Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University of waterloo
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
A.J

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:02 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

Thanks guys.

Also, since I got an early acceptance, they said that I will be getting a package with scholarship details, etc... on it. Any idea when that'll show up? Also, all I have to do now is fill up the AIF form (since I already got accepted, I am exempt from the application process) Very Happy.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
520antares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:18 pm   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

I got early acceptance too but I didn't write Euclid last year. My AIF was awesome though.

I have exactly zero experience with computer science related stuff but I am decently intelligent and used to taking on unreasonably large challenges (i'm an IB diploma student obviously). Is CS115 just way too dumbed down or is it an actual thorough introduction?
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:30 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

The main difference between the BMath(CS) and the BCS is that the BMath(CS) nails down a couple of math-related CS courses (those can be other CS courses in the BCS) and four Math courses (those can be free-choice in the BCS).

You don't have to decide between them until you graduate. It's not worth worrying about early on.

CS 115 is not "dumbed down". It is based on CS 135, but it doesn't try to prepare students for upper-year CS courses. It's also taken by non-Math students, so it doesn't assume knowledge from Math 135/137.
bbi5291

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:03 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:University of waterloo

A.J @ Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:00 am wrote:
I got early acceptance to the honors math and honors CS program about a week ago.

I was wondering whether I should Major Math and Minor in CS or vice versa (although I am leaning towards the latter).
Just curious - I recall Hanson getting early acceptance to UW last year. Are all members of Canada's IOI team supposed to receive this? Should I be expecting an email from UW, or should I just go ahead and apply now?
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:09 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

I think people with high averages in grade 11 get early acceptance. I never got the CCC certificate, but I got a certificate for most of the math contests. My average in grade 11 was in the low-mid 90s, and I got my acceptance around this time of year.

@AJ, what happened to MIT?
bbi5291

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:11 pm   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

In grade 11, I had a 94.9 term 1 and 96.3 term 2... is that good enough? I could just go ahead and apply, but I'm trying to avoid paying the $115 (my American university applications cost enough already...)
Alexmula

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:21 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

i got early acceptance with my 89% average so 95% should be good enough Very Happy

and isnt the final deadline to apply to universities on january? I remember doing mine before the xmas break
bbi5291

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:36 pm   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

All right, I shouldn't have used the words "early acceptance"; what I really meant was what A.J. got, admission offered without even having to submit an application through OUAC.

Come to think of it, I guess Prabhakar Ragde would be in the best position to answer this question...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mono-1-rulz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:50 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

wait....acceptance without applying? how does that work :S
bbi5291

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:50 am   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

I can't say I know how it works, but it's what A.J got: they send you an email telling you that you've been accepted, just as though you had actually applied. The idea is that they are so convinced of your merit already that they don't even need you to submit your application.

(On a tangent: A friend of mine applied to UW and was rejected. After he was invited to stage 2 later in the year, UW reconsidered their decision and admitted him. This suggests that, whatever your other merits or lack thereof, performing sufficiently well on the CCC is enough to get you in.)
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:49 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

I think what AJ meant was that he got accepted without completing the AIF. You can't get accepted with out applying. That doesn't even make sense.
bbi5291

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:37 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:University of waterloo

A.J @ Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:02 pm wrote:
Also, all I have to do now is fill up the AIF form (since I already got accepted, I am exempt from the application process) Very Happy.
No, apparently it's the opposite: he doesn't have to apply, but he still has to fill in the AIF.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:13 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

I'm not in the inner loop on admissions; I'm in the outer loop (I hear about targets and I hear postmortems). I didn't know they made unsolicited offers, and I don't know on what basis they do that.
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

Well, apparently UW called some of my high school teachers to find out more about me...my physics teacher told me about such a call recently. My average wasn't too high last year. However, I did complete 5 grade 12 courses in my grade 11 year (3 maths, 1 CS, and 1 French, everything except for CS were AP courses). The average of my top 6 courses is currently ~95%.

@CodeMonkey2000- I don't even think that there's even a 10^-100% change that I'll make it to MIT (as my SAT marks aren't even close to the expected Ivy league level). However, I am still giving it a go (as my interviewer thinks that I should make it)...

Whatever, I guess I can always go to the states for post graduate studies....UW is good enough I hear.
bbi5291

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:56 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:University of waterloo

A.J @ Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:09 pm wrote:
@CodeMonkey2000- I don't even think that there's even a 10^-100% change that I'll make it to MIT (as my SAT marks aren't even close to the expected Ivy league level). However, I am still giving it a go (as my interviewer thinks that I should make it)...
People have gotten into MIT with a 1850, so don't worry. I agree with your interviewer, you are pretty likely to get in. But if you don't, at least you'll be in great company (as my English teacher said to me).
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 6 of 7  [ 91 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: