Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca Minecraft Server
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Would you use a CompSci.ca Minecraft Server?
(No ending time set)
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
Have minecraft but would not use.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't have minecraft but would use if i did.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Don't have minecraft and will never get it/would never use server.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Don't Know
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:26 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

^ You are making getting minecraft irresistible now. Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

I can help with such builds as Pubs (you can view mine on Port Royal as a reference of what I've done), and the city's port/ship yard.

Also, glowstone would be sweet. hint hint nudge nudge say no more say no more!
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:53 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

SNIPERDUDE @ Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 am wrote:
I can help with such builds as Pubs (you can view mine on Port Royal as a reference of what I've done), and the city's port/ship yard.

Also, glowstone would be sweet. hint hint nudge nudge say no more say no more!

Okay, sweet Very Happy

I've been thinking a lot about the pubs lately, and my idea was to make an artificial lake (or just use the one to the east) and make an underground club/bar sort of deal, with glass towards the lake. Another bar, I was thinking, would be like the Blue Moon Inn in Varrock (only you will know what that is), so like a bar with a few rooms above it, and keep the other inn on the other side of town.

As for the port, I was thinking north of the city would be a perfect location, and that a design similar to Port Sarim would be interesting. Of course, maybe expanding on that with making it surrounded by a housing suburb eventually. Might be interesting to add additional buildings as well, like a chapel or something.

Also, if anyone is wondering, the designs are from a variety of sources, such as Pwegosever, The Yogcast (the Shadow of Israphel series in particular), Runescape, Chaos Server (they have a VERY well made smithery) and just general things that my mind have created Mr. Green Should be beautiful

Edit: Also heck yes with the glowstone comment! So much better than torches, regardless of it's rarity
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:17 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Quote:
only you will know what that is

I'm pretty sure everyone has played Runescape at least once.iirc, Dan admitted once to having played it back in the classic 2D days. But everyone outgrows it.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:24 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

I haven't outgrown it, I just play it moderately so I don't. I don't play many games.

Anyhow, another idea I was think of for a pub is like Cheers. Underneath another building.
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:02 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

SNIPERDUDE @ Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:24 pm wrote:
Anyhow, another idea I was think of for a pub is like Cheers. Underneath another building.

I think this would be a great idea. We can make mini apartment complex above the bar. Another idea for a pub is one of those basement pubs, which is the same thing, but a floor lower, I guess.

So, for those of you who've seen it, the Grand Central Station is going decently. Haven't had too much time to work on it, but works been getting done. So far, the front walkway is done, using stone slabs, blue lining can be seen on the pillars and the trim of the foundation. The entrance has been confusing me, as I thought arches might be nice, but if you've seen it, it hasn't turned out very well. I think there should be a middle entrance and two lesser entrances in the front, but not sure what would make that look nice (ideas needed!). The inside has a temporary sandstone floor, which will stay, but have another block mixed in there in a nice fashion. There is two viewing areas to look into to see the tracks underneath. A fountain is in the center.

Although it is much bigger than I predicted, the good thing is that it's looking nice already. I'll need to expand outward, and probably temporarily knock down a section of the wall defenses Shocked The good thing is though, the stargate can be seated in a spacious area on the second floor, where you can also peer down. We could also put the teleporters up there as well, so it's a universal transportation building. There's going to be grand staircases up and down. The underground area will feature the various tracks with colour coding for each route. There's 4 routes that I know of that we need to build (can be expanded in the future): CS City, TheGreatRadio, Lysa, and CS Town. I'm working right now to dig out a section to start construction of that.

I'm looking for ideas, especially for the entrances. All ideas and constructive criticism are really appreciated because it helps me make better decisions than, for example, doing trial and error with smooth stone or playing with fences ( Shocked ). Comment on things, give ideas to improve, or even direct us to a Youtube video that has an interesting building idea that we could attempt to incorporate. Anything! Very Happy Also, anybody who'd like to tell us where their build is to incorporate the subway into, let us know (or you can always ask Dan to set up a public gate to your build as well)

Mirhagk and I are also willing to buy (or take donations for) gold and iron in exchange for lapis, since it's our biggest resource. Our exchange rates are 2 lapis for an iron bar and 5 lapis for a gold. These are used in materials to help build the tracks for the subway system. Hopefully, eventually, we'll be able to have two lanes for every route.
Lysa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

I have donated some lapis to the boxes that you have set up Smile It is looking good so far. But perhaps I can help to start tearing down other buildings making way for other people to help with construction of the rest of the city.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:59 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

I added a few NPCs in the city which will sell construction materials, heal players and repair items. The currency they use is "Crops" (item id 59), you can gain Crops by selling items to the NPC in the city. They buy things like gold bars, iron bars, dimonds, flowers, mushrooms, slimeballs, etc. Use the command "/trader list buy" after you right click on the trader NPC to see a full list.

Note, i picked Crops as the currency simply becues they are not possible to get durning normal game play.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:13 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Oh sweet sweetness.
Thanks, I'll try it out.
Any way to find out the trade rate or will it list it in-game?

Also, my Port Royal project has expanded from a dock with an inn to a small town (and growing). Anyone can add buildings to it, just keep with the general theme (you can most certainly add personal touches to it) and no griefing. There are now a few inns there, and I'm thinking of adding a Port Royal resources building, in which you can add to and take from only if it is put towards the town.

Not sure of the coordinates off-hand, however there is a teleport to it. For the gate there is a button on the right wall that will lower the fences.

Cheers
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:14 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Lysa @ Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 am wrote:
I have donated some lapis to the boxes that you have set up Smile It is looking good so far. But perhaps I can help to start tearing down other buildings making way for other people to help with construction of the rest of the city.

Thanks, Lysa Smile
That might be helpful, so sure, feel free to aid if you're able to build in the city.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Is it possible to add a VOIP like Mumble to the server? Not sure how that all works, but would be a good addition I think.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:30 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Mumble is pretty nifty. You can sync it with World of Warcraft so that players' voices originate from their characters. Not a very functional feature, but crazy and awesome.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:26 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

Looking at a few programs for chat it seemed the best candidate. Only thing is I have no clue how to set a server up. I'm knowledgeable with computers, not too much further than that.
Monkeyguy5000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:33 am   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

CS Server News
August 20th

Bringing you the News, eventually

TECHNICAL
? /afk now works
? NPC plug-in
? Dan updated plug-ins last night
? Now have access to several new things such as /loc [player] (locates another player) and /kill (suicide pill)
? Rhetorical to most, but we are at 1.7.2, regardless of the thread title
? PLEASE: Let Dan know of any glitches that occur due to plug-ins or unnatural phenomenon

COMMUNITY
? Port Royal is booming like crazy and is in great shape!
? Grand Central Station is coming along slowly. Expect the completion of the underground in the next two days
? We now have DesertTP (nothing useful really...) and the ForestTP
? There is a new building across from the ForestTP teleporter. Feel free to come here to get some free items, varying in usefulness. Donate if you'd like or ask me to come take items off your hands. There will be a storage space underneath eventually for more item storage. Beds and crafting room are free to use.
? In an attempt to one-up Dan, TerranceN has made a Zelda-theme song door. Follow the north-westerly path of the ForestTP to check it out
? The server is now hosting a good community of around 10 active people. One member commented how great it is to work with everyone
? Dan is now more godly and ghostly than ever now that he can monitor the game without playing
? Sighting of Herobrine are widely reported, so hide yo' picks, and hide yo' diamonds, cause he creepin' everything out there
? There is a wild ghast, with a skeleton rider, in the overworld. Sadly to say, this is not a joke. Dan and Monkey have failed in their attempts to kill the beast, but have at least prevented it from reaching the city
? Traders have set up shop in CS City. Come on down to trade for useful items, healing, and item repair
? Port Royal! Expect traders in your town soon, as businesses are eyeing you!
? Due to complaints about the unfortunate exit from the Nether, Monkey soon shall build a protected area around it and a walkway to the CS Town teleporter (TPHut)
? "There be strange things happenin' in the desert," said a random doomsayer. "I swear them government folk are up to somethin' no good!"
? Dan soon issued a statement that the man didn't know what he was talking about, then disappeared into the sand

TIPS AND TRICKS
? The best way to make money is to have a sugar cane farm. These are very easy to make, just build a water stream, and put the sugar cane around it
? A great location for sand is Dune. Take the stargate there and dig to your heart's content
? Due to Dune's sandiness, one can easily setup an animal mob trap. These require the player to be 25 blocks away and miles of grassless land from specific plots of grass. The animals spawn immediately and thanks to the intention of the trap, fall to their demise
? A good way to make a TV is to take wool and put it into the wall. 2x1, 2x2 and 4x2 are good sizes for smaller and medium-sized TVs
? Fireplaces require a 3x3x6 area to be fire-proof blocks, or it will burn down your awesome house

!EPIC EVENT!
So I had the idea to go hunting for a skeleton spawner and then make a public mob tra- ... pfft, to heck with that!
Due to an ingenious idea brought to us by Thegreatradio himself, we are going to be having a large community event! This will include:
? Construction of a defensive structure as a community in a distant area
? Defending of this structure by tons of mobs, some of which are unsual to us, such as a creeper on a spider (what the...?)
? Recording of deaths
? And when all is said and done... Construction of a huge war grave. A grave for every death!
So grab your shovel, and lend me your axe, as we construct this defensive fortification and then kick some major butt!
Details to come Very Happy [/u]
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:47 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca, updated to 1.6.6)

We should set a place and time for the event. The weekend would be best for me but i would like to hear when every one can be on so we can have it for the largest amount of players as possible.

Also i have plans for a more long term event that will be triggered by some action in game (which is not yet setup).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 9  [ 130 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: