Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CCC 2011 - Are you ready?
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
z_cross_fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

ultimatebuster @ Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 pm wrote:
techietim @ Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:39 pm wrote:
ultimatebuster @ Mon 28 Feb, 2011 7:37 pm wrote:
Not that prepared considered I'm writing it at 8:30 in the morning tomorrow.

First time writing this contest. I don't have any teachers who knows how to mark these contests and have experiences. How do you get marks from these contests? Is someone willing give me a quick run down on this? Thanks!

The grader for you will take your program, run it, then test is against data. Your school received, along with the question booklets, an additional grader booklet that contains input to feed into the programs and the expected output for each question. This is done after the contest is completed.

Since each question is worth 15 points, there are usually around 5 test cases; 3 points each. So if your code is not bullet proof, it is possible to get partial points for a question.

I believe (and anyone correct me if I'm wrong) that if your teacher grades your work and you receive over ~50%, they are required to submit your code to Waterloo, to ensure it was marked correctly.

Thanks for that. I believe I can get over 50%, since I should be able to solve 3 questions no problem. I just need some good luck with thinking of all the possibilities. Any tips? I'm doing junior contest.

It's kinda late to prepare now, but you can have a look at the past contests. Right now, I am having a look at the programs I have made before.
Also, this is an interesting read, written by Cyril Zhang (yes, it is the same guy that tops DWITE):

http://cyrilzhang.com/?p=1142
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

You are allowed to do Stage 1 in any language. If they decide that they need to mark your solutions (really, I think they just look over your code to make sure you didn't cheat), and they can't find your compiler/interpreter of choice, they'll contact you.

Edit: Haha, thanks. And good luck, good luck, good luck!
z_cross_fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Cyril @ Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm wrote:
You are allowed to do Stage 1 in any language. If they decide that they need to mark your solutions (really, I think they just look over your code to make sure you didn't cheat), and they can't find your compiler/interpreter of choice, they'll contact you.

Edit: Haha, thanks. And good luck, good luck, good luck!

Wait!??!?!?! So, we aren't allowed to guess outputs?
There goes my few points..... Shocked
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:21 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

You're definitely allowed to guess outputs, but your school might have a policy against it. Cheating would be if you get 15/15 and your code indicates that you've seen the official test data or something. When I wrote the Junior contest for the first time in 2006 (...I'm so old ;_Wink, I got something like 7 extra points by random guessing, but the school I was writing it at annulled those points after reading my code. My advice: if you're stuck, write something that resembles an algorithm.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:22 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

lol. well if you just display every possible answer, then they can't say you don't have the right answer, you just didn't format it right. Presentation error.

LOL.
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Stupid emoticons and no-editing. I meant "(I'm so old ;_; )".

Actually, be careful of presentation errors... if your correct solution gets invalidated, you'll be very frustrated. And make sure you submit the correct versions of your code... my failure to do so prevented me from getting into Stage 2 in 2008.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:28 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

I'm so excited guys, I can't wait to do this, even if I totally bomb it and crush my dreams.

I'm good at programming, but some of these problems get me stuck. If the questions are like the ECOO ones though, I should be okay.
z_cross_fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Cyril @ Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm wrote:
Stupid emoticons and no-editing. I meant "(I'm so old ;_; )".

Actually, be careful of presentation errors... if your correct solution gets invalidated, you'll be very frustrated. And make sure you submit the correct versions of your code... my failure to do so prevented me from getting into Stage 2 in 2008.

What do you mean by presentation errors? Indents, spelling mistakes and stuff? If you could tell more about your mistake, that would be great!
Also, you will definitely get into stage-2 this time Wink , while I will be struggling NOT to get ZERO. Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

like not doing new lines when they tell you to, or adding an extra newline or something like that.
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

My mistakes are rather boring, but since you asked, I'll tell you about them:

In 2006 (Junior), my program for #3 wrote "1 ways" instead of "1 way".

2007 (Junior) was a good year.

In 2008 (Senior), I submitted the wrong versions of my code for #1 (non-functional) and #5 (non-DP).

In 2009 (Senior), I got pwned by #5 fair and square.

In 2010 (Senior), I used the wrong algorithm for #3 and made a careless error for #5.

An extra newline at the end is probably okay, since they're just looking at screen output. But why risk it?
ccontest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:44 pm   Post subject: Re: CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

STUPID RTP allows only a maximum of 64 MB of memory...

If there is a problem that requires more than 64MB of memory, it's a guarantee i can't get full mark on that question.

Although I want to use C++, our school doesn't allow it and I need to use RTP. lol
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:47 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Tell them that some problems require more than 64 MB...
ultimatebuster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:56 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

I have no training in any algorithm or so whatever. I learned programming by myself lol. I was able to solve the 2010 J5 using a variation of Bread First Search that I came up by myself, and keep on trucking. Honestly i haven't dont much to prepare lol.
z_cross_fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:04 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

@Cyril, and mirhagk
Thanks for warning me about it. I appreciate that.

@Everyone
Good Luck! Very Happy
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 am   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Well, I have probably made the most irresponsible mistakes. For two of the CCC`s I wrote in high school, I forgot to save a program into the folder that`s being collected, costing me Stage 2 in grade 10 and last year.

The whole point of these contests is to gain experience, and most importantly have fun. On that note, good luck to all of you.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 8  [ 119 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: