Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Accepted To Waterloo?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mackie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

The website lies!! It told me there were 49% girls... I feel so used...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
PaulButler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:55 pm   Post subject: Re: Accepted To Waterloo?

tupac @ Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:26 pm wrote:
Yea... I didn't find waterloo to be all that exciting. Or at least not as exciting as I was hoping for. But still a good school, can't argue with that.

Compared to high school, university is very appealing. I think that's the reason for all the excitement. That and the fact that their hard work has paid off.

I know I was excited when I was accepted into UW. It might not be as exciting as a carnival, but I think university is a lot more enjoyable than my prior education.
Mackie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

High School sucks simply because you learn so much stuff you won't use or are not interested in.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:08 pm   Post subject: Re: Accepted To Waterloo?

milton.ignites @ Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 pm wrote:
LaZ3R @ Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:16 pm wrote:
. I might just die if I get rejected Sad... More scary than getting rejected by a girl

get used to it there are no (fine rarely.....to pretty uncommonly) any girls in waterloo.. especially comp sci. Razz

-Current Waterloo Student.

so this looks pretty promising for me?
- a FEMALE computer geek who just got accepted to comp sci at waterloo Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

iluvchairs112 -- it is indeed Wink Though you'd be set in any CS program, not just Waterloo.

For the guys out there -- a University still averages out just about 50/50 overall (well, maybe not at Waterloo), it's just Math and Engineering that's skewed. So remember to be social in your residence, and pick up on those non-technical electives!
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:03 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

Cinjection @ Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:10 pm wrote:
iluvchairs112 @ Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 am wrote:
YES!!! I just got accepted to Waterloo for computer science!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so excited lol
I guess I will see a number of you there next year?

May I ask about your applying average and what extracurriculars you had? I'm curious about my chances, although I think I'm okay.

Well since it's early acceptance my grade 11 avg was 86.5 (which I was quite surprised made early acceptance) but I do have 2 part time jobs and a ton of extracirriculars. Also my comp sci and math marks were really good (not the others so much).

Tony wrote:

iluvchairs112 -- it is indeed Wink Though you'd be set in any CS program, not just Waterloo.

For the guys out there -- a University still averages out just about 50/50 overall (well, maybe not at Waterloo), it's just Math and Engineering that's skewed. So remember to be social in your residence, and pick up on those non-technical electives!

haha I have definitely noticed in all my computer science and engineering classes in high school that I'm the only girl ... perhaps there is one more. it's not too bad for me lol
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:33 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

Tony @ Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:57 pm wrote:

I'm minoring in psychology Razz
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Accepted To Waterloo?

BooHoo its game over for me.... i guess my... 70 ....... something... average is just not good enough Crying or Very sad as much as i love comp sci.... poor me
not even the crappiest university will accept me now , I guess i'll lock myself in my basement and become a 1337 h4x0r
farewell everyone Puppy Dog Eyes
god bless everyone

@codemonkey, yea congrats to you too, on your 1 year early acceptance, to MIT.... HA!

Drunk Hit Wall

but seriously, if i got no post secondary school to go to, im screwed, i dont wanna stay an extra year.............

Ps. if you are reading this, i probably hanged myself, and if you see me online sometime later, thats probably my ghost, haunting compsci.ca
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
PaulButler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:01 am   Post subject: Re: Accepted To Waterloo?

HeavenAgain @ Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:37 pm wrote:
BooHoo its game over for me.... i guess my... 70 ....... something... average is just not good enough Crying or Very sad as much as i love comp sci.... poor me
not even the crappiest university will accept me now , I guess i'll lock myself in my basement and become a 1337 h4x0r
god bless everyone

@codemonkey, yea congrats to you too, on your 1 year early acceptance, to MIT.... HA!

Drunk Hit Wall

but seriously, if i got no post secondary school to go to, im screwed, i dont wanna stay an extra year.............

Ps. if you are reading this, i probably hanged myself, and if you see me online sometime later, thats probably my ghost, haunting compsci.ca

Not getting into waterloo is not the end of the world. First of all, don't give up on Waterloo yet just because they haven't accepted you - it's only February for goodness sake. A mark in the 70s is a bit low for UW, but it doesn't hurt to keep improving your mark and see if you get anywhere.

Also, there are other universities out there. A 70s average should not eliminate you from most universities. There are plenty of universities in Canada with reputable CS programs.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 am   Post subject: Re: Accepted To Waterloo?

PaulButler @ Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:01 am wrote:
There are plenty of universities in Canada with reputable CS programs.

I second that.

Besides, CS is also largely what you make of it. And you know we are here for you Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 am   Post subject: Re: Accepted To Waterloo?

HeavenAgain @ 6th February 2008, 11:37 pm wrote:
god bless everyone

Well if you only applyead to waterloo then it realy is your own fault (esptaly if you knew your average was going to be in the 70s). There are universitys out there (in ontario even) that will take students who have 70 averages in to computer sci on ademic probation.

If you wont my advice you should get off your ass and apply to a univeristy that will acpect you in to computer sci with a 70s average and start trying to bring up your high school average befor the year is over. Some universitys will allow late applications or even applications 1/2 way threw the year. Why not go to a university that sees students as peoleop and not averages and show up waterloo about what they passed up?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:55 am   Post subject: Re: Accepted To Waterloo?

If your looking for girls, then look no further....
Brock University has as far as I know, the highest proportion of girls.

https://careerservices.brocku.ca/Educators/University/Stats#enrollment

Although don't expect to see any of these 'girls' as there a mythological creature which never attends class, or at least no class you'll ever be in. Although you can expect to see pack's of these girls on your way to classes.

We also have a Computer Science program, although I found it a little too slow. (First year is a joke, but I hear that about most universities)
HeavenAgain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:51 am   Post subject: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

well, i knew this was going to happen, so i applied to Ryerson, which requires 70-75 avg, not so bad, but however i still wanted to go to waterloo. I've asked my comp sci teacher to write me a reference letter, hope it helps, and i do stand a good chance on the ccc for stage 2, should help too....

Dan @ Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 am wrote:
Why not go to a university that sees students as peoleop and not averages and show up waterloo about what they passed up?

I love that line, and totally agrees. my marks may suck, but i do know my stuffs, thats for sure Very Happy
PaulButler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:13 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

HeavenAgain @ Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:51 am wrote:
well, i knew this was going to happen, so i applied to Ryerson, which requires 70-75 avg, not so bad, but however i still wanted to go to waterloo. I've asked my comp sci teacher to write me a reference letter, hope it helps, and i do stand a good chance on the ccc for stage 2, should help too....

Dan @ Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:12 am wrote:
Why not go to a university that sees students as peoleop and not averages and show up waterloo about what they passed up?

I love that line, and totally agrees. my marks may suck, but i do know my stuffs, thats for sure Very Happy

Competitions are a good way to go. Do the CCC for sure, but also local competitions. Universities like to hold competitions for recruiting, and they tend to be easier than the CCC. If you are good at math, try math competitions (Euclid, etc.) too. It can't hurt.

Do you know why your marks are as low as they are? I had marks in around the same range around this time last year, and my math marks were among the lowest. I realized that it was my learning style that was holding me back - I have a very hard time learning from a teacher's demonstration, but I have no problem learning from a book. So I took a distance calculus course from UW, and got a good mark, and was accepted soon after. If you are strong enough in math and independent learning, this may be the way to go if you *really* want to get in. Or if you know something else that's holding you back from getting higher marks (aside from the sad realization that the whole system is a sham), see if you can remedy it before the term ends.
Cinjection

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:29 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Accepted To Waterloo?

iluvchairs112 @ Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:03 pm wrote:

Well since it's early acceptance my grade 11 avg was 86.5 (which I was quite surprised made early acceptance) but I do have 2 part time jobs and a ton of extracirriculars. Also my comp sci and math marks were really good (not the others so much).

Thanks. I had about the same average last year, and I also have a couple contest wins and extra curriculars under my belt.

I guess I'll see you there!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 57 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: