Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [Possibility of harmful programs]
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
barneyoncrack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:23 pm   Post subject: I have a program somewhere that opens up a CD-ROM!

I made a program called cd-tray opener. you just click on it then a window pops up and you press 2 buttons one either to open the Cd-Rom or to close it. If you want it, then I can send you...
Wink
No harmful code there... Exclamation
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DIIST

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:43 pm   Post subject: Re: I have a program somewhere that opens up a CD-ROM!

barneyoncrack wrote:
I made a program called cd-tray opener. you just click on it then a window pops up and you press 2 buttons one either to open the Cd-Rom or to close it.

Is that even possible in Turing? Confused
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm sure using the system() method you might be able to do something like that...
do_pete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I believe there is a program, eject.exe or something like that, in the WINDOWS folder that opens the CD drive
do_pete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I found it. On my computer it's in C:/SYSINFO/CDOPEN.exe
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

...and it wasn't written by barneyoncrack. Wink
Unisyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Viper wrote:
it would be nice if there was a virius program that could catch and kill all virisus

You mean an antivirus program?

Online virus scanner
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Unisyst wrote:
Viper wrote:
it would be nice if there was a virius program that could catch and kill all virisus

You mean an antivirus program?

Online virus scanner

No. All viruses.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Unisyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's sort of the point of a Virus Scanner. It updates for all new viruses.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. A virus scanner only updates for and detects the most widely spread viruses that have been detected. This definately does not cover everything.
Unisyst

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A virus scanner detects malicious code. If there is something dangerous is found, it is updated. This does not include exploits, however. If it is not dangerous it's not much of a 'virus'.
md

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Virus scanners only detect the most common viruses; there are many many viruses which are not as wide spread which will not be detected; as well as many old viruses that are no longer checked for (by old I mean 10+ years old.
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

A lot of viruses are caught by checking for generic virus schemes. Many older viruses are nabbed by these schemes, so they don't need to be checked for individually.

Small-scale viruses (ie if you made one just to distrbute to 'friends') are too localized to catch.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If they are too localized to get caught, chances are they arent that harmful Wink
md

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Not nessessarily; a slow spreading virus could easily pass under the radar. At least for a while. The thing is that most virii these days are designed to spread as fast as possible, which makes them rather obvious. These are clearly not very well designed virii. A good virus would be slow and not affect system performance at all. Afterall if your virus is detected and deleted it can no longer work. If it goes unoticed for a year and then does whatever you want it's muc hmore effective.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 54 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: