Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science and McMaster University
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Kam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science and McMaster University

Thanks for the reply. I have more questions:
1) Do you guys get one big projects (ie. summatives) for the courses you've taken?
2) Have you had any trouble so far with McMaster? (trouble being experiencing difficulty in terms of the workload, difficult profs/confusing lectures, lack of student motivation, bad peers, etc.)
3) You've already had more than a year of experience at McMaster, so could you go over briefly what you liked about the first year computer science course, and what you didn't like (I know it's a introductory course and that the course itself may move very slowly, but is it compensated by challenge problems profs assign to you?)
4) I am applying for the computer science programs (both co-op) at Waterloo and UofT, and I was planning to apply to McMaster as well but like I said above, the mandatory engineering courses is scaring me off from choosing McMaster. Could you approximate how much more difficult these engineering courses are compared to the computer science course? I don't mind the math, in fact, I'd prefer majoring in both computer science and math.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Superskull85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science and McMaster University

Before I answer your questions, I want to clarify that I have only had one term experience at McMaster so far, but I have liked it so far. Sorry if my previous posts were misleading.

1) Non of the courses I've taken so far have required us to submit one big project. However, I did have to do several assignments throughout the semester (4 in Introduction to Programming (1MD3), 5 in Engineering Mathematics 1 (1Z04) and some in my electives (Physics 1L03, Greek 1Z05 and Psychology 1X03)).

2) I haven't had too much trouble with required courses, only with some of my electives (for example in Physics 1L03 some students just did not want to do any work on a lot of the assignments, and looked to others for answers). Overall I would say that there are no serious problems I had with workload, professors or students, though I have found that the more social students seem to have more problems with university overall than other less social students. However, I think this is more due to how students generally approach university, and not just a trend at McMaster.

3) Like I said at the beginning I have only completed term so far. Introduction to Programming (1MD3) did not really challenge me too much, but that may be because of the amount of knowledge of Computer Science I had before entering first year. Based on the feedback from the Teaching Assistants I can reasonably say that some students have found some of the assignments tricky. I cannot say for certain if this course represents the level of difficulty for all first Computer Science courses, as I have only taken the one so far.

4) If you don't mind the math than the only Engineering course you have to worry about is the safety course, which I don't have an opinion as I have not taken it yet. I would say that for me Engineering Mathematics is the hardest first year course that is required for you to take. However, if you are good at both math and general programming than you should be able to handle Engineering Mathematics 1 (1Z04) and Introduction to Programming (1MD3) fairly well.

Really the only courses that you have in common with first year Engineers are the two math courses and the safety course. You don't have to take Physics, Chemistry, any Engineering design courses, or pretty much anything related to Engineering except for the two math courses. I wouldn't worry about the Engineering courses too much, as you will still be focusing on Computer Science and not Engineering.

If you don't mind me asking, why are the Engineering courses scaring you away from applying to McMaster?
Kam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science and McMaster University

Thanks for the quick reply. The main reason why I'm not really fond with engineering is because most universities generally have a high mark average of acceptance for them. (I know this sounds a little stupid, the other main reason is because I do not know much about engineering overall). I have other minor reasons such as when I took computer engineering at grade 10 and 11. (I know it's not entirely engineering but it is partly so in terms with computer hardware). I found out during grade 11 that I enjoy and do well programming on the computer rather than working on the physical computer components. (as well as wiring circuits).

If my previous posts seem to get you to think that I absolutely hate engineering... I don't really, it's just that I wouldn't really put it in my top favourite subjects (ie. just like when you're good at sciences, but not in history, you wouldn't like history).
Superskull85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science and McMaster University

Even though Computer Science is under the Faculty of Engineering it is very much geared towards software and little hardware. Like I mentioned before, the majority of mandatory Engineering courses are just math courses, and safety course which all students in the Faculty of Engineering have to take.

McMaster has a 78-80 percent admission average for Computer Science, so it is high, but not too high.

I don't want to force you to pick McMaster as your third choice, but I just wanted to clear up any concerns you may have with the program so that you can make a decision based on the Computer Science program and not because it is listed under the Faculty of Engineering. Smile
Kam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 am   Post subject: RE:Computer Science and McMaster University

Superskull85, thanks for all the info you've provided me with. From your opinion, and from a few of my other friends I asked today and yesterday, I'll probably choose McMaster as my third choice for university. Thanks for all the help you've done Wink
changturkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:35 am   Post subject: Re: Computer Science and McMaster University

What is the co-op sequence like?
Superskull85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science and McMaster University

Now that I have nearly completed my last three course in the Computer Science course at McMaster University, I wanted to share my thoughts concerning these courses, and how my year went overall.

MATH 1ZZ5 (Engineering Mathematics 2):

Content-wise, this course contains brand new topics not covered in any High School mathematics course (at least the ones I was able to take). This year at least, it contains topics such as integrals (area under/between a curve, volume, arc length, surface area, etc), parameterized curves, polar graphs, multi-variable functions, etc. and explains the calculus of new ways of expressing graphs. Unlike in MATH 1Z04 (Engineering Mathematics 1) this material should be new and relatively challenging.

The course so far is not that hard, as long you understood the concepts you learned in MATH 1Z04. However, because you introduced to new ways of expressing graphs, you may have a harder time to adjusting to new content, but the calculus applied to the graphs is similar to that of graphs consisting of only 2 cartesian (sp?) variables. You should do reasonably well in this course, as you long as you did well in MATH 1Z04.

COMP SCI 1FC3 (Mathematics for Computing):

This explains a form of mathematics (or logic) that is very different than you may be used to. You will study topics such as propositional logic, boolean algebra, quantification, what an expressions and theorems really are, etc. If you have programmed before you probably have used some of this material already. For example, when forming an if statement you write an expression that would be checked for its "truth" value, if the value is true the program will do one thing, if the value is false the program will do another thing. A counted loop could be expressed using a quantification, and when you debug code you will usually check if your expressions are returning the right value, or that your variables are being assigned the right type. You will learn how to do all of this using a mathematical style.

A word of caution before you begin studying this material. Do not think that just because you are good at traditional mathematics (such the Calculus you learn in High School) that you will do well in this course. The content you learn in this course is very different, and often you have to be very precise when presenting solutions (or proofs).

The workload is pretty heavy if you do all of the work the professor suggests (this includes are assignment and exercise questions, and proofs of the axioms and theorems in the textbook), but it is doable. There were weekly assignments this term, so you will be constantly doing proofs of various axioms and theorems, which should prepare you for the midterms and exam. My first midterm in this course was not that bad at all, and contained few questions. However, because you have to proof theorems, one question does take a bit to do (developing a working proof and presenting it well).

I personally enjoy this course a lot, and look forward to the rest of the content. This is one of the mandatory courses that you would have to take.

COMP SCI 1TA3 (Elementary Computing And Computer Use):

This course focuses on how to use computers, and how computers function. It covers topics such as how data is represented in a computer, how computers can be used to do things, how information is transmitted over networks, how a computer works on hardware and software level, etc.

The course is meant to educate non-tech savvy students, on how to use a computer effectively. Because of this, other non Computer Science students can take this course, and it may be boring to a Computer Science student. However, if you do not know that much of how a computer actually works, or you want to make sure you know, I would take this course if you can. Before beginning this course I did know a good deal of how computers work, but I was able to learn even more about computers, and this has helped me a lot.

Now this term the course did not have any midterms. Instead it had weekly quizzes, assignments and one exam. This may be a bad thing if you prefer having a final exam that is work a little bit less. The assignments focus on how to use software such spreadsheets and databases.

Overall, if you want to more about computers, I would take this course.

---------------------------------------------------

I have enjoyed my first year at McMaster in Computer Science, and learned, what I think, will be very useful in to me in my studies. I will be continuing my Computer Science studies at McMaster, so if you have not already applied to universities, and are going to do so for next year, I will provide my insight of second year Computer Science next year.

Course selection for upper year students I believe starts soon, and I think first year students have to select their by July sometime. So if you have chosen McMaster as the university you want to go for Computer Science, I would encourage you to take all four first year Computer Science courses.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Smile

P.S.

changturkey @ Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:35 am wrote:

I haven't gone through the co-op sequence that much other than completing the required course. I can't give you too much information on that topic.

Sorry of the really late response, but it seems I did not see this question around the time you posted it.
hammad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:19 am   Post subject: Re: Computer Science and McMaster University

Superskull85 @ Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 pm wrote:
Now that I have nearly completed my last three course in the Computer Science course at McMaster University, I wanted to share my thoughts concerning these courses, and how my year went overall.

MATH 1ZZ5 (Engineering Mathematics 2):

Content-wise, this course contains brand new topics not covered in any High School mathematics course (at least the ones I was able to take). This year at least, it contains topics such as integrals (area under/between a curve, volume, arc length, surface area, etc), parameterized curves, polar graphs, multi-variable functions, etc. and explains the calculus of new ways of expressing graphs. Unlike in MATH 1Z04 (Engineering Mathematics 1) this material should be new and relatively challenging.

The course so far is not that hard, as long you understood the concepts you learned in MATH 1Z04. However, because you introduced to new ways of expressing graphs, you may have a harder time to adjusting to new content, but the calculus applied to the graphs is similar to that of graphs consisting of only 2 cartesian (sp?) variables. You should do reasonably well in this course, as you long as you did well in MATH 1Z04.

COMP SCI 1FC3 (Mathematics for Computing):

This explains a form of mathematics (or logic) that is very different than you may be used to. You will study topics such as propositional logic, boolean algebra, quantification, what an expressions and theorems really are, etc. If you have programmed before you probably have used some of this material already. For example, when forming an if statement you write an expression that would be checked for its "truth" value, if the value is true the program will do one thing, if the value is false the program will do another thing. A counted loop could be expressed using a quantification, and when you debug code you will usually check if your expressions are returning the right value, or that your variables are being assigned the right type. You will learn how to do all of this using a mathematical style.

A word of caution before you begin studying this material. Do not think that just because you are good at traditional mathematics (such the Calculus you learn in High School) that you will do well in this course. The content you learn in this course is very different, and often you have to be very precise when presenting solutions (or proofs).

The workload is pretty heavy if you do all of the work the professor suggests (this includes are assignment and exercise questions, and proofs of the axioms and theorems in the textbook), but it is doable. There were weekly assignments this term, so you will be constantly doing proofs of various axioms and theorems, which should prepare you for the midterms and exam. My first midterm in this course was not that bad at all, and contained few questions. However, because you have to proof theorems, one question does take a bit to do (developing a working proof and presenting it well).

I personally enjoy this course a lot, and look forward to the rest of the content. This is one of the mandatory courses that you would have to take.

COMP SCI 1TA3 (Elementary Computing And Computer Use):

This course focuses on how to use computers, and how computers function. It covers topics such as how data is represented in a computer, how computers can be used to do things, how information is transmitted over networks, how a computer works on hardware and software level, etc.

The course is meant to educate non-tech savvy students, on how to use a computer effectively. Because of this, other non Computer Science students can take this course, and it may be boring to a Computer Science student. However, if you do not know that much of how a computer actually works, or you want to make sure you know, I would take this course if you can. Before beginning this course I did know a good deal of how computers work, but I was able to learn even more about computers, and this has helped me a lot.

Now this term the course did not have any midterms. Instead it had weekly quizzes, assignments and one exam. This may be a bad thing if you prefer having a final exam that is work a little bit less. The assignments focus on how to use software such spreadsheets and databases.

Overall, if you want to more about computers, I would take this course.

---------------------------------------------------

I have enjoyed my first year at McMaster in Computer Science, and learned, what I think, will be very useful in to me in my studies. I will be continuing my Computer Science studies at McMaster, so if you have not already applied to universities, and are going to do so for next year, I will provide my insight of second year Computer Science next year.

Course selection for upper year students I believe starts soon, and I think first year students have to select their by July sometime. So if you have chosen McMaster as the university you want to go for Computer Science, I would encourage you to take all four first year Computer Science courses.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Smile

P.S.

changturkey @ Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:35 am wrote:

I haven't gone through the co-op sequence that much other than completing the required course. I can't give you too much information on that topic.

Sorry of the really late response, but it seems I did not see this question around the time you posted it.

thanks alot sir, great info you gave, can i ask few more questions if you don't mind ?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Superskull85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:31 am   Post subject: RE:Computer Science and McMaster University

Sure. Ask any question you like. Smile
hammad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:14 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer Science and McMaster University

Superskull85 @ Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:31 am wrote:
Sure. Ask any question you like. Smile

thanks bro Smile

actually i am in a dilemma , I got acceptance into Mac computer science [coop] for this year but on the other side I also got acceptance into

Chem engineering at ryerson [with coop]

computer engineering at guelph and york

electrical engineering at ryerson

And Computing at Queens.

So I just wanted to know which is the best course and option for me. pay wise, Job market wise and all that. Which degree has most value, Like if I have to choose between Chem engineering or computer engineering and Computer science [coop] which according to you is the best option. Hope I am not taking your time , thanks for help once again
Superskull85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science and McMaster University

I'm not the person you should be asking concerning this questions. I never did any research on any other topic expect for Computer Science when I applied for university. I knew what I wanted to do for a career, so I applied to that only.

Maybe if you make a new topic you might be able to get your questions answered. However, a coop option will allow you to gain real life experience (and money) during summer breaks (or if you choose an interim, during half years or a full year). Smile
napwressyrisp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:04 pm   Post subject: Computer Science and McMaster University

Hi, Just wondering if there will be any Bachelor/Master Degrees of Information Technology or Computer Science available at Ashworth in near future?
napwressyrisp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm   Post subject: Computer Science and McMaster University

I have the latest FF, can I just drop the OOS logger into my python folder and expect it to work?
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: