Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CompSci.ca Contest?
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Should CompSci.ca have a Big Contest Like the CCC?
(No ending time set)
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 25 ]
Only if there are good prizes
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
No
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
No option
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 39

zomg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

we should definitly have a contest goin...that would be awesome
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:10 am   Post subject: (No subject)

We'll do one in a couple of weekends.
zomg

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

o sweet how is it judged?
and is it for turing
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 4:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

We should say ppl with over 2 years of experience in turing should be excluded -_- Laughing
josh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think that it is a great idea. Definantly attract alot of traffic to this site. We would have to see if the schools would promote it though.

Possible Languages:
-Turing
-Java
-PASCAL (I don't know it personnlal but I heard it was used for lots of contests)
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

u list pascal and not c++?? wtf
josh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

srry, I wasn't thinking strait, just that if u want to target high skools, most of them (to my knowldege) don't teach C++. They teach Turing, (and my skool does VB and Java)
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it'll only work if compsci.ca have makes an auto-judger. (btw only a couple of individuals are interested in contests -- they all say they are interested, but when it comes down to the actual competition, nobody bothers to do anything) so this is not going to happen. besides, there are enough contests around, such as topcoder, acm, uva, usaco, ccc, dwite...
a perhaps more feasible idea is to have AI contests. but nobody is interested in these too
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zomg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

dude alot of people would love submit there programs for a contest but we need to be given time to make/debug the program or else its worthless

wat compsci needs to is majorly announce a contest all over the page like 2 months before judging then people can submit there program whenever they want until Judgement day(lol)

the point is the fact that no one ever submits because its not big enuff of a deal, a contest should giving more attention

and shure there are lots of of contests, but it we just be better if compsci has one...i cant explain y but compsci is kinda like our programming home
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think the big issue is time, with all the crap going on at uni thess days i baerly have enougth time to read all the post never mind make V3 or run any contests Confused
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rhysticlight wrote:
srry, I wasn't thinking strait, just that if u want to target high skools, most of them (to my knowldege) don't teach C++. They teach Turing, (and my skool does VB and Java)

err yes they do..

and shadow master, we do have a contest like that, ever been to the contest section? Rolling Eyes
djlenny_3000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge, we do have contest but not any with prizes, in those copntests you get the knowledge that you did better than everyone, you can gloat, brag watever, in this one there are prizes

now i think there should be not AMAZING prizes, but maybe bits and a gift certificate or sumtin, as for programs, eat your heart out, chose what you like, however, depending on the program there should be different marking schemes, for example an amazing turing program should get a 10/10 but the same program in c++ should get a 3?10 as to the complexity of the program. the judging should be done by HARDCORE gaming fans as they will love to do this *not implying anything as i dont want to judge* maybe the mods can get someone that has large amounts of experience in programing and use him to decide how well the programs are structured and written. as a final thought i think you should put up a CCC you will get many entries
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Ban yourself from the forums Dan (you've done it once, you can do it again Wink)

We need some v3!
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

u do realize that we dont make much from the ads rite? compsci.ca is a non profit organization.. where do u suggest we get money from?
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Ban yourself from the forums Dan (you've done it once, you can do it again Wink)

We need some v3!

I have also deleted tonys acount b4 but we try not to talk about that......

Yes V3 whould be nice, i am still aming for a beat verson at the end of christmass break.

Speaking of google they say they are sending me a check this week..........
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: