Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ecoo 2009
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
bbi5291

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Ecoo 2009

@Analysis Mode: You should show more support to somebody else who goes to the same school as you Razz But seriously I can never tell if you're joking when you say my ego is too big. Did you prefer the crying, depressed Brian who complained about how nobody wanted to be his friend, or the bitter Brian, still with zero self-esteem, who complained about how everybody was biased against him, including teachers, because of lack of physical attractiveness?

If my ego is an infinitely sized container, the liquid inside must have a volume of a higher cardinality? Hmm... what a possibility.

@Cyril: I can tease you the same way that Analysis Mode teases me. It doesn't mean I have a big ego, but I will be disappointed if Woburn doesn't come first and second.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:29 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2009

I tried to solve corriep's cube for most of our 3 hour drive to regionals and still failed Sad He then proceeded to solve it in ~2 minutes. bastard. XD

edit : woo! approaching worst karma on the site Very Happy keep the hate coming people
Cyril

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2009

Oh no, I meant that it wasn't egotistic to say what you said, because we all know it's true. I am not a sensitive person >_>
bbi5291

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Ecoo 2009

ahh I see Smile
Anyway, when you first appeared on this site I remember you said something about being 3rd in Canada in Project Euler - now that's pretty intimidating. I was never 3rd in Canada at anything. Math is harder than computer science, in the sense that a lot more people do it (there is an "olympiad hierarchy" for example : IMO >> IPhO > IOI > IChO > IBO > IAO, IPO, ILO, etc.) And as for stalking, well I do that all the time, so I am not altogether surprised...
Cyril

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2009

I always thought it was IMO >> IPhO > IChO > IBO > IOI > the rest, and that we computer scientists are n00bs in a relative sense...

You should consider joining Project Euler- it has some pretty interesting programming exercises. It's not very good contest preparation, since some of the problems rely on IOI-inaccessible math, but it definitely widens your scope. If the IOI happens to have a "how many ways can you tile an m by n board with triominoes" problem, there's your competitive edge, I guess.

Maybe not 3rd in Canada, but evidently you were 1st in Canada for Stage 1. And, of course, you'll shine to the same degree in a few days...
corriep

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:17 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ecoo 2009

Cyril @ Sat May 02, 2009 7:24 pm wrote:
I'm not a particularly good cuber, just an overeager one: 3x3 = 0:24 (average much worse), 5x5 = 2:47, 7x7 = 9:25, even cubes = incomprehensibly bad. You should bring your cube(s?) to ECOO, and we can hold a nerd-competition inside a nerd-competition. (to anyone else reading this: bring your cubes as well)
Yes, this will be the biggest nerd-gathering Ontario has ever seen; math and science discussions, chess matches, rubik's cubbing, and me in the corner juggling (maybe even some comp. sci)Razz
bbi5291

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:53 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ecoo 2009

The IBO is a bit of a joke, an eidetic memory would essentially suffice to get you on the IBO team. (The IAO though... is far below even that, from what I can see.)
In terms of difficulty of qualification, in this country IOI > IChO for sure. If you master a first-year inorganic textbook, a first-year organic textbook, and can perform grade 12 level lab procedures with a reasonable degree of proficiency, you can make it to the IChO. (Last year the national chemistry olympiad finals conflicted with the CCC so I did not attend.) And the only chemistry contests I have heard of other than the olympiad-related ones are the Avogadro/Chem 13 sponsored by Waterloo, which are ludicrously easy, and the CIC essay contest - if you are smart, then it is much easier to become good at CS than it is to become good at chemistry. As for the IOI/IChO themselves, I can probably only solve one or two tasks fully in each IOI, but at least 75% of the sample IChO tasks seem easy.

corriep @ Sat May 02, 2009 8:17 pm wrote:
Cyril @ Sat May 02, 2009 7:24 pm wrote:
I'm not a particularly good cuber, just an overeager one: 3x3 = 0:24 (average much worse), 5x5 = 2:47, 7x7 = 9:25, even cubes = incomprehensibly bad. You should bring your cube(s?) to ECOO, and we can hold a nerd-competition inside a nerd-competition. (to anyone else reading this: bring your cubes as well)
Yes, this will be the biggest nerd-gathering Ontario has ever seen; math and science discussions, chess matches, rubik's cubbing, and me in the corner juggling (maybe even some comp. sci)Razz

Last year we played Brawl, ping pong, Slime, pool, and Ultimate Frisbee. Not quite as stereotypically nerdy as you imagined.
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:58 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2009

corriep has a wonderful future in a circus if CS doesn't work out Very Happy and Brian, I challenge anyone there to a game of pool, it's probably the only thing out of that list I don't suck at Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bbi5291

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:00 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ecoo 2009

saltpro15 @ Sat May 02, 2009 8:58 pm wrote:
corriep has a wonderful future in a circus if CS doesn't work out Very Happy and Brian, I challenge anyone there to a game of pool, it's probably the only thing out of that list I don't suck at Very Happy

I am absolutely pathetic at pool. Last time I got more scratches than legitimate shots. The other people I played with weren't great either, so you'll probably be dominating the pool table.
Cyril

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2009

I see. I'm thinking of getting a bit more serious into chemistry- I have an okay background (my mom is a biochemist), but I've neglected rigidly structured learning for some years. Perhaps I should get off my lazy hindquarters and study this summer.

I challenge all to Brawl! (although I'm not very good, as they have made Peach a lot worse compared to SSBM)
Analysis Mode

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:52 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ecoo 2009

bbi5291 @ Sat May 02, 2009 8:53 pm wrote:
The IBO is a bit of a joke, an eidetic memory would essentially suffice to get you on the IBO team.

*ahem what's this I hear?*, i assume that's revenge for my comment against you, which, by the way, I admitted was a joke.

And i'm expecting 38/50 (stupid wrong answer penalty) on the National Biology Competition. I have to admit, even though there were some hard questions on that exam, it was, for the most part, fairly trivial. Two or three of the questions I'm certain I got right on that exam came from knowledge I picked up in the past week. If this were CS we were talking about, I don't think that little bit of knowledge would've even made a difference. So yes, CS is more 1337 than bio, but brian, you didn't have to make that comment Flaming

However, questions at the International level get harder, but yeah, knowledge is more important than thinking skills (of course, this changes when we get into professional biological/medical research).
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:14 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Ecoo 2009

bbi5291 @ Sat May 02, 2009 wrote:
saltpro15 @ Sat May 02, 2009 8:58 pm wrote:

I am absolutely pathetic at pool. Last time I got more scratches than legitimate shots. The other people I played with weren't great either, so you'll probably be dominating the pool table.

well, right after you and Hanson and the other coding gurus hand my ass to me on a silver platter, at least I know I can get you back in pool xD
A.J

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:10 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2009

....wow, so many people with so many talents......I feel left out ............
whlue

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:03 am   Post subject: RE:Ecoo 2009

Hello there. I've mainly been a lurker, but I guess it'd be appropriate to post in this thread now seeing that my team (Bayview Glen Team 1) got into the finals this year (#11th). Apparently we're the first independent school team to make it to the finals according to my CS teacher. Well anyway, if you see four guys in uniform (blue blazer, blue tie, except one guy with a red tie), then it's probably us. Looking forward to meeting you guys.
A.J

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:13 pm   Post subject: Re: Ecoo 2009

whlue wrote:

Apparently we're the first independent school team to make it to the finals according to my CS teacher.

'Independant school team'? could you explain that please (to me at least)?
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 7 of 9  [ 123 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: