Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer science tuition at Waterloo
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:29 am   Post subject: Computer science tuition at Waterloo

The tuition cost per term for first-year computer science co-op at Waterloo (2008-9): $ 4047
The tuition cost per term for first-year Mathematics co-op at Waterloo (2008-9): $ 2408
The difference is $ 1639 per term and therefore $1639*2= $3278 for the first year

Now the strange part is that first-year computer science students take the EXACT same courses as first-year mathematics students. Why is there a large difference in the tuition we pay in the first year?

Note: Mathematics could include Applied mathematics, Acturial science, C and O, pure math and financial math (all of which declare their majors in the second year)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Brightguy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:51 am   Post subject: Re: Computer science tuition at Waterloo

CS is a deregulated program, so basically Waterloo can charge what it wants. This also happens in CompMath. I asked the CM advisor about this he said it was just politics.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:57 am   Post subject: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

Politics it is. CS tuition was deregulated and made differentially high at the height of the dot-com boom, and the administration is reluctant to give up the cash cow even though demand has gone way down and it arguably acts as a deterrent for these programs. The School of CS has no say in the matter.
octopi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 am   Post subject: Re: Computer science tuition at Waterloo

What's to stop someone from registering in Math first year, and then transferring over second year?
If you keep your marks sufficiently high, I can't foresee any problems (but I'm also not a Waterloo student, so they may have different policies regarding changing majors)
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:40 am   Post subject: Re: Computer science tuition at Waterloo

octopi @ Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 am wrote:
What's to stop someone from registering in Math first year, and then transferring over second year?

The odd chance that the transfer doesn't go smoothly. It took me 2 years to change my majors, but it was from a different faculty and I wasn't in the best academic (although in non-marks matter) standing.

Doing first year Math, one is already in the right faculty and taking all the right courses. If one is confident in their marks and doesn't mind some extra administrative hassle, there's $3K to be saved.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:57 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

Prabhakar Ragde @ Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:57 am wrote:
CS tuition was deregulated and made differentially high at the height of the dot-com boom

Why did this happen?
endless

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

monkey @ Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:57 pm wrote:
CS tuition was deregulated and made differentially high at the height of the dot-com boom

Why did this happen?

supply and demand?
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:27 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

endless @ Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 pm wrote:
monkey @ Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:57 pm wrote:

Why did this happen?

supply and demand?

Yea I guess. It's a shame it doesn't work both ways i.e. when the dot com bubble burst, they didn't lower tuition Sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

They would lower it only if the demand was to fall below the capacity. As long as Waterloo fills all their CS seats, there's no incentive to drop the prices.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
monkey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:10 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

Tony @ Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:50 pm wrote:
They would lower it only if the demand was to fall below the capacity. As long as Waterloo fills all their CS seats, there's no incentive to drop the prices.

Right, that makes sense.
I should take an economics course so I don't seem like such an idiot when talking about these things. lol
randint

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer science tuition at Waterloo

Thread revival:

Oh wow, that was 15 years ago? That is partially why I am not in CS Smile
crossley7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

5 years, not 15. And yeah it is nasty. Something I wasn't 100% aware when I entered. Though I doubt I would have gone the other way anyway with the risk of losing co-op or something along those lines.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:49 am   Post subject: Re: Computer science tuition at Waterloo

Well since we are updating the thread anyway...
monkey @ Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:29 am wrote:
The tuition cost per term for first-year computer science co-op at Waterloo (2008-9): $ 4047

The co-op fees seem to be on a separate schedule, but a 2012-13 equivalent seems to be along the lines of $5620. Slightly cheaper than Engineering, way more than any other program.
Nathan4102

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:51 am   Post subject: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

Do you pay $5620 per term of classes only? Or are your co-op terms included in this?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:49 am   Post subject: RE:Computer science tuition at Waterloo

You pay tuition only in terms where you attend classes (ie not co-op terms). However, co-op students pay a hefty fee with their tuition to fund the co-op program (about $1000/term, included in the $5620 amount above).
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: