Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dwite 2009-2010
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bbi5291

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:54 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

I've gotten the OK from Jacob, so we can proceed with this.

Although I do not intend to include Turing as a long-term "feature" of the Judge, I would be fine with allowing it just this once. (The purpose of hosting this on our Judge is to test how much the internet connection can handle.)

However, the server is Linux, so you would have to tell me how to get Turing working. I downloaded the zip file from the Holt website, but I can't figure out how to run it as a command-line compiler. Dan and Tony - maybe you can help?

Even if Turing can't be made to work, we do have C/C++, Pascal, assembly, Haskell, Ruby, Python, PHP, and (*groan*) Java.

Also, A.J., you can't start telling me to hurry up, since you haven't produced problem statements and test data yet Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2009-2010

Actually, I have made up about 50 problem statements (without test data, unfortunately) that are ready to go. In fact, I made 5 separate mock DWITE questions especially for this occasion.

And I am sorry if I seemed rude or blunt, Brian. It doesn't have to be rushed at all, as long as it takes place sometime during the next 2 - 3 weeks.

Note: As I made these questions, I obviously won't be competing in this mock DWITE. I am not sure if Brian will be taking a look at these problems before putting them on PEG or not.
bbi5291

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:55 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

The Wink was supposed to signify that I wasn't offended. I am a pretty easy-going person, I should have managed to make that clear by now Wink

Anyway, I thought by "soon" you meant within the week. We are actually up and ready to go; you just need to supply the problem statements (with the test data, of course.)

All those interested in participating: You can now register an account at http://pegjudge.ath.cx:5050/main/register_for_dwite . Detailed instructions on how to participate will be posted here (in this thread) shortly before the contest begins.

Remember: If people want to use Turing, somebody's going to have to tell me how to get it working on the Linux command-line. (I should point out that I am neither willing nor immediately able to give Turing users a different time limit than, say, C++ users, so don't even ask.)

I will really have no choice but to look at the problem statements, since I'm going to have to put them up, but that's OK, since I'm reasonably confident in my ability to perform in DWITE anyway Very Happy

Also A.J., the Judge has built-in support for viewing analyses (like USACO); so if you have those, feel free to send them to me as well.

Are there any (mainstream, i.e., not Turing) languages you guys would like to see added that aren't mentioned in the post above?

Note: The contest is individual only. However, it is possible to participate as a team - all team members share one account. The limits of one computer per team and max four members per team will not be enforced, since it's impossible to enforce them anyway unless a contest is onsite. If you wish to participate as a team, you should put the names of all the team members in the "Name" field in the registration page.
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

Thanks Brian. I'll give you the questions in the next 2 days (as I am relatively busy). I'll also add an analysis for each problem (so feel free o change anything you think isn't good).

I believe I am relatively confident in myself as well for the DWITE (this should be a big surprise to most of you who know of my 'emo' nature), so it should be OK with me too.

Thanks a lot Brian, and if you can, try asking Dan/Tony if they could post information about this mock DWITE on dwite.org.
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

Thanks Brian. I'll give you the questions in the next 2 days (as I am relatively busy). I'll also add an analysis for each problem (so feel free to change anything you think isn't good enough).

I believe I am relatively confident in myself as well for the DWITE (this should be a big surprise to you guys, Brian and other friends of mine...i.e who know of my 'emo' nature), so it should be OK with me too.

Thanks a lot Brian, and if you can, try asking Dan/Tony if they could post information about this mock DWITE on dwite.org.
bbi5291

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

Double post! (You have reached 666 posts lol)

Edit: I was wrong - Hanson got kbps and kBps confused. We have roughly 500 kbps. Since that is about half of what DWITE has, it should be quite acceptable. I will let Dan and Tony know.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:37 am   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2009-2010

I am not sure how you could get your judge to work with turing.

The modern versions of turing are windows only, can't be run from the command line and don't output to std out or input from std in.

You could try running it threw wine or somthing like that but it could lead to issues.

To make the judge run turing programs we have a (windows only) program that manualy opens the file inturing, clicks the run button, waits and then closes turing and any turing process. I am frialy sure it would not work threw wine.

I will ask tony about putting a notice on dwite.org about your contest.

Also i am not sure what you mean by 500kbps and DWITE having half of that. DWITE uses the compsci.ca server (on a 10mbps backbone) for the front end and a server at my house running a VM for the judge (on a 15mbps home line). We are also working on setting up a 2nd server for the front end to load blance things a bit.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
bbi5291

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:47 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

bbi5291 @ Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:45 pm wrote:
We have roughly 500 kbps. Since that is about half of what DWITE has, it should be quite acceptable. I will let Dan and Tony know.

I didn't say that DWITE has half the upload speed of the PEG Judge - I said that the PEG Judge has half the upload speed of DWITE. The DWITE website reads:

http://dwite.org/judge wrote:

Real Machine
OS Windows Vista
CPU Intel 64 bit quad core 2.88ghz (i686)
RAM 4GB
Hard Disk
UPS ~1 hour back up power
Connection 10Mbps Down, 1Mbps Up

500 kbps, the upload speed of the PEG Judge, is half of 1 Mbps, the upload speed stated on that page for DWITE. If the 1 Mbps figure is no longer correct, you might want to update it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:22 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

bbi5291 @ 16th September 2009, 2:47 pm wrote:

500 kbps, the upload speed of the PEG Judge, is half of 1 Mbps, the upload speed stated on that page for DWITE. If the 1 Mbps figure is no longer correct, you might want to update it.

That is the bandwith the judge has to upload to the main server, the judge only uploads scores (and it should be 15Mbps down, 1Mbps up). DWITE users don't connect directly to it and the judge does not upload programs to the server so using it as an estment of bandwith a server would need is a poor mesure. The front end has 10Mbps up/down on a backbone line and is not what this page is talking about.

The bigest issue we have run into is more the cpu time and harddrive readtime on the front end then bandwith.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
bbi5291

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

The contest is scheduled for Saturday, September 26th at 3:15 PM - 6:15 PM Eastern Time (currently GMT - 4:00 due to DST). Registrations will be accepted up to the end of the contest (although you'd have to be a fool to wait until then, of course).

I just want to emphasize that we have no idea how the contest might turn out - it is possible, for example, that it will be a complete flop if, say, everybody viewing the site all at once is way too much for our connection to handle, and as a result nobody is able to view the problem statements, or something like that. This mock DWITE is strictly experimental.
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:35 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

bbi5291 wrote:

The contest is scheduled for Saturday, September 26th at 315 PM - 615 PM Eastern Time (currently GMT - 400 due to DST). Registrations will be accepted up to the end of the contest (although you'd have to be a fool to wait until then, of course).

I just want to emphasize that we have no idea how the contest might turn out - it is possible, for example, that it will be a complete flop if, say, everybody viewing the site all at once is way too much for our connection to handle, and as a result nobody is able to view the problem statements, or something like that. This mock DWITE is strictly experimental.

Yes, and in addition to that, I would like to add that the questions will be as 'DWITE' as possible, though some people might say otherwise. I hope people find this helpful (and make sure you guys give Brian a lot of bits for this Very Happy)
bbi5291

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

A.J @ Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:35 pm wrote:
bbi5291 wrote:

The contest is scheduled for Saturday, September 26th at 315 PM - 615 PM Eastern Time (currently GMT - 400 due to DST). Registrations will be accepted up to the end of the contest (although you'd have to be a fool to wait until then, of course).

Yes, and in addition to that, I would like to add that the questions will be as 'DWITE' as possible, though some people might say otherwise. I hope people find this helpful (and make sure you guys give Brian a lot of bits for this Very Happy)

Not yet. As I said, there is a possibility of complete failure if our bandwidth is completely overrun, so in this case I wouldn't really deserve any bits. But feel free to donate after the contest if it turns out to work! (Also, you can start donating bits to A.J. now, since if our Judge fails he's still going to [I think] post the problems on this forum and mark them manually.)
A.J

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:12 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2009-2010

Yes, you bet I am going to mark them manually =D.

I believe that people will really enjoy these questions (I tried making them entertaining to some extent).
bbi5291

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Dwite 2009-2010

Instructions
If you have not yet registered, do so now.
Log in and on the horizontal black bar you will see "contests". Click that link.
Before the contest begins, it will say "Upcoming Contests: Mock DWITE by A.J. - Sep 26, 2009, 3:15pm". When the contest begins, refresh this page and select the contest from the drop-down box. (It should be the topmost choice.)
When inside the contest, click on "problems" on the horizontal black bar to browse the problems. Five problems will be listed; click on the hyperlinked entries under Problem Name in order to read the problem statements.
Usual DWITE scoring rules apply, and there will be five lines of output for each problem. However, whereas in real DWITE you read from a file named DATAx.txt and output to a file named OUTx.txt, in this contest you will read from standard input and write to standard output.
Once you have written your code, click on the "Submit" link on the right side of the problem description page. Paste your code in the box or upload it from your computer, select your language from the drop-down box, and click Submit. Your program will then be run and your score out of 5 for that problem displayed.
Click "submissions" on the horizontal black bar to see all submissions, whether by you or anyone else, and their respective statuses. You will be able to see the code for your own submissions during the contest, but you will not be able to see anyone else's code until after the contest has concluded. You can also see your submissions in particular by clicking on My Submissions on the right hand side. On a problem description page, the links All Submissions and My Submissions do the same thing, except that they show submissions only for that problem. Best Solutions shows a list of all users who have successfully solved the problem.
Click "users" on the horizontal black bar to see the current ranklist.

It is a good idea to login and enter one of our past contests before you do the actual contest, just to make sure you know what you're doing, because during the actual contest you will get only two submissions. Make sure you understand how to input/output and any peculiarities of your language. Also, please read http://pegjudge.ath.cx:5050/main/help, which contains a lot of useful information.

Our judge marks only one submission at a time. Since your program is allowed to run for 60 seconds, your submissions will probably not get marked immediately, and instead it will probably say "Waiting for other submissions to finish..." Feel free to close the window or tab; this will not affect the grading of your solution. If you look at your submission under My Submissions or All Submissions, you will see an animated graphic indicating that the solution has not finished being marked yet; when it has finished being marked, the score will be displayed there.
saltpro15

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Dwite 2009-2010

well we failed the first round Sad Was I the only one who had a hell of a time with rounding errors on Q1? Also congratz to Brian Bi for winning this round, and a big thanks to Dan and Tony for putting on DWITE
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 54 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: