Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Time Travel
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Is time travel possible to some extent at least?
(No ending time set)
I think so.
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
I doubt it.
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

PaddyLong

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

isn't the daylight savings time stuff balanced out when we set our clocks forward an hour in the spring or summer or whenever it is?

as for parallel universes... there's theories of some such as one that's like a spirit (soul) plane where the souls are and then when you are born or die or whatever your soul crosses over... I could be totally wrong about how this one goes but that's my understanding of it. it might explain concepts of reincarnation and other paranormal phenomenons.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Time travel is indeed possible, as proven by Einstein and Hawking. When you think of travel, you have to think of it as actual travel instead of just 'teleportation' as most people do. Just like travelling anywhere, such as driving somewhere, you have to move, in that case through the x-y-z plane. In the case of time travel, that which you have to travel through is time. This means that to travel in time an arbetrary amount, you would have to pass through every point in time between your starting time and destination time.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 9:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Darkness wrote:
have to pass through every point in time between your starting time and destination time.

that is, assuming that time dimention consists of a single value.

What I mean is... to move from point (0,0) to (2,0) you dont nessesary have to pass through (1,0). Instead you can go around to (1,1) then to (2,0).

Similary, if time could be graffed on a plane, you can go "around". Thats where all those warm-holes come in.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:

that is, assuming that time dimention consists of a single value.

What I mean is... to move from point (0,0) to (2,0) you dont nessesary have to pass through (1,0). Instead you can go around to (1,1) then to (2,0).

Similary, if time could be graffed on a plane, you can go "around". Thats where all those warm-holes come in.

but to go to 0, 0 to 1, 0 or 1, 0 to 2, 0 you would still need to pass through all the points in between
nis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Time Travel is Impossible!

If there were time travel. At every point alnog the timeline. We would be as advanced as possible. Because someone would go back intime and teach the humans living there at the time all the technology of the future which would then make the future that went back in the first place be more advanced so that they could go back and teach the past that advanced technology and so on. But then someone could say there would be rules. And to that i say as technology becoems more advanced it becomes more accesable. SO therefore in the future even if there were laws set up. Some one would break them (Because they would have all of time to find a way how) And send a little tiny peice of technology that will start a loop and eventually, by witch i mean instantly because time has no meaning now. and do what i said in the begginging. Are we as addvanced as we will be in 1 million years? Well thats up to you to decide. If your answer is no then i am right TIME TRAVEL IS IMPOSSIBLE
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

yea but time travell can also mean going forward in time
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i dont think traveling back in time is possible, since we cant travel faster than the speed of light no matter which frame of reference we choose. the formula is something like 1V2=(v2+v1)/(1-((v1v2)/c^2)) so as nothing can go faster than the speed of light.
Rudiger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it is possible to travel in time but you cant go back in time that is impossible. But you can go in the future but it works like this...

you need a starship (like voyger (yeah i like startrek Embarassed )) ok you go into the ship and you go very fast and i mean fast like light speed.
it is proven that time slows down when you go fast....(that is waht my sceice teacher says)so the time slows down and you grow slowly and so you slow done time to a point that the world changes. There time goes faster and you go slower so you go in the future. That is one you can time travel.

There is one more one you take a shotgun blow your face of. You use your spirit to go to back in time and take a a person body. i say you should take a kings or princes or empores body. but that is my idea.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ummm since when did people prove this?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

because gravity affect time. I think someone did that experiment with super acurate nuclear clocks where one was taken into a cave while other remained on the surface... cave - being deeper and thus closer to the gravity source made that clock's time fall behind by a really small ammount... or something...

ether way - time moves slower when you're near a gravity source, such as black hole Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

another test was done in orbit of earth, they had a extreamly acrite clock on the space shotle and the nucler one on eather and they found that the one on the space shotle was father ahead then the one on erath. i think is was due to them going faster then the nucler one on earth.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm wondering how this change in time affects out perseption in time. Such as... if we were put in a conditions away from gravity sources, such as that time on the clock moves significantly faster... would we be able to tell that it is moving faster (or slower in other conditions) or not?

What does time really affect? Just moving objects or neuron (spelling?)/nerve signals in human body as well? Thinking
Rudiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok time is relative to you. So if you arnt doing nothin time moves slower. But if you are doing somehitng( say playing a game, i prefer counter strike) time speeds up and it looks like it past a half hour, but reallly a hour past money.
so theres anther type of time travel
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 9:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

haha - well I suppose one can fill himself with mind altering drugs. That gotta screw up time perseption Laughing
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 6:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

time is a scaler, it has no directions... and wtf u talking about? time is not relative! it only seems shorter cuz ur not bored
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 6  [ 78 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: