Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CCC 2011 - Are you ready?
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bbi5291

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:09 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Shanethe13 @ Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm wrote:
Just got my mark: 63/75. Got S1-S4 right, but my attempt at S5 was a bit too slow to get more than couple of the test cases right in time. Got all the right answers, but some took more than a minute to calculate. I'm going to have to look at that linear solution someone alluded to in the other thread, it sounds interesting to say the least.

Great job to everyone who wrote the contest this year, it sounds like a lot of you are going to make it to stage 2!

Speaking of stage 2, as someone who has never been before, and stands a chance at going this year, how exactly does it work? Is it just a one-day contest, similar to stage one, except we have to use C or Pascal?
Great job! Quick facts:

• The languages supported at stage 2 are C, C++, and Pascal, and almost everybody uses C++.
  • Stage 2 is a 5-day (from Monday to Friday) all-expenses paid trip to the University of Waterloo (not sure how excited you should be about that xD). On two of those days you will have the competition; on the other days you will have lab sessions and listen to talks given by distinguished UW professors.
  • In the past there have generally been three problems per day in three hours; however, the format may change, as it did in 2009, when there were four hours given for three problems, and, since the IOI now has one easy full-feedback problem on each of its two days (in addition to three hard problems per day), maybe CCC stage 2 will start reflecting that (who knows really).
  • Unlike stage 1, stage 2 does not allow books and written materials during the competition.
  • If you think of stage 1 and stage 2 as being "exams", think of stage 2 being worth twice as much as stage 1 for the purpose of determining your final "mark" (or, as you might call it, your "IOI index"). Usually stage 2 problems are out of 25 each, for a total of 150 marks (so 75 from stage 1 and 150 from stage 2). In 2009 the stage 2 problems were out of 100 each, and the IOI index was 4 * stage 1 + stage 2 (300 + 600). It's not an important detail, anyway.
  • On Friday evening there will be an awards banquet. Every contestant will be either a bronze, silver, or gold medallist, and receive a plaque indicating this. There are four gold medallists. The numbers of silver and bronze medallists are not fixed; rather the cutoff between silver and bronze is wherever Troy thinks there is a "gap" in the list of scores. Each gold medallist will receive $500 and an all-expenses paid trip to the IOI (which is in Thailand this year, I think). Each silver medallist will receive $250.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:49 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Oh wow, that sounds like a lot of fun: now I really hope I end up in the top 20 Very Happy

And an all expenses paid trip to the University of Waterloo?! That'll be such an adventure, driving 20 feet down the street from my house!

Well, I hope to see some of you there if we all make it!

Thanks for the info bbi!
Cyril

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:55 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

It might be worth mentioning that you will be given C++ STL documentation during the stage 2 exams. And yes, it's a lot of fun; you'll get to spend a week discussing things that would perhaps bore your "regular" friends. There is wonderful free food at the end.

Oh, and if people are wondering about my score: I got a 66. -9 for a sign error in one case on #4. Such is life!
bbi5291

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:03 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Cyril @ Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:55 pm wrote:
It might be worth mentioning that you will be given C++ STL documentation during the stage 2 exams. And yes, it's a lot of fun; you'll get to spend a week discussing things that would perhaps bore your "regular" friends. There is wonderful free food at the end.
Stop lying to them Cyril. I ate the same boring meal at the closing ceremony three years in a row, and I recently got to eat it again. -_-
Cyril

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Ahaha. Stage 2 is not designed for repeat students (remember how many of our lectures overlapped), and that particular meal, once per year, isn't bad at all. And it's still more lavish than everyday food (or UW caf food).

But I'm biased, you see; I find food inherently wonderful. So maybe we'll never agree.
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 am   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Well, if it is anything like UW's caf food, I wouldn't want to eat it once a year...

However, the plaza right beside the university contains a huge variety of pretty good food.

Also, I was planning on visiting Stage 2 (I haven't really met a lot of the people here).
Cyril

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:39 am   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Nah, it's like... baby spinach tangerine salad, chicken breast with gravy/mashed potatoes/mushroom/three slices of bell pepper/arugula, and strawberry chocolate (cheese?)cake. Same room as the MCTIC banquet, minus the awesome cheese display, but naturally, the food is slightly more expensive.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

A.J @ Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 am wrote:
However, the plaza right beside the university contains a huge variety of pretty good food.

You're new here, aren't you? Laughing

I mean it in a way that the plaza food gets quite tiring after a few years.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:45 am   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

I have lived here for about 4.5 years. However, I have only been eating the plaza food for about half a year, so I guess I am not that sick of it yet.
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:22 am   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Cyril @ Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:55 pm wrote:
Oh, and if people are wondering about my score: I got a 66. -9 for a sign error in one case on #4. Such is life!

Ouch, that has to hurt. Did you solve S5 properly, too? Well, I'd imagine so, you are Cyril after all... Razz

I looked over my code for S5 again, and noticed that I did nearly the same thing. I made a typo in one of my heuristics, that would have cut the running time down enough that it would have gotten 15/15. I guess that doesn't count though, since a brute force is hardly anything to be proud of.
antybash

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:29 pm   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

When do the results usually come out for stage 1?
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:12 am   Post subject: Re: CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

Did Waterloo take down the results, or did their site rollback or something? I'm getting a 404 error for all results-related pages for 2011.
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 am   Post subject: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/computing/2011/stage1/2011CCCStage1Results.pdf
Shanethe13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:14 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:CCC 2011 - Are you ready?

A.J @ Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 am wrote:
http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/computing/2011/stage1/2011CCCStage1Results.pdf

Ah, thanks! I must have been trying to access it while they moved the page around, since now everything seems to be working.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 8 of 8  [ 119 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: