Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 That first co-op term at UW... for CS
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Punmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm   Post subject: That first co-op term at UW... for CS

I'm genuinely concerned about that first work term at UW. I will be in my 1A term in Fall 2010.

I actually logged into jobmine a few days ago, to get an idea of what kind of jobs are available to CS junior students. I noticed that everything requires at least two years of personal experience. Or a job available in a pharmaceutical company, which favours those with a background in biology (guess who didn't touch bio throughout high school!).

I am one of those students are are going into CS with no prior experience. I'm less worried about how I do in class, but more worried about this first co-op term. Since logging in to Jobmine, I have been madly reading "An Introduction to C++ for Dummies", in order to somehow, catch up, to the rest of my class. I think this is the only thing I can do as of right now.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I was wondering, from those with experience in the co-op system at UW, how hard is it to get that first job, assuming someone has next to nothing to show in programming experience? I understand that most of the regulars in this forum do not fit into my situation, but any estimation/ideas would be helpful.

Thank you for any advices in advance!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 pm   Post subject: Re: That first co-op term at UW... for CS

Punmaster @ Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm wrote:
I noticed that everything requires at least two years of personal experience.

You have to understand that some of the requirements lists are like "wish lists", and employers often have to settle for less. They also might be more of a description of what you will use on the job, rather than what you need to get it.

Employers understand that many students have little or no experience; they are hiring first-term students based on potential. That said, the first work term placement is the hardest to get. Working on your interviewing skills might be a better way to spend your time.

Quote:

I am one of those students are are going into CS with no prior experience.

I'm curious as to how you came to choose CS as a major. Usually one tries out a field first to see if one likes it.
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:45 pm   Post subject: Re: That first co-op term at UW... for CS

Punmaster @ Thu May 20, 2010 2:17 pm wrote:
I was wondering, from those with experience in the co-op system at UW, how hard is it to get that first job, assuming someone has next to nothing to show in programming experience? I understand that most of the regulars in this forum do not fit into my situation, but any estimation/ideas would be helpful.

Interview skills and personability are what will get you a job, not programming experience. There are plenty of first-years in the same situation as you, so just relax.

I know some poeple who would argue that going in with no prior experience is beneficial, because you won't have to un-learn bad habits. If you insist on learning on your own, C++ is one of the worst languages to start on. It will cause much more frustration that it's worth.

Prof Ragde has more wisdom than I; he'll probably chime in at some point.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:45 pm   Post subject: RE:That first co-op term at UW... for CS

Keep in mind that most people in your class will have 0 relevant job experience as well.

Depending on your co-op sequence, that first work-term is quite a long time away.

A lot of junior jobs are in the QA/IT and require little programming experience. You'd want to get to software development jobs as soon as you can, but it's often the case that it happens in a 2+ work term. Even then, you are best to show/talk-about a personal project that demonstrates some understanding of a language, rather than saying that you've read a book.

Depending on what you want to do, I might suggest pursuing something like Ruby/Python over C++. You might be happier with yourself. (Although yes, a large chunk of the field is in C++/Java land)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
chrisbrown

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:48 pm   Post subject: Re: That first co-op term at UW... for CS

chrisbrown @ Thu May 20, 2010 2:45 pm wrote:

He also types faster too.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:10 pm   Post subject: Re: That first co-op term at UW... for CS

chrisbrown @ Thu May 20, 2010 2:48 pm wrote:
chrisbrown @ Thu May 20, 2010 2:45 pm wrote:

He also types faster too.

Heh, I do type fast. Also I am avoiding work (revising CS 135 slides).

As for wisdom, you said things I didn't (that I probably should have mentioned), so pat yourself on the back as well.
Punmaster

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:26 pm   Post subject: Re: That first co-op term at UW... for CS

Thank you for the replies every one! I'll take a look at Ruby and Python.

To Prof. Ragde, you are right. I honestly still do not have an answer as to why I chose to major in CS. I knew I always wanted to do math, so I chose a program in the math faculty. I actually started my 1A term in Fall2009, but had the withdrawal only two months later because I got really sick. I honestly was not spectacular at CS135 and was very slow. But I honestly did have fun and enjoyed the little bit of time I spent in the program. I'm heading back to the exact same program this Fall, and have an idea of "how hard I have to punch" to get through in terms of academics. I can only base my experience and reasoning on this little time frame, which was painfully exciting.

I'll go relax, and start reading the right stuff. Mr. Green
flayz

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:44 pm   Post subject: RE:That first co-op term at UW... for CS

hi punmaster lol im from sa...

so ur basically repeating 1A this fall? nice im going to see u
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
napwressyrisp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:45 am   Post subject: That first co op term at UW for CS

I hear about such a phenomenon for the first time. Does it really exist?
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: