Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 [BETA1] Online RPG
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:24 pm   Post subject: [BETA1] Online RPG

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I thought I'd share with you guys the final project me and a classmate have been working on.

Hopefully it will inspire you guys to do even greater things. Razz

http://cconquest.ath.cx/cconquest/cconquest.zip

The server is done in perl and is run 24/7 off my linux box. Make sure you login with someone else so you can actually see how it works for yourself.
Maps are loaded dynamically from the server each time you change maps, so expect things to look different each time you login.

All account/char info is stored on a mysql server. It's pretty neat!

EDIT: This isn't a finished project, but when we're done I'll probobally discuss with my classmate on whether to enter your contest.

EDIT2: Included is the map editor, made by my classmate (James McLean). Feel free to make maps and submit them to rbtaylor@kingston.net. They might end up on the server!

Thanks for your time,
Robert Taylor
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Prince Pwn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:03 pm   Post subject: Re: [BETA1] Online RPG

This owns. I wanna meet someone on it =D
When you have your get statment, use get :* to read the whole line. I put a space in my name and it skipped the whole password part lol.

Update: Hey I met you and some other dude, =D this is sweet.
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:02 pm   Post subject: RE:[BETA1] Online RPG

This is fun Prince... thanks for the help finding those bugs!

Remember to update if you downloaded before 7:30
Prince Pwn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:22 pm   Post subject: Re: [BETA1] Online RPG

You should make an email account where we can submit bugs since we can't edit our posts here.

Found another, if you enter the house with the stairs in the roof, then walk down inside the house, if you go forward you leave the house because of where your warp spot is.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:47 pm   Post subject: RE:[BETA1] Online RPG

this is pretty cool. you should put in quests and randomly generating dungeon maps and be able to trade items. and i noticed that your character goes block-by-block. can you make it so that he goes half a block each step for fluidity(and smoothness)? you already know that the next block is open so just take a half step into it.
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:17 pm   Post subject: RE:[BETA1] Online RPG

E-mail rbtaylor@kingston.net for bugs.

Also, I've made the movement the way it is for network reasons. If I were to do it by half-block I'd have to send twice the number of packets (And Turing's .NET module is pretty crap)

Prince: I know about that bug, I can fix it easily.
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:24 pm   Post subject: RE:[BETA1] Online RPG

Thankyou to the 29 users who logged into Celestial Conquest and neglected to leave any comments.
Clayton

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:54 pm   Post subject: Re: [BETA1] Online RPG

you know, people aren't being forced to leave comments here (nor are they being paid to beta test your game). Demanding that they do just turns people away from something.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Remm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:01 pm   Post subject: Re: [BETA1] Online RPG

that makes me #30, right? Razz

Pretty neat. Wish someone else was online though ^_^

I know this is still a work in progress, but is there anything other than walking around the map? am I missing the menu button or somthing? lol. I clicked Esc and it froze; says - Finished, so im guessing that was to exit game, meaning you need a window.close or somthin after it....

oh, and i liked not being able to go up those stairs in the bar place. 'Sorry, level 1 theif. you are too weak and pathetic to RISE UP THE STAIRS OF ULTIMATE DISTRUCTION'.

Well, i cant wait to see this go far.

oh, when you enter the castle, as you probably know, you spawn on a wall. You cant move on it, other than to the right, which sends you back out of the castle. if you ask me, its a damn good defense against invaders. Also, if you dont plan on using them for somthing else, It'd be cool if you also made WASD also the movement keys. Arrow keys make me cry, lol.

YAY! OTHER PEOPLE ONLINE!!! ^_^
(and you thought WoW was addictive)
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:17 pm   Post subject: RE:[BETA1] Online RPG

I was using sarcasm in my post, Freakman.

I don't expect anyone to leave comments Razz

And Remm, as you know I fixed some of those bugs as we played. Razz
Remm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:33 pm   Post subject: Re: [BETA1] Online RPG

^_^ its so fun.
PM me whenever you want me to test it and find more bugs, i'll be happy to help. Get it fully going and you have have all of my* bits. *by 'my' meaning 'me' i mean everyone BUT me. Yeah. ^_^ i still give lots tho.

Jus rememebr... brighter color for player names & enter / exit game world since they hardly visible. Also text entry is a little hard to see as white (especially when near the buildings) so changing it to a bright green or somthing may help, idk.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:44 pm   Post subject: RE:[BETA1] Online RPG

Chat text gets cut off if its too big
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:[BETA1] Online RPG

Client has been updated. Please re-download.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:38 pm   Post subject: Re: [BETA1] Online RPG

It looks pretty awesome from the screenshot, though I don't have a Windows machine to try this out on.

A good idea would be to send out system messages upon login (such as this "update client"), and possibly some client version validation.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Prince Pwn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:37 pm   Post subject: Re: [BETA1] Online RPG

Here + 140 bits
Best Turing game I ever seen that has re-play value.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 7  [ 95 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: