Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Carleton CS
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
cs_kz_ca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:11 am   Post subject: Carleton CS

Hello fellas!
Recently I've been accepted to YorkU n Carleton university.
majoring computer science.
can u guys advise which one to choose? im really thinking about Carleton university.
is it good for computer science?

thanks in advance!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:19 am   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

hey, I've actually started a series on the blog about Computer Science programs at different Universities. It might take a while to get all of them covered, but subscribe to keep yourself up to date. It will be good Wink

Though for us to be more specific, it usually helps for you to be more specific in what you're looking for. Besides the raw CS program, there's a lot to think about. It's two different Universities in different cities. What kind of aspects are important to you?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
cs_kz_ca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:12 am   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

for me only study is important,
may be business stream in CS.
now im taking english language in UofT,
but I want to start academic from January, not wait until next year september.
cs_kz_ca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Carleton CS

for me it really doesn't matter in which city the university is located.
does anyone has info about Carleton CS?
if not then Carleton actually does suck at CS...
doesn't it?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Carleton CS

cs_kz_ca @ Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:28 pm wrote:
if not then Carleton actually does suck at CS... doesn't it?

I wouldn't say so. Carleton offers a Bachelor of Computer Science (as oppose to Bachelor of Science), and it seems that their faculty is fairly developed. It probably doesn't receive as much recognition as it deserves. It also comes in a co-op flavour, which in my opinion is fairly important.

Between YorkU and Carleton, I would not dismiss the latter from the consideration.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

I don't know if there is much value in having BSc CompSci over a bachelor of computer science.

The only diffrence is the name. One uses the tradational placment of maths and realted fields in science deparment and the other is just naming each feild in it's own degerare. I don't real think there is any befinite to your education in a diffrent name however it could matter if you are realy picky about what you whont your degrea to be called or smothing :p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

It probably doesn't matter, it's all abbreviated anyway. BSc. BCs. If you read it quick enough, you're not even going to spot a difference Wink
cs_kz_ca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

Thank u for the posts,
actually I don't really care about if it is BSc or BCs.
Im saying that the only thing I care is quality of CS in both universities.

I was admitted to Bachelor of Computer Science in -Carleton

&&
Atkinson Faculty of Liberal & Professional Studies, B.A., Spec. Hons. Computer Science in
-YorkU

so Carleton is not as bad as I thought.
I have only couple of days left before I decide.
My scholarship program really makes me decide quickly.

Please give a reasonable advice !
Thanks!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cs_kz_ca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

Also I heard that YorkU is on college level.
and they only have one of the best business schools. I think it is Schulich.
is it true or just gossips?
md

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:40 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

Carlton has the advantage of lots of coop jobs for the federal government AND lots of private sector coop positions. It's also a lot nicer here then in Toronto Wink
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

Ottawa is really pretty, but also really cold. York has a pretty nifty campus, and a lot of people - I think it's the second biggest university (in terms of population) in Canada.

Going to a smaller university certainly can be good. Classes will be smaller, and you'll be able to get to know your professors better.
cs_kz_ca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

ok i know that Carleton is smaller than YorkU and about co-op,
but what about exactly computer science in Carleton?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

they have a website to look over.
cs_kz_ca

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:27 pm   Post subject: RE:Carleton CS

yeah they definitely do.
however, the info they have about cs is very typical like other sites do. nothing special.

im looking for opinions from people who have heard or experienced sth there.

thank u!
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:17 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Carleton CS

cs_kz_ca @ 28th November 2007, 6:15 pm wrote:
Also I heard that YorkU is on college level.

If it was on college level it whould be a college. In ontario we have a fairly good adreacation system for universitys so most universitys that are public and adcredited will noramly have a good qaulity of education. (Tho every university may not be for you and some can be better or worse for you based on what you like in your educational exprice.)

Quote:

yeah they definitely do.
however, the info they have about cs is very typical like other sites do. nothing special.

This might be becues in ontario most university CS programs are about the same so most info you will find on univerity sites will be about the same.

What you should look in to are things like what CS corses they offer, how big there class sizes are, what % of them are tought by phds, how accesable are the profsers, what is residence like, what is the food like in the cafes, do they offer speshalizations in there CS program, what graduate options are avaerable if you whont to go to grad school latter on, what is the city like, what are the peoleop like, ect.

The best way and most defintive way to find the anwsers to most of thess questions is to aucatly go to the school and city, if that is not posibale you might whont to talk to students form each univerity and check out there site in detail. You can also ushealy call up some one in ther recurement deparment and ask them questions you have directly.

Asking general questions like how good is school X or what quaity is school Y is going to give you a larnge vearying number of awnsers as things like "how good" and "qaulity" mean diffrent things to diffrent peoleop. For example i love small schools but others here pefure big ones so our options on what makes a good school whould differ largely.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: