Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Admission Averages
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
saltpro15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

so far this semester I'm holding steady at around a 94 average, but my math and science marks last semester were rather lower than usual Sad (80 and 85). I'm leaning more towards software engineering than comp sci now, 2 questions.
1. do I get an iron ring if I graduate software engineering?
2. does software engineering at idk say waterloo still offer that great co-op program?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

I don't know about #1, but I can answer #2:

Yes, both the Math and Engineering faculties do have co-op programs. Technically, so do the Arts and Science faculties, but a much lesser percentage of their students participate. As a "softie" (SE major), you would be an engineer, which means you take engineering courses (as well as the PDEng courses, rather than standard PD).
jcollins1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:45 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

Horus @ Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:04 pm wrote:
so far my marks are:

94 comp sci
87 data
77 physics
66 english
my 87 advanced function doesn't show....

and i'm getting 98 in calculus right now... what's my chance?

i've got sorta the same marks...

sem 1...
funtions - 93
physics - 78
computer engineering - 82 (first time i've taken it...)
english - 65

sem 2
computer science - 96
calculus - 91 (we started w/ vectors)
international business - high 80's probably

about english though... http://www.findoutmore.uwaterloo.ca/thenextstep/admitted/conditions.php
near the bottom of the page it says minimum 75% average in english, functions, and calculus... this means the overall average of those courses must be atleast 75%, not that you need minimum of 75% in each of the seperate classes... this is what i was told when i called into the waterloo admissions department... also, if you have special circumstances that would affect your english mark, you could have told them that on your AIF...
mono-1-rulz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

umm...this is sort of off topics...but i hread extracurriculars matter even more than marks for universities esp. UW........and am kinda worried abt that........if anyone can clarify this that would be great!!!! Very Happy
BigBear

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Most universitys take into account extra curricular activities, because it is hard to get high ninetys with extra stuff going on.
Horus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

just a question to all who got accepted into UT and waterloo.

what's the minimum average you have to maintain to keep your offer?
Drew416

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:35 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

mono-1-rulz @ Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:56 pm wrote:
umm...this is sort of off topics...but i hread extracurriculars matter even more than marks for universities esp. UW........and am kinda worried abt that........if anyone can clarify this that would be great!!!! Very Happy

No, from what I've heard having a kickass AIF(the document in which you enter your EC's) can give you upto a 5% bump in marks in UW's eyes but if your AIF sucks it won't hurt you so if you have say an 88 avg, and sucky extracurriculars the will judge you as 88%, and remember that ECs are only a small part of AIF which contains your work history, teacher's references, math/cs competitions etc so it's possible to have a very good AIF despite poor ECs. There is no way for them to confirm your ECs are true that is why I don't think they give too much weight to ECs, anyone could write that through their life they eliminated poverty, fed the hungry, saved the children, healed the sick and clothed the nude. Just make sure your marks are solid, do a little volunteering if you can (1 hr a week at a homless shelter for example is gonna look pretty good) but if you can't don't sweat it.
Saad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:57 am   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

English - 79
    Calculus and Vectors - 98
    Advanced Functions - 98
    Computer Science - 100
    Chemistry - 90
    Physics - 98
    Accounting - 98
Average for the 6 is around 93.67

Applied to:
    Mechatronics
    Computer Science
    Mathematical Physics

At University of Waterloo

Accepted to all programs with standard conditions; Mechatronics might have different conditions. I feel my AIF for each program was in depth and answered the questions.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:08 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Wow congrats saad. 98% in physics is just insane. Be seeing you next year man Wink
phreadj

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

are there any IB kids who have applied to universities with their predicted IB marks?
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Update : So, by the end of gr12 I'll have around 250 hours of community service, think I should go for more or just join another sports team?
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:59 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

phreadj @ Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:19 pm wrote:
are there any IB kids who have applied to universities with their predicted IB marks?

I did, but I am in partial. Why do you ask?
Dark

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

saltpro15 @ Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:53 pm wrote:
so far this semester I'm holding steady at around a 94 average, but my math and science marks last semester were rather lower than usual Sad (80 and 85). I'm leaning more towards software engineering than comp sci now, 2 questions.
1. do I get an iron ring if I graduate software engineering?
2. does software engineering at idk say waterloo still offer that great co-op program?

yes and yes
saltpro15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:07 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

thanks Dark, good to know
implosion

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

Schools Applied To:
Waterloo - Computer science, software engineering
UofT St. George - CE, CS
UofT Scarborough CS
McMaster - Engineering (general), CS

Application Average:
82.3 for compsci
77 for engineering =P (everything after midterms went down hill (N) )

Schools Accepted To:
Alternate offer from Mac to Mohawk for B.Technology
UofT Scarborough Compsci

Additional Information:
well i thought i was gonna stay back an extra year after i applied so i didn't fill out any forms. i wrote gr.11/12 waterloo contest and some CNML ones.

PS.
anybody have any information about CS at scarborough, i know on einfo under major interests it says software engineering... does that give me the title to an "engineer" ? and what does it mean by joint to this/ that.. ?

http://www.electronicinfo.ca/en/program-details.php?pcode=572224_572089_207_184&j=1
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 13  [ 189 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: