainer and I'll sign up for the job
2goto1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:38 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

DemonWasp @ Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:09 pm wrote:

Assuming the difference you're talking about is in the matchmaking algorithm, then you really need to consult with someone to determine whether it's even feasible, much less how much it will cost to develop.

Any reputable dating website will have good matchmaking algorithms. They can be very expensive to deploy. Psychometrics, Item Response Theory and Rasch Scaling are common approaches used on some of the more reputable websites. Some of the larger websites do this to limit their liability due to matching algorithms that are not mathematically proven. The intangibles such as this can prove very costly. For a new dating website the owners could probably get away with something much simpler and mathematically unproven.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
kisokumu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Looking to partner with a website programmer

Is anyone interested to just see what I have in mind my dating website will be in real time and the daters won't even pay a dime will show you how will generate income. if I can meet maybe couple of you guys or one and show you what i have on board if you like it well and good if not it will only take 30mins to pitch.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

Dating websites are distinguished not so much by technical features, but by their userbase -- size, demographic, their... "personality" of sorts. What's your user acquisition strategy?

Anything "real time" would probably not even make sense until you have millions of users (unless you restrict the userbase just to a city or two).

I hope your business model is better than "we'll run AdSense"
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
kisokumu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:16 am   Post subject: Re: Looking to partner with a website programmer

Hey Tony you live in Toronto just give me a chance to seat down with you over coffee and you are not obligated to join me as a partner and wont take any offence to that but would like to show you what I have and even if you are not interested I will highly really appreciate your time. Well the real time part of it will be more usable in an App and let me call it speed dating in a sense but there is more into it. Thank you in advance.
kisokumu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:04 am   Post subject: Re: Looking to partner with a website programmer

Kisokumu
Ok let me rephrase this though I don't have computer terms. It's a dating website and mostly the App will be in use more than the website itself. Not to give more info. I can say speed dating kinda. Will have real time update and location( the location is not pointed at the daters homes ) so it will be safe. The daters won't ever pay a dime. And it's not an Adsence income site.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:51 am   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

I'm currently in Waterloo. I visit Toronto occasionally, but don't currently have anything planned yet.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
kisokumu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:14 am   Post subject: Re: Looking to partner with a website programmer

Ok thanks for your respond well tell me if you will be visiting toronto this month if not i will drive down there on a weekend hope you don't mind . thank you
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Looking to partner with a website programmer

PMed.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: