Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 SAST (Students Against Stupid Turing)
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Blade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

darnit... people taht aren't on here 24/7 miss some stuff
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well the advantage of a forum over say IRC is that atleast you know you missed something Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol I like this Impys fellow. he can stick around for a while. 8)

his program was soo stupid and so is Impys ... but it's funny about his stupidity Laughing
poly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ahhh damn it.... you mean now I can't save it and.... ummmm I mean Oh that sucks to loose it!
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok... btw i started out learning programing with java.. weird..

anyways thats just to prove u that you don't really need Turing. but hey i think it is stupid to have a club against a programming language. it's like saying turing is a religion but u prefer C++/VB/etc instead, and thus down with turing. the worst thing u can do is treat a LANGUAGE as a religion. it is sick and crazy. a lot a people do it. thats the true meaning of the word "geek".

a computer language is created by humans and not by God. treat is as a tool and not something to worship.. etc..

But i got to agree. Turing is not the best designed language around. I mean if you need a BASIC (Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) like syntax for a language use VB.net. It's a better choice.
naoki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think turing screwed me royally now that i hafta learn c++
the basic ideas are all good, but the syntax was so gorgeously simple compared to the stupid complications c++ gives me. i mean, when we hafta use the 3 different brackets it's gonna suck compared to only 1 beforehand.

let alone the fact that the syntax formulas are so damn complicated, something along of the lines CDmPEl (int foRTue) is basically all i see.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

now could you imagine trying to learn the basic constructs when you had to worry about the complicated syntax?
octopi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Amailer wrote:
ya...i blocked it -.-

How, and why did you 'block' it?

Wasn't it just a small picture of a bunch of girl's chests?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Amailer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How?
Mozilla..

Why?
Non of your Beezinass!
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its true that the transition between turing's simple syntax and something like C++ or Java might be overwhealming for some people, but you gotta see if from school board's perspective (which I agree in advance that it sucks).

I mean starting off with Java right away would be awesome, but what about all those kids who strugle with forloops in turing? Which is usually half the class Confused Try explaining multiple constructs and instances to them Twisted Evil

Point is - being above average makes you a minority, and schools dont care for minorities. Hey - I'd like graphics to be taught in schools, but noone is teaching 3DSMAX. On the rear occasion some teacher downloads Photoshop, they only teach how to crop images and maybe adding text to photographs. Mad
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what tony said is so true Sad the closest my school had to graphics was comm tech ... which the teacher knew shit all about anything in ... but we did do a little more than crop images and add text hehe ... we did do some 3d stuff, unfortunately though, his 3d app of choice is lightwave (/me shudders) but he did have an old copy of 3ds 2.5 lying around that I convinced him to allow me to use in grade 10 ... all the 3d stuff I did for grade 11 I did at home with max 4 (except for a landscape that I did with bryce) ... but the big graphics project (for grade 11) was to make something 3d and then put a photo of yourself into the image in some way (mine was a dragon flying through some mountains with me riding it) .. grade 10 there was one where you had to put your face and name onto some image (I replaced keanu reeves's face on the cover of the matrix with mine and changed his name to mine) and then the other was to make some 3d animation with your name in it
then I just didn't take comm tech in grade 12 because I decided there was no point in taking a course where I knew more than the teacher about it (I'm not just being stuck up either... that teacher really was useless)
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well if I would stop taking courses where I know more then the teacher, I would have dropped compsci 10 and never took 11 or 12 or AP Wink

but hey, easy marks and school time to work on compsci Laughing
Asok

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Turing for the win! I'm never touching c++ again due to the simplicity of Turing! hooray!
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

O Lord! help him please Laughing
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah, well turing is just a fansy calculator really.

You need C++ for power, hardware access and 3D graphics
VB for its GUI
Java for its portability

Turing has a simplified syntax, but at a cost of functionality. Earlier this year turing was proven in not being functional enough to even complete some of CCC problems Confused
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 52 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: