Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Turing_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:31 pm   Post subject: Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

Hey, everyone. It's been a while since I was on so I'm not sure if this topic was said or not.

Recently, my father upgraded our computer to Windows 7 and most of the files had to be put back.
So, I got the Turing 4.1.1 file, extracted it, and tried to run some of my programs. I ended up with a weird errors:

1) Unable to open file "C:\Users\*Censored*\Downloads\Turing 4.1.1\Turing 4.1.1\Support\Ini\turing_admin.ini".

The system cannot find the path specified.
[Error code: 3]

2)The environment has experienced an unexpected internal error.

This error is caused by a bug in the environment and is not your fault!
Details about crash... blah blah blah.

3) Turing was unable to initialize itself.
Turing will not be started.
For technical support,... blah blah blah

I'm not sure if there is a way to make it into XP mode, so PLZ HELP ME! And if possible make this a sticky so ppl will know.

Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

perhaps http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
andrew.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:16 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

Yeah, but he most likely has Home Premium, which would mean that XP Mode won't be installed.

@OP: Try running it in compatibility mode. Using a VM should be a last resort IMO.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

Pssshhh. A VM works wonderfully on my MacBook.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

I am using Windows 7 Home edition and it works fine for me. Have you tried installing Turing 4.1 instead? 4.1.1 has some problems compiling anyhow no matter the OS. I'm not running XP mode or anything else of the sort either.
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

I am using Win7Pro without issues. Try re downloading it or something. Also, take ownership of the files.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

This used to happen to me too...
One way to fix it would be to right-click on the Turing EXE file (probably in Program Files, depends on where you install it) and then set the compatibility for Windows XP SP3.

Otherwise, try re-downloading and re-extracting the files (Turing 4.1.1 ran fine on my other Win7 computers).
SNIPERDUDE

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

But as I said before, 4.1.1 was released seemingly in a hurry (Holtsoft going out of business), resulting in a compiling problem (this happens for all computers). Turing 4.1 has all the same features as 4.1 anyway, so there is no loss.

As mentioned, if re-installing it (or switching to 4.1) doesn't work, XP compatibility mode should do the trick. And then if that doesn't work, try 'taking ownership' of the program, there are several tutorials as to how to easily do this online if you Google it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
andrew.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:55 am   Post subject: RE:Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

@Tony: I personally don't like using them on a daily basis because, to me, it seems too slow (even on my MBP) to start up and launch the programs. Having an app run in compatibility mode (or under Wine in OS X/Linux) is a lot faster than a VM, although the performance of the program may be reduced.
Turing_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 am   Post subject: Re: Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'm on holiday.

Anyway, I did try and run it in compatability mode but nothing. I'll try it again (the compatablility mode) and if nothing, Tony's website when I get back to my computer.

Thanks for the help Smile
Ricco62

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

Turing_Gamer:

Do you mean that you can start Turing and that you get errors when you try to run a programs?

or

That just running Turing causes errors?

Turing will start up in my Windows 7 x64 (in the admin account) without any other 'tweaks'.
I have also run some programs (4, just new to this Wink ) both as pasted code, an opened .t file
and using exe's and so far have not seen any strange errors.

An interesting note here, I am getting into Turing because my godson is learning it in high school, but
he was telling me that he is having problems just running Turing and he has Win 7 x64 as well
And on a yet a third computer (also has Win 7 x64) it seems to work!

So two maybe's for you:

Maybe the location of the Turing files is in a path that is too long. This is easy to check: just move your
Turing folder to the root of C drive, the path should be as short as it can get there, and try to run something.

Also, I know on both mine and the third computer that Turing was run from the administrator account
so that may have something to do with it. So, if the first suggestion doesn't work, try running from an
account that has admin privileges.

I'll post if we figure out why my godson's comp won't run Turing.

Good luck.
Turing_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

Well it doesn't matter now... The comp got killed Sad
The Computer was getting so old and overused that the CPU and/or Motherboard got fried. My father gave it to the tech guys. They managed to fix it, but the floppy drive doesn't work, half the memory is unaccessable, and 2 devices aren't working. He looked up what he can do to access the BIOS and revive the memory and restore the previous settings but it took a turn for the worst. Now it won't boot. Sorry for putting all of you through this.

BTW I checked Tony's site and "You are not eligible to download Windows XP Mode. You must have Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate to run Windows XP Mode." I have Home edition. Yes, I can see that I can upgrade if I want, but I don't have a personal comp/laptop yet so I need permission. Thanks anyway. Smile
Ricco62

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:18 am   Post subject: Re: Windows 7 / Turing Error - NEED HELP

For anybody who is having an issue with Turing and Windows 7 (x64) it should work.
I have seen it running on three different computers, all in administrator accounts and
once in a 'Standard' account.

One computer (my godson's) initially had an error but it was due to an extraction error of
the original zip file as when Turing was re-extracted, it ran fine.

I tested my theory that Turing_Gamer's problem was a 'long-path' error and seemed
that I was able to get the same error as him. i.e. 'The system cannot find the path specified...'

Also note that when testing this out I also got three other 'errors':
- depending on how I created the long path, Windows either would or wouldn't allow the long name

but when I got a long path set up:
- for one test nothing happened at all when trying to run turing.exe
- and during another test when trying to run turing.exe I got the error message:

These files can't be opened.
Your Internet security settings prevented one or more files from being opened.' ??

So...

Turing can be run in Windows 7 as long as the path is not too long and Windows (as usual)
can't seem to make up it's mind weather it likes them or not Wink
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: