Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [tutorial] compiling source code into .exe file
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:31 pm   Post subject: [tutorial] compiling source code into .exe file

wow Shocked never though this could count as a tutorial, but apparently I came across this question posted more then once Rolling Eyes So here it is.

First of all - make sure you have ether WinOOT 3.x series or the latest version of v4. If you have WinOOT v4.0 you cannon compile, because it is not a full version of the IDE Rolling Eyes Go to HoltSoft and download latest patch (which is in fact larger then the installer file you got in first place Laughing) If you're using an old DOS IDE instead... well... I refuse to talk to you Rolling Eyes Go get your software updated somewhere.

Now, take a closer look at your menu... See that "Run"? Well I'm sure you do... HoltSoft has done a great job making interface to confuse anyone by naming a bunch of different things with same name Rolling Eyes

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I'm talking about THAT run menu item Very Happy Click it.

Now a bunch of options come up:

You want the "Generate stand-alone program" item.

That brings up yet another menu Laughing

Those are just some options your program can have while running.

Clicking "ok" will compile your hello world program into a 600kb executable file Laughing

exe3.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.93 KB
 Viewed:  21851 Time(s)

exe3.GIF

exe2.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.53 KB
 Viewed:  21823 Time(s)

exe2.GIF

exe1.GIF
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.7 KB
 Viewed:  21834 Time(s)

exe1.GIF

Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it should be noted that verson 3.x has MANY bugs when compiling espalty when using lessused modulages like sprites, GUI and some of the wired inputs (NET, ect). some times restarting truing then trying to complie b4 you do anything other then load the file will wrok. Also i have found that the compiled verson of progames in turing some times do not run like the verson that is run in turing, epstlay with colors, fonts and perofmance (speed).
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Omicron91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Do you have to have Turing installed on a computer to run the .exe?
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Omicron91 wrote:
Do you have to have Turing installed on a computer to run the .exe?
Nope, it works without it.
Jonny Tight Lips

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What happenes if you have more then one turing file. Like you have an include or import for example. What would happen? Would you stil nee to have all the other files and pictures and crap for it to run and would those files also become exe or would they stay as .tu?
Andy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think they include it all in the exe yea im pretty sure they do.. thats y turing is so crap
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

only the code is compiled (though all of it). You still have to include all of your image and data files separatly.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When I used to use my old, Turing (original) stand alone compiler - the .exe's were around 100kb, and now they are nearing 1mb... Does anyone have an explanation for this? I can understand an increase in size (music, gui?, etc.) but it makes it really painful to have a 720kb "hello world" program...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It is painful. But, it is Turing. Sorry, there isn't any logical explanation I can offer. I tried removing all of the predefs and compiling a simple program (that is, a single commented line) and it did nothing to lower the size noticeably.
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Where do I get this? The version my teacher gave me gives me an alertbox about it not being able to make an exe yet.
Bacchus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

did it say something like a missing end if or end for? pretty sure it would just be syntax
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

versions before 4.04 or something dont have the compiler built in them so you will get an error message. You will need one of the old compilers to compile (if you need to).
Shyfire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:13 am   Post subject: size of files

ya turings size of the .exes is a pain. so i use a .exe compressor
thats the only way iv found around it
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What is a good .exe compressor? And how does it compress the executable?
Shyfire

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:45 pm   Post subject: well.......

1: cexeGui is what i use
2: it works something like winzip but still keeps your .exe playable with out unzipping.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 27 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: