Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 elevator to space
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm not sure whether or not this is possible (and frankly, i don't care enough to research it Wink) but i must agree it would be pretty damn cool to see something just rising up into space.

... or not. for some reason i can't imagine it as an elevator. i can only imagine it as a huge dark tower, like minas morgul. **cue the nazgul**
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well it will be a huge black tower build out of carbon just raising up into the skies.

as for the elevator part... so called "crawlers" will climb up that tube, so it's not a traditional elevator - its more of a cable into the skies to climb up
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

this has got to be one of the dumest things i have ever hured of, and i have hured alot of realy dum stuff form the peoleop at my old school.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Catalyst

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i like the idea Very Happy
people have been throwing ideas around like this for a while
its nice to see a group trying to achieve this goal realistically
even so, this will probably never happen anytime soon
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

not that it's impossible.

so let's hope they do it. and i mean it.

it would be one of those unrealistic ideas that actually took off.

i mean specially if the cost of sending things to space through the elevator is less than that of sending it through a rocket!

and not only that.. we could probably get tours. Also, maybe later in the future, we could have like a bespin city up there cool eh?
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it's not posable!!!!!!

the gravtion forces alone whould mess it. not to mention that it if there was any conduive meateral on it at all it whould chage the polarity of the earth and kill us all.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well one guy did it by just standing in a hot air balloon!

i'm not sure how he got back, but one thing is for sure.. he was pretty much charcoaled when he returned!

NOTE: i'm hoping the bespin city idea takes off some time in the near future.. i wanna see such a thing before i die. Laughing
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: