Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University of waterloo
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
cyberguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:04 pm   Post subject: University of waterloo

an anyone inform me abt the courses and type of jobs one could get if they pursue compsci at uwaterloo?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jernst

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:14 pm   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

try this page: http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/prospect/

it seems to have alot of the information you may be looking for
jernst

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:16 pm   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

here are courses (which can be found by clicking through a few of the links on the previous link above)

http://ugradcalendar.uwaterloo.ca/?pageID=655
x30Jx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:36 am   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

I thought you could take CS 145 instead of 135 and 136. Yet that doc you linked to sez:
Quote:

One of

CS 115 Introduction to Computer Science 1
CS 135 Designing Functional Programs
A 300- or 400-level CS major course in addition to those required below

One of

CS 136 Elementary Algorithm Design and Data Abstraction
CS 145 Design, Abstraction, and Implementation

Like, not as an option. What does this mean?
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:22 am   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

This means that you can take CS 145 and CS 300+ to fullfill that requirement.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
jernst

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:22 am   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

I'm not sure on the specifics, I was just linking to some UW pages that I found easily...that question is probably better for someone who knows the university / program better. (I am not actually a UW student myself)
dcvg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:01 pm   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

List of courses: http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/current/courses/course_descriptions/ You don't take all of them though. Look under checklist & sequences to see which ones are required
x30Jx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:21 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:University of waterloo

Tony @ Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:22 am wrote:
This means that you can take CS 145 and CS 300+ to fullfill that requirement.

*phew* Thanks, Tony. I think I am just going to do the CS 145, but I dont have to take the 300+ course until 3A or 3B, right? (co-op)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:13 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

FYI admission to CS 145 is by instructor consent and is limited to top students. Also you can't take it if you're in SoftEng or CompEng.
bbi5291

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:12 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:University of waterloo

Prabhakar Ragde @ Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:13 pm wrote:
FYI admission to CS 145 is by instructor consent and is limited to top students. Also you can't take it if you're in SoftEng or CompEng.

Just out of curiosity, what are the criteria for "top students"? High English marks? *rolls eyes*
dcvg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:41 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:University of waterloo

bbi5291 @ Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:12 pm wrote:

Just out of curiosity, what are the criteria for "top students"? High English marks? *rolls eyes*

I've heard that a Euclid score of 80 automatically qualifies you for courses like CS145 & MATH 147
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:48 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

Well, I am in high school and I want to take CS 145 and Math 147 this winter term (I don't know if it is offered then). I have completed all the Math and CS courses offered by my school have passed with an overall average of 98%+ every year. Is it possible for me to take these courses?
dcvg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:29 am   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

^^ http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs145/prospective.shtml I looked up on quest and CS145 & MATH 147 are not showing up for the winter term so they are probably not being offered in the winter unless they are going to be added at the last moment
A.J

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:44 pm   Post subject: RE:University of waterloo

Thanks dcvg.

Just to clarify, my math and CS courses were 98+, not my overall average...that would just be inhuman...
bbi5291

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:10 pm   Post subject: Re: University of waterloo

dcvg @ Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:29 am wrote:
^^ http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~cs145/prospective.shtml I looked up on quest and CS145 & MATH 147 are not showing up for the winter term so they are probably not being offered in the winter unless they are going to be added at the last moment

I read that page and I almost find it a bit disturbing...
Quote:
Programming contests are, paradoxically, even further from being good predictors of performance

Uh-oh... kill me now...

Quote:
Excellent marks in ALL high school courses. Weaknesses in communication or an inability to appreciate subjects besides math and CS should be considered warning signs that CS 145 may not be appropriate. Students taking this course should have an open mind and should value diversity.

Yep - looks like I was right about the English marks...

Quote:
Being female. If you're female and you're reading this page, chances are that CS 145 is right for you. Women tend to underestimate their abilities and turn down opportunities like this when they shouldn't. In past offerings of CS 135, women (both CS majors and non-CS majors) have been among the top students in the class. (Conversely, men tend to overestimate their abilities and believe they're entitled to such opportunities. If you're a male reading this page, think carefully about this.)

Who on earth wrote this anyway?
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 7  [ 91 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: