Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Time Travel
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Is time travel possible to some extent at least?
(No ending time set)
I think so.
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
I doubt it.
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 24

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

in my option it is very posable to go fowared in time (just hope in a space ship and go faster then the earth, you dont have to go faster then light just faster then the object that your time is relivtve to)

going back in time whould be harder, you whould probly need a wrom hole of some kind or go the speed of light may make you go back in time a bit.

acuarding to what i have read that at the speed of ligth it could be posable to be both where you are going, going there and leaving at the same time so that is probly why you cant go faster then light since you whould be there allready and have not where to go, to go faster Shocked

any way if you could go back in time it whould be a very bad idea, you could reay screw stuff up and may be even distory the univers if you mess up big engoth.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

light limits us all. when we seek for the present we instead see the past. there's no point predicting the future.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think that time travel is possible both ways, although I can't comprehend how, I just don't see why it would be a limitation.

As far as logistics of it goes, or philosophy for that matter, I think that there would be a lot of unexpected things happening. I think that just by existing you could change the future, even if you had no intent of doing so. Just by existing you could put a ripple in time.

Killing your parents? That would be interesting, because as soon as you killed them you wouldn't exist so you wouldn't be able to kill them, and then they wouldn't be dead so you would be alive again to kill them. A paradox, congratulations you have just ended the universe. Or something more interesting.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:20 am   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe.. what? Laughing
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

does a flap of butterfly wings in Brazil, cause a tornado in Florida? maybe? Confused This is called a butterfly effect where such a minor factor grows into something bigger just by existing.

As for killing your parents... Two things can happen. You'd ether end the universe (throw it in a never ending loop, unless some random factor (can there be a random factor? anything? some butterfly maybe?) that would prevent you from doing that at a sertain try)

or you stay alive... That would just mean that a) death of those people does not stop you from being born (you were adopted?) though it might change your personality if you were rased by them. Or if nothing at all changes to you - that would mean that you're in a parallel universe that is on the whole different timeline all together, and things done here, does not cause change back home.

Another interesting thing to wonder about - if sometime in future, we would invent a time machine, would we not travel back to now? I'm sure someone would have noticed.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

parellel universe is an interesting theory. i've not thought of that.. so...

4) creating a bubble around you, in which space-time in that bubble is a fork of a the current universe but runs parallel to it. Based on this. Let's see.. you can never get in contact with the main universe (if we could then we should be able to do the same now). thuse you'll never notice a change. time travelling in that universe will simply fork a new universe! ok.. whats the point?
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

point is... you time travel to a parallel universe and stip them of all their natural resources, then come back! Vertually unlimited mining of anything you need Laughing

On another note - time travel on a smaller scale is already available today, and we all experience it twice a year Wink

Confused? Dont be! Think "daylight saving program" Laughing One hour into the past to catch up on sleep Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony, since its a fork of the current universe.. it runs parallel to it.. your not really affecting the "actual" universe, but only the one ur in.

LOL on the daylight savings.. true.. but time is time.. it moves forward no matter what you may say.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you see about moving faster than the speed of light.. that kind of time travel is just an illusion. it's like moving faster than the speed of sound. you see what i mean? you hear something of the past just because you moved faster than it, but the time the sound was sounded is still the same. you haven't really gone into the future. but you heard something that took longer to reach you.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

About daylight saving's time...when the government proposed the idea, a bunch of farmers got angry and said that the extra hour of sunlight would burn their crops.
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so if were looking into the past because of light... then when u look at the sky and u see the sun in it's position it's not really there it was there 8 minuts ago =S
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Homer_simpson wrote:
it was there 8 minuts ago =S

well technically no... since it's the Earth that rotates around the sun, not the other way around... so Sun is stationary.

what? you didnt know that? plz don't burn me Laughing
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ehm.. but wouldn't he be correct from his frame of reference!?!!!?!!
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:34 am   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
his frame of reference

it's all about frame of reference Rolling Eyes What if I'll pick a frame of reference that is accelerating through time? That would really mess up how everything would appear Laughing
Homer_simpson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Doh!!!! Drunk
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 6  [ 78 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: