Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Could I get into Waterloo?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Ultrahex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:34 pm   Post subject: Re: Could I get into Waterloo?

If you work hard you can pretty much go to any university that you wish, some are just harder to get into then others. Overall though if you have 85% average and above you can get in pretty much everywhere (except crazy universities that are not that good to go to anyhow). I am currently attending University of Waterloo and I would say there is a fair bit of people here at waterloo in first year that should not even be in the program they are, but what can you do. Just make sure you are well trained before heading off to university (try cutting down on procrastinating, doing assignments in advance, getting work done, and most of all get sleep before exams/midterms/tests!) I have only been here for ~ a month, and that is basically how it goes!

I hope you good luck in your education choice,
Alex Riedler
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
milton.ignites

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:33 pm   Post subject: Re: Could I get into Waterloo?

as a current cs student in uw, i would say ud probably get an early acceptance. (if u do and u already have 90+ avg u dont need fill in aif unless u want a higher scholarship)

P>S i signed up to this site JUST to respond to ur question, so u better apply to loo hahahha
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

heh, thx for taking the effort Milton.

Though I think it would be foolish to skip out on the AIF. Depending on the school, your 90% might not be weighted the same as someone else's 90%.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Zeeshan.Quireshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:32 pm   Post subject: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

Guys , same question here .

I am an international student and i totally love Computers .

My CS average is 99% whole of my life and math average is 90%+ but i really suck at chemistry .

I've won many awards this year and last year totalling to 9 in the last 2 years .

I also have an award for Having All Country Rank of 9 in National Level Computer Quiz , for that i got an iPod Nano as prize too :p

So my question is , if i get around 70-80 in chem whill i be able to get in .

I scores 109 in the TOEFL and 2080 on the SAT .

PS: i'm not really the studious type , it's just that i like computers n math so i get good marks in them but i don't dedicate any time to chem n very little to physics coz i think chem will be useless for CS and i can't find any ratinoal thinking behing chm reactions , you just have to mug em up and that i can't do
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:29 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

Zeeshan.Quireshi @ Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:32 pm wrote:
i think chem will be useless for CS

Chemistry provides some scientific foundation for Computer Science. And the reactions have to do with structure, strength of bonds, etc. There's a lot of science behind chemistry, but that's not the point here.

I don't know if University of Waterloo has any special considerations for international students, but it sounds like you are doing well. So just apply and see what their response will be.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:31 pm   Post subject: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

What's the National Level Computer Quiz? Are you referring to the CCC? If you placed 9th at the CCC then you should have been invited to stage 2 at UW, and should have no problems getting accepted.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:11 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

CodeMonkey2000 @ Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:31 pm wrote:
What's the National Level Computer Quiz? Are you referring to the CCC?

I'm pretty sure that he's not referring to CCC, seeing as how Canada doesn't have SATs Razz That, and I haven't heard of CCC giving out iPods.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:57 pm   Post subject: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

Ah. I thought he was Canadian and wrote the SAT to apply to American universities to increase their options.

SIDE NOTE: Who here is going to apply to MIT? Now getting accepted there through merit is a true challenge.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

I'm hoping to get into Waterloo (for software engineering) - 89 average so far (English is only an 80 so math and computer science are boosting up my average) and I've got quite a few extracirriculars and I participate in the math contests HOWEVER I haven't won many awards or anything besides the top mark awards at my school (for quite a variety of subjecs though) - will that make a big difference?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

Ah, MIT - the Waterloo of United States...

iluvchairs112 - the awards should be considered under AIF. If you haven't placed high, but participated in a variety of subjects and have strong extracurricular, I don't think that will make too big of a difference.
Zeeshan.Quireshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:02 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Could I get into Waterloo?

Tony @ Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:59 am wrote:
Zeeshan.Quireshi @ Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:32 pm wrote:
i think chem will be useless for CS

Chemistry provides some scientific foundation for Computer Science. And the reactions have to do with structure, strength of bonds, etc. There's a lot of science behind chemistry, but that's not the point here.
Nah man , i know that much Chemistry , we studies all that in Grade 10 but Grade XII chem is mostly organic and stuff Like Volumetric Analysis n all it's useless for me .

I Get the scientific part of Chemistry but Learning all Those Organic Chem Equations by heart just plain Irritates me .

Besides , i Specifically want to get into Bachelor of Computer Science(BCS) and NOT Software Engineering .

CodeMonkey2000 @ Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:27 am wrote:
SIDE NOTE: Who here is going to apply to MIT? Now getting accepted there through merit is a true challenge.
Nah not mE . Although i could apply and possibly be selected .

But i'm specially applying to waterloo bcoz i want a much more friendlier environment where i can share and learn and not just have a rat race to the top as is seen in big univ such as MIT n Stanford .
Reality Check

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Could I get into Waterloo?

I know this is kind of late but I just wanted to let everyone know that I did in fact get in! I got into both Software and Comp Sci but I'm going to Comp Sci for sure. Thanks to everyone who answered and reassured me during my time of stress. I got an early acceptance so I've been accepted for a while now and as expected my marks raised. Boosted my physics and english up to a 91, my math up to 95, and my comp marks up to 98 each. My chem went down to 77 though (just not my subject I guess). I got a 2k scholarship and my hours were just the bare bone 40 hours but I joined a lot of extra clubs.

I got 3/5 on the CCC (meh...procrastinated doing any real practice) and a 60 on the Euclid (once again, this was my first Math contest and I was too lazy to study Sad ). I have, however, developed a serious problem with procrastination as EVERYTHING is left to last possible day. I must stop this for loo! In the summer I plan to do some practice with Math and proofs as someone suggested I do that. Thanks guys!!
Reality Check

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Could I get into Waterloo?

By the way, this dream is probably way out of my possibilities (especially with my low work ethic) but I'm hoping to be able to get into MIT for grad school after my years at loo. I'd like to say I will work very hard (because I think I can make it if I do) but I always say that and I end up slacking off. At least at loo I can't get distracted as easily as I do at home Smile.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 28 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: