Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Getting software (VB 6.0)
Index -> Visual Basic and Other Basics
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:04 pm   Post subject: Getting software (VB 6.0)

Hey just a quick question :
How does one get Visual Basic 6.0? I can get 5, 6 (enterprise edition), or .net, but not 6.0. Does anybody know a way how without having to buy it?

If so,
thanx
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

I didn't know one could still buy it; on the account that it was killed off a while ago.

6EE should be able to run 6.0's code though, no?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

I don't think so. From what I've seen from VB 6EE, it doesn't work. They appear incompatible, unless there is a button somewhere to switch to the VB 6.0 formatting.
S_Grimm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

umm......... Try Torrent Sites. I am NOT going to post the ones I use, as I'm fairly certain it will get me in trouble.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

I tried, and all I found was VB 6EE
Vertico

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:35 pm   Post subject: Re: Getting software (VB 6.0)

From what I understand, v6 is no longer supported.

If your reason for wanting such software is for educational purposes, why not just move up to .NET?
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

Or, since VB6 and VB.NET have nothing meaningful in common, pick any other programming language.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:59 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

Wait, you're still looking? Hit Wall Besides, I thought you wanted the Enterprise Edition. In any case it's moot since Enterprise Edition does everything Professional does.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:45 am   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

@Vertico : Because my teacher wasn't thinking and chose a dead language.

@wtd : Can't this is for school.

@Brightguy : Yeah, but it isn't the same. You cannot write the same code in VB 6EE and VB 6.0 and get the same result.
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 am   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

Who is telling you that there's a difference? The Enterprise edition just includes more debugging tools and misc. features that 'larger' projects can use, as far as I know.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

I'm saying the difference : I've used them bot and unless there is some "preferences" or something similar, they seem different.

Besides, the project is supposed to be done in VB 6.0
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

There is no difference. You're making stuff up. The two editions will handle the file the same. If anything, you'll have problems going from Enterprise to Professional, not the other way around.
isaiahk9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:33 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

@Euphoracle : Umm . . . no offense . . . but . . . claiming that I'm fabricating things with no proof, no explanation, no counter doesn't make you look smart. Although you don't sound like you've used VB 6.0 and VBEE, and are just making assumptions, that is just a guess. I would blatantly insult people along the way. I dunno, but people insulting my word bugs me. And without any proof, trying to disclaim an argument without any proof, you just look like more of a fool than the original user.
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

Oh boohoo. Baseless arguments don't make you look smart either. You're making things up because I've downloaded the Enterprise edition before because it's the only edition that is even on the internet many years ago when I first got into programming. I used a few tutorials from VB6 and they ran fine. Hell, I downloaded full projects and ran them while examining the code. Although I've never used any other editions, the likelihood that Microsoft created a different language for the enterprise edition is silly, and you're silly for thinking that. I am insulting you because all of this makes no sense. According to the promotional websites, VB6EE adds more support for web deployment, debugging, and more professional-oriented tools for large-scale projects. Why would it be called 'Visual Basic 6 Enterprise Edition' if it wasn't 'Visual Basic 6'?

In fact, they probably use the same compiler.

Hey hey, I found my old bookmarks on my old computer: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa733713(VS.60).aspx
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Getting software (VB 6.0)

Unless you need the visual database designer tools enterprise edition will give you everything professional will any more.

If you don't believe me, take Microsoft's word for it.
   Index -> Visual Basic and Other Basics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 20 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: