Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Google CodeJam
Index -> Contests
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jernst

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:28 pm   Post subject: Google CodeJam

Was browsing around today and came across this coding contest put on by google. It has some prize money and such if you really do well so I thought some people here might be interested.

http://code.google.com/codejam/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Google CodeJam

wow... anyone who places within the top 100 wins money... not bad.
jernst

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Google CodeJam

yeah pretty cool, also seems like they are sorta using it for recruitment as well, because in the sign-up process it asks if they can contact you for employment...so thats kinda more motivation if your interested in working for them
apomb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:41 pm   Post subject: RE:Google CodeJam

Thats a pretty bold statement. Personally, though, I will not be entering. good opportunity for some of the better programmers here though.
jernst

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:54 pm   Post subject: Re: Google CodeJam

yeah im not expecting to do well, but should be fun anyway haha Razz havent done a contest since high school
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Google CodeJam

We should sponsor someone to do it Very Happy and then donate the prize money to me/compsci.ca.....
Zeroth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Google CodeJam

I finished the first practice problem in... 3 hours. but I got it right! Working on the second one... they are solvable, and great practice for all.
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Google CodeJam

If you don't do algorithm contests frequently, it will be rather difficult to finish in the top 100.. Here at compsci.ca you might expect members such as klopyrev and bugzpodder and maybe one or two more. I personally haven't done programming contests for a few years but might do this one for fun and to see if I can perform as well as I did in the past (which was not so well mind you).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Google CodeJam

Tony might do okay. Maybe. Possibly, prolly, could be.
SJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:01 pm   Post subject: Re: Google CodeJam

I was just reading the rules and the 4th point said

"You are eligible if you meet the following requirements at the time of registration...
You are not a national or resident of any of the following countries or provinces: Burma (Myanmar), Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Quebec, Sudan and Syria, or anywhere where the contest is prohibited by law."

Quebec? French Canadians can't participate in code jam. haha
Zeroth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Google CodeJam

Labor laws.
gitoxa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Google CodeJam

If you ever look at the rules of any North American contest, Quebecois aren't eligible to win prizes either.

I'll be picky here and say french Canadians are allowed, just as long as they don't live in Quebec. Razz
Zeroth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Google CodeJam

I think its because of the language laws. The contests are not available in French, and entries are not accepted in french, so they are not eligible to win prizes.
aramadia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 pm   Post subject: Re: Google CodeJam

Awesome, I just heard about it in one of those google ads. I managed to get a perfect score but I took too long so I was ranked 69. Very Happy I think Klopyrev came 20th. The first two problems were greedy, but did anyone solve the third problem without using calculus?
SJ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:58 pm   Post subject: RE:Google CodeJam

i got the first 2.. died on the third one.. had no idea how to do it (im taking gr12 calculus next year =[ )
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: