Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 PHP Frameworks
Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:44 am   Post subject: PHP Frameworks

I'm thinking of doing a little side project, and since I write Perl at work, I thought maybe I'd use PHP just for the practice and learning. I've done a little PHP before, but nothing very much and nothing serious.

Anyway, there seems to be a large selection of PHP Frameworks out there, and being that I mainly am stuck in Perl-world, I don't have any experience with any of them. Anyone have any recommendations, warnings, or insight into them? Any idea why I might choose one particular one over another, or do you have one in particular you think is best?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 am   Post subject: RE:PHP Frameworks

When I checked it out I rather liked CakePHP.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PHP Frameworks

rdrake @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 am wrote:
When I checked it out I rather liked CakePHP.

Any reasons in particular why, or was it more of a "hey this is kind of nice" sort of thing? I've never used a web framework at all so far, really, and half the motivation for this is to be able to say I have, so the pros and cons of them are interesting to hear.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:45 pm   Post subject: RE:PHP Frameworks

I'm not sure of the state of CakePHP now, but it started out as a port of Rails from Ruby to PHP. To a certain degree, it brought some Rails into the PHP community. On the other hand PHP is not Ruby, and some parts of Rails cannot be implemented as neatly... or at all. And so CakePHP has its flaws.

I have heard some people speak favourably of Zend, but I can't personally comment on that.

If you are picking up on something new anyway, just for learning and practice, I would encourage to go in favour of Ruby or Python, instead of PHP.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PHP Frameworks

Tony @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:45 pm wrote:
I'm not sure of the state of CakePHP now, but it started out as a port of Rails from Ruby to PHP. To a certain degree, it brought some Rails into the PHP community. On the other hand PHP is not Ruby, and some parts of Rails cannot be implemented as neatly... or at all. And so CakePHP has its flaws.

I have heard some people speak favourably of Zend, but I can't personally comment on that.

If you are picking up on something new anyway, just for learning and practice, I would encourage to go in favour of Ruby or Python, instead of PHP.

Yeah, I thought of using Django and Python, but PHP seemed more.. common. More like something that would be good to have "in my toolbox", so to speak.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:51 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PHP Frameworks

Unforgiven @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm wrote:
but PHP seemed more.. common

That's not necessary a good thing.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:21 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PHP Frameworks

Tony @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:51 pm wrote:
Unforgiven @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm wrote:
but PHP seemed more.. common

That's not necessary a good thing.

No, but it is more useful in terms of resume fodder, odds of needing it in my job, and things like that. Tibetan may be the greatest language to learn in the world in terms of syntax and grammar, but if very few people speak it, it's still not the best choice.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:31 pm   Post subject: RE:PHP Frameworks

In this case, "best choice" is defined by your objective. If the purpose is to "get hired by anyone", then I suppose you'll find more PHP code out there. I hear there's still a lot of COBOL around as well.

You might get the quantity of positions... but then again that quantity will come from companies that use technology like PHP or COBOL.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:40 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PHP Frameworks

Tony @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:45 pm wrote:
I'm not sure of the state of CakePHP now, but it started out as a port of Rails from Ruby to PHP..
It most certainly did not. It was inspired by Rails. It's just your standard MVC framework.

As for why I liked it... I'm not entirely sure. It was helpful in debugging and figuring out what I was doing wrong. Documentation was fairly plentiful as well.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:36 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PHP Frameworks

Tony @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:31 pm wrote:
In this case, "best choice" is defined by your objective. If the purpose is to "get hired by anyone", then I suppose you'll find more PHP code out there. I hear there's still a lot of COBOL around as well.

You might get the quantity of positions... but then again that quantity will come from companies that use technology like PHP or COBOL.

All I mean is that if I'm going to learn something, it may as well be useful in more than just that context. Using the latest fad language won't serve me much in that context, whereas doing it in the most common web language will. If I see an open source web app and want to contribute, odds are it'll be PHP, for example. I'm not shunning Ruby or especially Python, I'm just saying that PHP is higher on the list, with that consideration.

I'm not even talking about getting a PHP developer job, I just mean, like I said, another tool in the toolbox. That's all.

I'd actually like to play around more with Python, too. I just already pretty much know I'll use Django on that because I've been curious, so there's no need to post a thread about that one.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:56 pm   Post subject: RE:PHP Frameworks

Fair enough. Just want to make sure that you make an informed decision; and it sounds like you've been doing some looking into the subject.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:34 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:PHP Frameworks

Tony @ Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:56 pm wrote:
Fair enough. Just want to make sure that you make an informed decision; and it sounds like you've been doing some looking into the subject.

Don't get me wrong - I do appreciate your input.

It's not so much I've looked into PHP, I'm just not new to web development. The problem is that I've pretty much exclusively worked in Perl because that's what's used at work. Since this would be a side project, I could do it any anything, so I figured I may as well do it something I haven't done. I've written some PHP before when I was in college still, but it was just some "get stuff out of database and spit it out" stuff, very basic and routine.
md

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:27 pm   Post subject: RE:PHP Frameworks

Frameworks... phsa Wink
btiffin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 am   Post subject: RE:PHP Frameworks

I've been building up a TikiWiki site, and Tiki uses the Smarty template engine. http://www.smarty.net/

Not horrible, IMHO, but another on the team doesn't appreciate the dual layer of PHP that is usually involved. A PHP pass for the Smarty Template and then another PHP pass for the Tiki page.

Cheers
Edit; Gee, I guess I should mention ... I'm using the PHP to build up a COBOL site Wink
gianni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:58 pm   Post subject: RE:PHP Frameworks

I've used CakePHP on a production project, avoid at all costs. In theory it's a great idea, but rails just doesn't work in PHP.

I would recommend CodeIgniter. It's a trimmed down, slimmer, faster MVC framework. This other one, Prado, also looked pretty good but I haven't tried it yet.
   Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: