Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca Minecraft Server
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Would you use a CompSci.ca Minecraft Server?
(No ending time set)
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
Have minecraft but would not use.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't have minecraft but would use if i did.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Don't have minecraft and will never get it/would never use server.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Don't Know
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:50 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

Emergency on the Server:

Hacked and being spammed/griefed

Log:

At 1:45 PM EST, the Creative World was TNT bombed by someone. No one was in Creative except me and I'm pretty sure it must have been a hack. I was placing stone slabs, then got a lag spike. So I left and rejoin, only to see the Student Centre exploding into exsistense. A few seconds later, I found out it was an actual explosion.

The people on at the time were:
Brane666
deathbergade
timsan321

These two logged in shortly after:
hugolinnea12
rory97

Hugo stayed
Timsan started randomly building and pretty much littering the world. He also griefed a bit of the remains. Hugo participates

TNT is off on the world

Tim started speaking a Scandinavian language and Hugo might speak it well.

Death left around 2:10

2:20: Hugo glitched out and just spams up the server
Tim accuses Death
Jackjack1217
leithal7
doggyroc
thesnowyowl
All join the game and leave. One has previous bans. Two have alternative accounts.
Only Jack stays

2:25 Hugo spams for a ban

2:31 Hugo (in Tutorial) kills Tim (in Creative) with his fists

2:33 Realize Tutorial Gate has glitched out. Won't allow you to activate it

2:36 Hugo bypasses the gate glitch

2:42 Kill Hugo. He starts greifing.

2:49 Tim and Hugo start spamming. Jack spams a bit

All 3 left shortly after
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:54 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

After looking at the logs it is clear that deathbergade, hugolinnea12 and timsan321 where the griefers. It looks like that had hacked clients.

The good news is thanks to our rollback system the damage was fixed in a few seconds and thanks to the mcbans plugin they are now banned and have there accounts reputation lowered on all servers running the plugin.

I have raised the minimum reputation required to join the server to 7.5 (new accounts start at a rep of 10). If any one has any issue with the new reputation requirement let me know and i can make an exception for your account.

And thanks to Monkeyguy5000 for the detailed account of the events.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
floreat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:25 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

sad that server seems to be down right now. it is awesome though and I'm happy to have found it and started playing on it ^__^
Raknarg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:46 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

I couldnt figure out how to get on to it, so i tracked down the IP.

Is this correct? 69.64.33.241
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:56 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

Sorry just got back home and saw that it was down. Rebooting it now but it may take some time to get back online.

Looks like there is still a bad memory leak causing it to crash.

@Raknarg you can use cs1.ca or 69.64.33.241
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
floreat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:03 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

woo hoo! I'll be waiting patiently Smile lol
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:29 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

floreat @ Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:03 pm wrote:

Same here :p

Out of curiosity, has anyone played Myst before? Might try making Minecraft versions of some puzzles when the servers back up Very Happy
floreat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:47 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

Monkeyguy5000 @ Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:29 pm wrote:
floreat @ Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:03 pm wrote:

Same here :p

Out of curiosity, has anyone played Myst before? Might try making Minecraft versions of some puzzles when the servers back up Very Happy

I used to love myst but haven't played it in years. that would be very cool though!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:13 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

Server should be online now. I still have to go through each plugin and find the one with the memory leak so it may go down again.
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:21 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

Dan @ Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:56 pm wrote:
Looks like there is still a bad memory leak causing it to crash.

One option to solve this (another server I use does this) is to have scheduled reboot times, such as every x hours or so. Set up a script to inform the users before it goes down, stop the server, then start it up again. Hopefully that'd be a quick fix until you can find a more permanent solution.
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:08 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

It appears as thought we had another crash. I had the map opened before it happened, and Floreat and Jew_Prine were exploring beyond the far regions of the map.
Coincidentally, another server crashed the same time as us

Edit: I also had two .jar errors when I reloaded the map at first. Afterwards, it didn't load at all for me.
floreat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

Monkeyguy5000 @ Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 pm wrote:
It appears as thought we had another crash. I had the map opened before it happened, and Floreat and Jew_Prine were exploring beyond the far regions of the map.

Edit: I also had two .jar errors when I reloaded the map at first. Afterwards, it didn't load at all for me.

we were wondering about that! we were trying to check out just past the north edge of the map. things got glitchy and would appear/disappear and then it crashed.
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:28 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

floreat @ Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:35 pm wrote:
Monkeyguy5000 @ Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:08 pm wrote:

we were wondering about that! we were trying to check out just past the north edge of the map. things got glitchy and would appear/disappear and then it crashed.

It's very possible. Thanks for sharing what happened on your end Smile
A theory I'm thinking of is world generation, or perhaps the map loading newly generated terrain. It'll be interesting to see what it is, and now that Dan has some more information, it hopefully will contribute to a solution
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:44 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.8.1)

It should be back online for now. Also there are now fourms for the server up at http://cs1.ca

Restarting automaticly is an option but a bit more difficult then it may seem. If the server is not shut down properly it can roll back a few minutes and the time it takes the server to shut down is not constant (when there is low memoery it can take over 15 minutes). It is also hard to check if the server is in a online, offline or crashed state in a restart script. The time it takes for the memeory to be used is also not constant, today it crashed 3 times, and was fine for almost 2 days strait before that. The best option maybe to go thorugh each plugin one at a time to try and find the leak but i have not had a chance.

Edit: Note that the live maps at maps.cs1.ca will be down for a bit, i think they may be causing the leak.
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:07 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Ship Building "Contest"

After coming to a realization that ship building is my weakest link (it's terrible, kill me now Shocked ), I thought it would be interesting to hold a sort of ship building "contest" to get other people into some building spirit.
All that you need to do is go to the Creative world and build a ship. Place your IGN and the name of your ship on a sign nearby.

There are no limits to entries

What types of ships can I build?
- Battleships
- Cargo ships
- Yachts
- Pirate ships
- Ships you might expect in a city port
- If you don't want to do water ships: blimps or small air crafts

What style should I go for?
Preferably wooden ships; stuff you'd expect to see in the medieval and pre-Industrial era.
Interior design is not required
You may play loosely around these preferences

Are there restrictions?
No. If you are making a water ship, then there are none.
Air ships and blimps should be small or medium-sized.
Preferably, cargo ships, yachts, and smaller ships should be 9 wide, 17 long, and 6 below below deck/water level

Who is judging?
I will be, and I will be asking Dan and one other, and ask Dan to pick someone else to help judge as well.

What's the chance of winning?
Quite high. If you participate and it looks good, then you'll win. There's lots of space for ships!
If you are doing an air ship, there will be a cap of accepted entries. 4 or 5 will be accepted. If the air ships go really well, there might make an airport!

Do I win anything?
Yes! If we approve of your ship, it will be imported into the city map that is under construction. Your name and the name you have given your ship will be kept with it to give you credit. Your ship will be part of the city and aid in increasing the greatness of it and it's role in the exploration we as a server want to convey to ourselves and others straying for their own realm.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 7 of 9  [ 130 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: