Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca Minecraft Server
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Would you use a CompSci.ca Minecraft Server?
(No ending time set)
Yes
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
Have minecraft but would not use.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't have minecraft but would use if i did.
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Don't have minecraft and will never get it/would never use server.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Don't Know
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 43

Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:56 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

The server is now open to the public:

Hostname: cs1.ca

It will using the residence plugin to protect areas. Differnt areas will have diffrent rules based on the flags set by that areas owner.

See "/res ?", "/res select ?", and "/res create ?" for help on creating a residence. The basics are:

First select an area by using:

/res select x y z

where x, y and z are the offset form you current location for the area you want to define. You can also use the wooden axe to select an area by left clicking one point and right clicking another to form a rectenage.

Next use:

/res select vert

to make the select go from bedrock to the sky (if thats what you want).

To create the residence do:

/res create myresname

After you have created your residence you may set the rules for the area using "/res set", or "/res pset" see "/res set ?" or "/res pset ?" for detials and possible flags. You can set pvp areas if you like but by default the world is not pvp enabled.

It is also using the Wormhole X-Treme plugin for cross world travel. To use, find a stargate and right click on the sign on the DHD intill the world you wish to travel to is select, next pull the lever or push the button to open the gate. Set into the gate to warp to the new world.

Each world so far has a diffrent map to play with. I will be adding more in the future and on request. FlatLand and WaterWorld will be the creative maps but this is not yet enabled. CSCity is the main map and is just a noramly random generated map but with a city in the ceneter. Note that the area around CSCity is protected from building so you will have to go out some way to build somthing on this map (about 50-100 blocks length from the city wall).

Currently items do not cross over between worlds (you have a new inventory for each world). I am still debating weather to change this or not (leave some feedback).

There are also transporters on some of the maps that work the same way the stargates do but only travel in that world. I will be adding more when there are more places built with in each map to transport too.

You can view live maps of the worlds on the server here: http://maps.cs1.ca Use the arrow on the right to bring up the menu and select and map and viewing mode. You can also zoom to a player by clicking there name. By typing in the chatbox you can talk to the players currently online.

I can set custom names/alias for players if they wish. Just post or PM me your login and the name you want.

This is the first time testing the server out publicly so please do not try to break things too badly and let me know if you run into any odd issues. I will possibely be making a site for the server if it is popualr with some guides on how to do everything.

Please note that the server will be updated some time next week and will be down for that period. Also i am not sure how the update will effect what is on there when it happens.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:24 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

It tells me that this is a "bad login".
And on a sidenote: http://pc.ign.com/articles/117/1170209p1.html ...will that be coming to CompSci Servers? Mr. Green
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

I am not sure why you are getting a bad login error. Are you using a pirated copy? Is your copy up to date (1.5_01)?

From what i have googled about the error it seems to be an issue with you logging into the minecraft.net account server.

As for the link, the server allready has 2 sky type maps on it. I can't say i love them tho, creepers tend to blow holes right through the bottom.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:32 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Oh, nvm...it was a problem with my installation (reinstalling fixed the problem).
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Dan you need mcmmo Smile Also are you including nether? if you have multi world support Razz.
Edit: aww your server isnt F2P :/
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:27 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

copthesaint @ 24th May 2011, 7:24 am wrote:
Dan you need mcmmo Smile Also are you including nether? if you have multi world support Razz.
Edit: aww your server isnt F2P :/

It's free to play if you have a legal copy of the game. Even if i did want to encourage pirating minecraft, running the server in offline mode makes it hard to ban peoleop and would mean no custom skins.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:10 am   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Cant be that hard, Again look at this server, http://jdkmc.tumblr.com/
A group of highscool students run this server and Everything works on it, from custom skins to towns and is F2P
That server has people using custom skins and I have seen people IP banned for cheating Via Xraying so I cant imagine it would be too hard for you if a group of highschool students could do it Razz.

Now the topic of if you WILL do it is different because again pirating ect. All I have to say is I never would pay for something I knew didnt work Wink Look at some of the fullscreen exclusive glitches with the GUI when you run minecraft :S Would you have paid for windows ME knowing how shitty it was? Razz (I know its an unfair comparison...)
Nick

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:50 am   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

copthesaint @ Tue May 24, 2011 10:10 am wrote:
All I have to say is I never would pay for something I knew didnt work Wink Look at some of the fullscreen exclusive glitches with the GUI when you run minecraft :S Would you have paid for windows ME knowing how shitty it was? Razz (I know its an unfair comparison...)

it's a beta
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:01 pm   Post subject: Re: CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

copthesaint @ 24th May 2011, 10:10 am wrote:
Cant be that hard, Again look at this server, http://jdkmc.tumblr.com/
A group of highscool students run this server and Everything works on it, from custom skins to towns and is F2P
That server has people using custom skins and I have seen people IP banned for cheating Via Xraying so I cant imagine it would be too hard for you if a group of highschool students could do it Razz.

IP based bans are a pain to manage. It is easy for griefers with a dynamic IP to change there IP and you are limited in what you can do unless you ban there hole ISP or area. Also there are VPNs and open proxies to deal with. With account based bans they have to shell out another $20 for each ban (or at least use some one elses account).

Quote:

Now the topic of if you WILL do it is different because again pirating ect.

This is not some big facless company making minecraft but an independent devloper and orignaily one man. In this case you are directly stealing from the artist and coder unlikey with many games where you are just making the producer make sighitly less. Honestly i could care less if you pirate or not but i am not going to go out of my way to enable it.

Quote:

All I have to say is I never would pay for something I knew didnt work Wink Look at some of the fullscreen exclusive glitches with the GUI when you run minecraft :S Would you have paid for windows ME knowing how shitty it was? Razz (I know its an unfair comparison...)

As nick pointed out, in this case you are paying for a preorder of the full game and as a bounse you get full beta access. The idea is the preorders fund the devlopment of the full game, as this is an independent devloper. So by not buying a copy you are acutactly hurting the abiblity for them to fix thoes issues. Also this stance is incredibly hypocritical consdiering you find the game good enough to play on a F2P server and don't apply the same logic to other software (Windows 7 still has bugs, as does almost all software).
2goto1

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:17 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server

Good points Dan, few applications are bug free except for the most trivial ones. Saying that because commercial software is buggy you won't pay for it is about as weak an excuse as saying the dog ate your homework
Dan

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:42 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca)

Just a note. The 1.6 update is out for minecraft, however the server will be staying at version 1.5 intill there is a recommended or stable bukkit build to support it. There seems to be issues in the 1.6 update for SMP so i recomened not updating your minecraft intill the issues are resloved and bukkit supports it (you will not be able to access the server if you upgrade right now).
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:21 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca)

Oh so that's why I couldn't go on the server. THought that the school couldn't connect. Good to know my proxy craft could still work.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:22 pm   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca)

Since bukkit released official 1.6.6 support, will the server update now?
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:13 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca)

mirhagk @ 31st May 2011, 10:22 pm wrote:
Since bukkit released official 1.6.6 support, will the server update now?

When I get time. All of the plugins may have to be updated as well or at least tested throughly. I will post an update to this thread when it supports 1.6.6, hopfully soon.
copthesaint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:23 am   Post subject: RE:CompSci.ca Minecraft Server (now online at CS1.ca)

Isnt 1.6 unstable?

http://minecraft-server-list.com/server/1289/
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 9  [ 130 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: