Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 SAT
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Crono wrote:
i wuz just goin over tis n wuz like, woh, how could u compare Waterloo 2 MIT, WTF u thinkin...kidz needz spankin these days, apparently MIT is top in cs, math, engineerin, and business? yea business...altho i like waterloo's math n business dual degree thingy

the point is asian_s got a point, he's workin hard fo about 2 years so he has a better future makin loads of money, no offense or anything, most likely, university will determine where the hell ur gonna b, but dun make such a big deal of SAT's, just 1600 n 3 800's gets u nutin, turns out u gotta b AMAZO at everything...haha, arent we r all screwed...

Well, he certainly has a better future than you, who doesn't seem to know how to spell anything correctly.

Waterloo has traditionally been on par if not better than MIT in Computer Science, look it up.

Also, university doesn't matter where you'll end up. 90% of those who take Comp Sci. are idiotic morons who don't know what they're doing and end up using their minor to land them some idiotic job at a dead-end posting. Practical experience is what counts, don't count on anything else but what you know. If you're really good at something, you don't need a test, they'll find you and make sure you get the best.

Instead of worrying about some SAT, why don't you work on making a complete commercially-viable game (perhaps a nice card game, a Tetris variant, or something). I bet those working on that great 0 A.D. game will all have cushy jobs, and they're 16-17 years old. Take a look at the Counterstrike and Day of Defeat teams.

Do you really think, that when the employer looks over your resume, he will take someone from MIT with just a bachelor, over someone from some less-great university but has like 20 great useful programs that know what he's up to? Perhaps in some research job they'll take the MIT guy, but not in gaming or real man's software development.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm sorry crono and asiansensation but ubc_wiskatos is right.. i've spoken with MANY MANY university professors and some admissions people and theyve told me stuff lol.. well basically undergrad wont say what you'll do.. it doesnt matter what you get in undergrad solong as you get something(not completley true but you know what i mean).. also mit isnt top in all of those crono.. check out the rankings for the 2004 year.. mit is barely top 10 in anything.. also universities want a wellrounded kid with loads of experience AND GREAT at a specific something.. they dun realy want someone who is ok at something.. i was talking to a prof at a university and he was tlaking about this kid who had amazing grades and everything all the skills but in the interview when he was asked what kind of projects he does in his freetime.. he said nothing.. then they asked him what does on his computer at home.. and he said surf... and that basically lost him everything.. so dun get too quick to judge.. asian ur trying too hard too.. you'll only be young for so long.. whats the point in life if you dont live it?
PaddyLong

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:19 am   Post subject: (No subject)

people who try too hard in school are stupider than those who fail school

I'm like a fucking philosopher or something 8) Laughing
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

lol, how can I not work hard, my parents literally took me apart when I told them I had 82 for English, they blew up on me, made me do chores, and other punishments.

I work hard to keep my parents off my back, don't like to be yelled at everyday.

also, what about the people that doesn't want to major in computer science? I know Crono wants to go in bio-something, so does that mean that we need alot of projects? I mean what kind of project could you do for biology and take it to a interview? (hey mom, I'm taking that bacteria petri dish to the interview tomorrow, can you wrap it up for me so it doesn't spill? Very Happy )

I agree with the practical experience though, but there isn't a lot of opportunity for people who wants to go in labs. I mean research places won't have some 16, 17 year old working for their lab.
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

AsianSensation wrote:
lol, how can I not work hard, my parents literally took me apart when I told them I had 82 for English, they blew up on me, made me do chores, and other punishments.

I work hard to keep my parents off my back, don't like to be yelled at everyday.

also, what about the people that doesn't want to major in computer science? I know Crono wants to go in bio-something, so does that mean that we need alot of projects? I mean what kind of project could you do for biology and take it to a interview? (hey mom, I'm taking that bacteria petri dish to the interview tomorrow, can you wrap it up for me so it doesn't spill? Very Happy )

I agree with the practical experience though, but there isn't a lot of opportunity for people who wants to go in labs. I mean research places won't have some 16, 17 year old working for their lab.

Not necessarily true, a girl in our school won some Canadian Science Fair with a biological experiment involving bacteria that clean up iron or something, it was quite cool.
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

working hard is for losers Razz

school is all about slacking AND getting good grades. 8)
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes working too hard is just stupid.. Your only young for so long.. anyways asian i think your exagerating everything your saying.. trying too hard makes you do worse!! that is my philosophy.. and its true.. i've found out through experience.. do very little work.. pay attention in class.. and you'll do great.. except your fat mouth inhibits you from listsening to the teacher.. and hence you have to work as hard as you say you work.. so just shut up more often and you'll be set.
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Asok wrote:
working hard is for losers Razz

school is all about slacking AND getting good grades. 8)

sooo true.. especially high school.. university is a bit different.. its hard to slack off and get good grades..but doable:D
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
AsianSensation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

don't tell that to me, i completely understand you, and the need to slack off. Tell it to my parents, my mom found me watching TV for like half an hour, and told me that it was a useless activity, and I should be doing something else productive, like washing the dishes...

Im seriously not exagerating, the only off time i get is probably when im playing basketball, and my parents only let me do that is because it's "good" for me...

also, I really do need to shut up more often and listen to other people...

UBC_Wiskatos wrote:
Not necessarily true, a girl in our school won some Canadian Science Fair with a biological experiment involving bacteria that clean up iron or something, it was quite cool.

well, she can't really bring the bacteria to the interview could she? She is probably going to bring the award certificate she received. And bringing a SAT score, or other contest score is the samething.
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

they arent really impressed with contest scores i dont think... only if you do EXCEPTIONALLY well... which is EXTREMELY hard
Crono

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey, i aint sayin i work hard, but w/e, i'd rather work hard in gr12 than slack off n screw up, u ppl r prob rite, undergrad doesnt matter that much, yea i kno, projects matter, not tat much tho, especially if ur from Massey, lol, i kno bugz n me can get in waterloo n TO easily cuz all da stuff we've been thru

p.s. who da hell needz 2 kno how 2 spell, we got compilers 2 tell us we screwed up, hahaha, j/k...
SilverSprite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah you guys are lucky... pretty much got it made..
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 9:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Crono wrote:
hey, i aint sayin i work hard, but w/e, i'd rather work hard in gr12 than slack off n screw up, u ppl r prob rite, undergrad doesnt matter that much, yea i kno, projects matter, not tat much tho, especially if ur from Massey, lol, i kno bugz n me can get in waterloo n TO easily cuz all da stuff we've been thru

p.s. who da hell needz 2 kno how 2 spell, we got compilers 2 tell us we screwed up, hahaha, j/k...

Razz
Crono

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thx, i like bein a noob, it's fun, hey UBC, do u goto mah skoo?
UBC_Wiskatos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Crono wrote:
thx, i like bein a noob, it's fun, hey UBC, do u goto mah skoo?

I'm just kidding around, wanted to test out the picture. Razz Nope, I don't go to Massey.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 6 of 7  [ 92 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: