Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Urgent - Net Help - Multiple connections.
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Penguin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 11:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sorry to spam, but one more thing. Do you still remember the structure of the source you had when you connected to 3 people at once. I'm interested in making a mirc style chat.

anyone else have any suggestions?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Penguin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

doesn't anyone have any suggestions of previous experience with making a more than 2 way chat program????
Blade

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 7:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think they've already told you to use more than one connection. one person hosts and as the other two chat the host sends the messages back and forth
Penguin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

k, ye, i was just curious to know the exact structure tony used.
void

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

chat is possible with turing in as many clients as you want the only problem is the lag and the fact that too many users will crash your program...i remember that i made mine with a flexible array, every time a client attempted to connect to my server, it stored him as a single variable, increased the max value of the array, and stored him as the last variable in that array and dumped the value in the single variable, this way its like an ID check at a club
1.you enter
2.you connect
3.you wait to allowed entrance while you are being initialized as a client
4.you are connected once part of the array
the only problem is when we reached past 4, we started spamming like mad and the server shut down and we all got 5 day in school suspension...lolz.... Twisted Evil ...to bad...it stunted our intelectual growth (yea rite)
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL, they suspended you for chatting in turing?! man, thats nuts... especially for 5 days Confused

lol, I remember that net send got out of control on our school's network... it was removed from the start bar, but you can still access it by creating a shortcut (if you know what to type) or using a programming language (in our cares VB...)... me and my friend got quite annoyed so we also programmed our nukes... usually a small program to send out 10,000 messages... that kind of hangs the other computer... well untill user is done clicking Twisted Evil
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
void

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lolz....yea...we got suspended this year too...from our accounts for using telnet by creating a shortcut to it
Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm, I'm pretty sure that you can't get multiple connections in turing. Tony and I played around with it a bunch last summer, but couldn't get it to work.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I though we were trying to make a over the network game, but we couldnt get it to real time.. lag was horrible...

but multiple connections are possible
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Penguin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for all the help, but I've convinced a friend of mine to help me construct a server program so that the clients can connect to it. He has done it a few times before, anyone in toronto who has participated in math competitions may know him. Anyways, he loves turing and I'll post the source for the server when its complete.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 4:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Why does it matter if we live in Toronto or not? I though math contests (waterloo once) are national Confused

I'm from Toronto 8)
Delta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:09 pm   Post subject: OK.....my thoughts....

I have began production on a multiple connection chat room.... these connections are made as followed......

Anyone can create their own server ... and anyone can connect to it (if IP or computer name is known)....there will be nick support and also private messaging to anyone in the chatroom also a buddylist....also, this is a maybe...if I get it working properly, sending files....prolly only textfiles and pictures....not sure if exe's will work.... but testing is in progress.....I will post up the program as I feel neccessary to do so..... wish me luck.....

-Delta
-Feel free to add me to your MSN list (ssdelta_@hotmail.com)
-Comments and suggestions always welcome
DanShadow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have never been able to get a server to connect to more th an 1 client, or anything close to that. But seriously, if anyone can get this to work, please pm me! I have an idea:
Keep 1 server open all the time, connects to multiple clients. When a client sends info to the server, the server will sort it out, and return info accordingly.

Ex. Client sends variable 'input' to server
input:="stat list"
server>>>
if input="stat list" then
get net %something% ....

Well sorry...thats too confusing. I mean to make a MUDD in Turing using 1 server and multiple clients, practically to create a multiplayer game...heh
Canadian Rob

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, I guess im lucky then lol my teacher he does not "WANT" To know the admin passowords because he says it creates him a "new Job" lol well yea.. I have the admin passwords for Win Select and sum other ones.. and yea.. Not once in trouble.. I Even TRIED To get in trouble once I typed it in RIGHT In front of him and he was like Question What are you doing? Im like geting the start bar, he goes oh? k.. and just walks off lol Ither he doesnt care or has NOOOOOOOOO Clue lol Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: